a open relationship

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I've never had an open relationship and I don't think I'd be so inclined. That said, if my partner were to express an interest in that kind of lifestyle, I would at least consider it and explore our options.

Nah, not my bag at all.

I may love the idea of an open relationship. The idea of sleeping with multiple women while still being in a loving relationship ticks all the boxes of a good life.

However, there is one major downside for me to an open relationship that quickly becomes apparent: it’s quid pro quo.

If a man is sleeping with multiple women, then she’s just as likely to be sleeping with multiple men.

That’s why personally I can’t handle an open relationship.

If I am in a relationship, I am going to dedicate myself emotionally and physically to the other person. I expect my partner to reciprocate.

So, to answer your question, no, no way in hell would I be okay with an open relationship.

No open relationships for me. For one, the STD risk would freak me out, and for two, I don't want to share, I think it's gross and also, out of pride.

Someone is either with me, or with someone else. I'm not going to be anyone's option.
Very true

I feel like I need to clarify my stance on this. When I think 'open relationship', I'm thinking in terms of loving and stable polyamorous relationships where each person may have multiple partners, but the whole dynamic is based on mutual respect and where everyone is known to each other and are friends. In other words, emotion-based.

Swinging, swapping partners and situations where the 'open' part is more sex-based would be totally out on my end. That sort of thing doesn't cut it for me.

And, deep down - I'm monogamous. I really don't want to share my partner with anyone else, nor do I have a desire to be with anyone else. On the other hand, relationships evolve over time. I think being open to change is really important and that's why I would at least consider other options if my partner were to ever voice them.

Last edited:
the genuine honey moon in our times is that period at the beginning of a relationship when it goes sexual, that awesome sensation of discovery and exploration of a new world ... how can you preserve that feeling even for a life time ... maybe by treating each other somehow as strangers, by keeping some shy mystery and distance (but at the same time keeping the loyalty) ... Balzac said that sleeping in different rooms may be a sign of great atraction between spouses ... reminds me of another movie from the Focker's trilogy: "You are having an affair ... with your wife"

I feel like most relationships are open...and alot of people are unaware that they're sharing

Bingo.
8,000,000,000 People didn't just fall out of the sky over night, and last I checked there's no Magical Stork Delivery Service. People like to fresia.

Fun Fact:

If we graciously call it 7,000,000,000 People instead, and then we divide that by the last 2,000 Years to appease these people who swear that Earth is only around 2,000 years old and think dinosaurs aren't real (I'm bored, it's 6:00 A.M, and I like playing with numbers), the result is an average of around 3,500,000 People born per year. To give a size of the magnitude for that average, Ireland as a country, has a landmass of the relative same size as Florida as a state, but Florida has 4 or 5 times the amount of people in it. Ireland only has around like 5 Million people. So on mathematical average, in the last 2000 Years, each year humans have reproduced 3/4ths of the entire population of Ireland, give or take.

It just doesn't seem or feel that way because it doesn't account for the death rate which counteracts it, nor does it account for governments agendas to have armies (which, would be included in the total death rate along with illnesses, etc.)

Bingo.
8,000,000,000 People didn't just fall out of the sky over night, and last I checked there's no Magical Stork Delivery Service. People like to fresia.

Fun Fact:

If we graciously call it 7,000,000,000 People instead, and then we divide that by the last 2,000 Years to appease these people who swear that Earth is only around 2,000 years old and think dinosaurs aren't real (I'm bored, it's 6:00 A.M, and I like playing with numbers), the result is an average of around 3,500,000 People born per year. To give a size of the magnitude for that average, Ireland as a country, has a landmass of the relative same size as Florida as a state, but Florida has 4 or 5 times the amount of people in it. Ireland only has around like 5 Million people. So on mathematical average, in the last 2000 Years, each year humans have reproduced 3/4ths of the entire population of Ireland, give or take.

It just doesn't seem or feel that way because it doesn't account for the death rate which counteracts it, nor does it account for governments agendas to have armies (which, would be included in the total death rate along with illnesses, etc.)
I lived in Ireland for a few years, it is very sparsely populated.

It's one of the most incredibly beautiful places I've ever been and the locals (gals ) are always super excited to meet anyone who's not Irish, they have next to no immigration.

On the downside the cost of living is astronomical compared to other countries I've visited, in the current downturn it must be bloody insane.

I lived in Ireland for a few years, it is very sparsely populated.

It's one of the most incredibly beautiful places I've ever been and the locals (gals ) are always super excited to meet anyone who's not Irish, they have next to no immigration.

On the downside the cost of living is astronomical compared to other countries I've visited, in the current downturn it must be bloody insane.

I had an online friend or two there several years back, I know a bit about the complications from talking to them on Skype calls semi-frequently. The whole political division thing and Easter Rising doesn't help anybody's wallet, not to mention it makes things incredibly dangerous depending on where you live. Brexit didn't help, as I understand, it just scrambled the paper work for everyone's money. :(

I think we can safely determine through human history now that war is bad.

Latest posts

Back