A Question for the Ladies

• Thread starter TheLonelySkeptic
  • Start date
Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TheLonelySkeptic

Now I know all you women out there insist that most men are pigs, but how do you account for the fact that out of the six girls I've dated, all but two of them have cheated on me? I consider myself a "nice guy." I mean, I really go out of my way to be a knight in shining armor, because that's what I've always thought you girls wanted -- your own Prince Charming. So why is it that whenever I find myself "polishing my armor" I get stabbed in the back? Please. I know why men cheat -- it's pretty self-explanatory. But why do women cheat? Please, enlighten me, and by all means defend your gender. I have little faith I'll find "the one" and if I do, my trust issues will doubtlessly sabotage any chance at a lasting relationship. So tell me, why do they cheat?

Just some conditions to consider when answering:

Of the four girls who cheated on me, two were highly-involved church girls, neither of which had any signs of a sex drive. One was a girl I had known since kindergarten who I thought to be my best friend. And the last was my fiancee, an "honest artist" who insisted I was her one true love.

So don't tell me I'm looking in all the wrong places.

On Valentines day two years ago, I set up white Christmas lights all around my parent's deck (I was eighteen then), cooked my girl dinner and even wrote her a /*******/ sonnet which I /read/ to her over /candlelight/. Yeah, perhaps it's a little overkill, but Jesus Christ what other guy would go through all that trouble only to be /cheated on/ two days later? Was it that I was taken for a sap who tried too hard? Or was I too "dramatic?" We had been dating for over a year, so it's not I was some creepy mouth-breather giving a confused girl more than she asked for.

So don't tell me I wasn't good to them.

I'm no George Clooney (ode to the running joke. I don't actually find George good-looking.), but I'm not ugly. I'm six-foot five inches tall, not skinny but not overweight. Hansomely Scandanavian mutt; you know, fair skin, dark blonde hair and hazel eyes. I'm a bit of a romantic (wrote her a sonnet ;/) and quite passionate (I admit that I do, occasionally, imagine crawling tiredly into bed with her, whoever "her" ends up being...my pillow doubtlessly hates me for this.)

So don't tell me I wasn't enough for them.

I am a nice guy. I'm not a fighter. I don't seek undue attention and I'm not offensively argumentative (I am defensively, and when I'm passionate about something I'll not hesitate to speak out). I'm reserved and slow to anger. . .admittedly it's a bit of a chore to get me out of my comfort zone ;P

So don't suggest I was too unpredictable.

Eh. So. Why do you do it, ladies? Why do you set out to find nice, well-meaning guys like myself, and make us jump through hoops just so you can have your way with us? Does it make you feel empowered or something? e_e

Liapos said:
Now I know all you women out there insist that most men are pigs, but how do you account for the fact that out of the six girls I've dated, all but two of them have cheated on me? I consider myself a "nice guy." I mean, I really go out of my way to be a knight in shining armor, because that's what I've always thought you girls wanted -- your own Prince Charming. So why is it that whenever I find myself "polishing my armor" I get stabbed in the back? Please. I know why men cheat -- it's pretty self-explanatory. But why do women cheat? Please, enlighten me, and by all means defend your gender. I have little faith I'll find "the one" and if I do, my trust issues will doubtlessly sabotage any chance at a lasting relationship. So tell me, why do they cheat?

Of the four girls who cheated on me, two were highly-involved church girls, neither of which had any signs of a sex drive. One was a girl I had known since kindergarten who I thought to be my best friend. And the last was my fiancee, an "honest artist" who insisted I was her one true love.

On Valentines day two years ago, I set up white Christmas lights all around my parent's deck (I was eighteen then), cooked my girl dinner and even wrote her a /*******/ sonnet which I /read/ to her over /candlelight/. Yeah, perhaps it's a little overkill, but Jesus Christ what other guy would go through all that trouble only to be /cheated on/ two days later? Was it that I was taken for a sap who tried too hard? Or was I too "dramatic?" We had been dating for over a year, so it's not I was some creepy mouth-breather giving a confused girl more than she asked for.

I'm no George Clooney (ode to the running joke. I don't actually find George good-looking.), but I'm not ugly. I'm six-foot five inches tall, not skinny but not overweight. Hansomely Scandanavian mutt; you know, fair skin, dark blonde hair and hazel eyes. I'm a bit of a romantic (wrote her a sonnet ;/) and quite passionate (I admit that I do, occasionally, imagine crawling tiredly into bed with her, whoever "her" ends up being...my pillow doubtlessly hates me for this.)

I am a nice guy. I'm not a fighter. I don't seek undue attention and I'm not offensively argumentative (I am defensively, and when I'm passionate about something I'll not hesitate to speak out). I'm reserved and slow to anger. . .admittedly it's a bit of a chore to get me out of my comfort zone ;P

Eh. So. Why do you do it, ladies? Why do you set out to find nice, well-meaning guys like myself, and make us jump through hoops just so you can have your way with us? Does it make you feel empowered or something? e_e

Sheesh...Let me be the first one to express my sincerest regrets on your regrettable experiences with the ladies. You sound like a ******* dream to me! But then, I'm probably not really the type of girl who should be answering this post - I honestly can't give you a straight, reasonable answer on the subject because I've never cheated on a boyfriend (and never been cheated on, to my knowledge. Not all men are pigs). I'm just sorry you've been so disillusioned when it comes to women...My philosophy when it comes to relationships is very simple: I treat you with all the respect, affection, laughter and love that you deserve and you do the same. Somehow, it's always worked out for me.

ringwood said:
Liapos said:

Sheesh...Let me be the first one to express my sincerest regrets on your regrettable experiences with the ladies. You sound like a ******* dream to me! But then, I'm probably not really the type of girl who should be answering this post - I honestly can't give you a straight, reasonable answer on the subject because I've never cheated on a boyfriend (and never been cheated on, to my knowledge. Not all men are pigs). I'm just sorry you've been so disillusioned when it comes to women...My philosophy when it comes to relationships is very simple: I treat you with all the respect, affection, laughter and love that you deserve and you do the same. Somehow, it's always worked out for me.

That's all I ask of someone, you know? That and a warm bed, anyway. No getting past the passionate side of me. xD But yeah. I don't deserve what I got, I can say that, at least, with confidence.

Liapos said:

Ok, I'm not a lady, so this isn't addressed to me :p But sometimes, to put it at its simplest, honeysuckle happens.

Look anywhere, and you will find plenty of people, of both sexes, who have been treated poorly in relationships. Life is complicated, and people make mistakes.. mistakes over whom they are with, and mistakes about how they behave to that person. Sometimes, as in your case, it doesn't seem fair, but then life isn't known for that either.

You have to chalk it up and move on. If someone is going to cheat on you, then there is nothing in the world you can realistically do that will change that fact.

I think cheating depends on the girl you date. Personally I can't think of cheating on someone that is a knight in shining armor. That doesn't make sense. Have they given you reasons for their cheating? Because I don't see any reason.

Now if you were a drunk, wife beater that would be a different story. : ) I'm sorry that your luck with women hasn't been all that good.

Cheating is usually about weak people who don't take their relationships seriously. They don't understand how to love and care only for their personal pleasure at that moment. You may have done nothing wrong at all, it usually isn't about the person being cheated on at all. They usually don't even consider the person at the time. Don't beat yourself up, you deserved better and hopefully will find it.

hi liapos. im sorry to hear that you have been unfortunate in some of your past relationships...
i cant really give insight as to why they would cheat, ive not had much experience with relationships but i couldnt imagine ever cheating on a significant other....if you are as sweet, caring and loving as you mentioned, then perhaps it may be the types of girls you have dated or purely been unlucky....have some faith, it seems by something you mentioned in your post, that you are quite young, so don't despair just yet :)

oh and also, women dont think all men are pigs....we do acknowledge some exist, lol, but i think you would find the consensus is that there are some really great guys out there, its just hard finding them sometimes

Liapos said:
Please. I know why men cheat -- it's pretty self-explanatory.
Oh really, is it? Then explain to me why men cheat. You make it sound rather simple, like: "They just love sex? Those poor men can't resist all those urges and cravings."

Anyway, here's my two cents:
People cheat because they're unsatisfied. It doesn't even have to be because of their partner doing something wrong, or being in a sucky relationship - but because they want something new and different. They want to know what it's like with someone else.
And it's something exciting and adventurous. It's a sweet crime that, even if you get caught, you don't go to jail for.
Plus, it's partially human instinct. Sex is essential for reproduction. We've always had sexual impulses.

I don't think there's any need to make a huge distinction between men and women. Women feel the same desires.
The only difference is that men are pigs (no j/k).
Men can enjoy sex easier than women, and they're more expressive about their sexual desires. Women hold back more, maybe because of shame or because they don't really know what they like. (Women need a lot more time working that out than men do). I personally think that's the only difference.

I'm not making excuses for cheating, I'm just giving an explanation here.
I hope it's of some use. I'm very sorry those women cheated on you, you don't deserve that.

Oh really, is it? Then explain to me why men cheat. You make it sound rather simple, like: "They just love sex? Those poor men can't resist all those urges and cravings."

I was being facetious. Your knee-jerk response reeks of sexism.

They want to know what it's like with someone else. And it's something exciting and adventurous. It's a sweet crime that, even if you get caught, you don't go to jail for.
Plus it's partially human instinct. Sex is essential for reproduction.

You might not be making excuses outright, but there is a fine line between explaining something and explaining something away. From the way you approach the subject as though it were a harmless, childish matter of experimentation by calling it a "sweet crime," it's apparent that the general attitude of your post leans toward the latter. In all honesty, I took quite a bit of offense to this (and having so often experienced the damaging, demoralizing effects of cheating, almost took it personally).

Besides that, your post is full of absolutes and sweeping generalizations. I apologize if my response seems a bit hasty and snappy. I'm in a sour mood and I'm pressed for time.

querida said:
hi liapos. im sorry to hear that you have been unfortunate in some of your past relationships...
i cant really give insight as to why they would cheat, ive not had much experience with relationships but i couldnt imagine ever cheating on a significant other....if you are as sweet, caring and loving as you mentioned, then perhaps it may be the types of girls you have dated or purely been unlucky....have some faith, it seems by something you mentioned in your post, that you are quite young, so don't despair just yet :)

oh and also, women dont think all men are pigs....we do acknowledge some exist, lol, but i think you would find the consensus is that there are some really great guys out there, its just hard finding them sometimes

I know. And I realize that there are plenty of good women out there. The problem is myself. Having been cheated on so many times, I have begun to believe that there's something at least off-putting about me. So when I do find that one decent person, I won't even recognize her for it. :<

I can't trust anyone. Everyone lies. People lie to cover something up. People lie to hurt others, and protect others from hurt. People lie to save face, to appear smarter, better, kinder than they are. Hell, people lie to break the ice, as conversation starters.

I don't trust anyone, is the problem. Anyone, from the stranger passing by to my own mother. xD In the most superficial of situations to the most platonic, I cannot trust a word anyone says. It's. . . hard xD

Liapos said:

They want to know what it's like with someone else. And it's something exciting and adventurous. It's a sweet crime that, even if you get caught, you don't go to jail for.
Plus it's partially human instinct. Sex is essential for reproduction.

You might not be making excuses outright, but there is a fine line between explaining something and explaining something away. From the way you approach the subject as though it were a harmless, childish matter of experimentation by calling it a "sweet crime," it's apparent that the general attitude of your post leans toward the latter. In all honesty, I took quite a bit of offense to this (and having so often experienced the damaging, demoralizing effects of cheating, almost took it personally).

Besides that, your post is full of absolutes and sweeping generalizations. I apologize if my response seems a bit hasty and snappy. I'm in a sour mood and I'm pressed for time.

Hang on...I think you're being a little hard on Cherrytree - she was just being honest. That's how I took her post and I'm a woman. Besides, your question 'Why do woman cheat?' is pretty broad, isn't it? I could sit here and list a hundred reasons why people cheat (and that goes for both genders) - it's not a cut and dried answer, which you seem to be expecting. I'll put down your response to her by being in a self-professed 'sour' mood, but don't be so hasty to judge other peoples responses and take them personally.

I agree with ringwood, cherrywood sounded like she was just being honest in her opinion, and though it might not be what you expected or wanted to hear, but some of her comments made sense. People can have the perfect life, the perfect person in their life and yet they will go ahead and screw it all over in an attempt to change things around. It is not till very later that they begin to realize what it is that they lost in the bargain.

It's like what a writer I once read, wrote (the gist of his argument): no matter your conditions, you will find a way to be unhappy.

Liapos said:
Sorry, sometimes it's hard to tell what someone means when you can't hear the way they say it. I wasn't being very serious when I made that comment either. I just meant that if maybe you thought seriously about why men cheat, you'd find the answer to your own question. Because if you'd just blame it on men's need for sex, that's a little sexist too.

I don't think of cheating as a "sweet crime", but maybe that's how some people experience it. They got some sort of high out of doing something wrong. It's not my personal view on cheating.
I pointed out the human instincts because people sometimes entirely forget that we have them. We are basically animals, but we're civilized.

I definitely don't think cheating is harmless. A few days ago my boyfriend told me he's happy with me, but he's curious as to what it's all like with someone else (a relationship as a whole, not just sex). This already made me feel horrible, even though I understand it, since I'm his first serious relationship. But if he, instead of just talking about it, went off with someone else and cheated on me, I'd be devastated.

I partially wrote about it lightly (which is maybe why you took it as if it's not something I take seriously), because it is such a destructive thing to do.
Sorry for any offences.

Thanks, ringwood and somniloquy ;)

Though I am not a girl, this is my 2 cents worth. Generally I agree with Cherrytree. People sometimes cheat because they get a high from experiencing new things. However, I disagree with Cherrytree over women carrying more emotional baggage than men. Infact, I think that is rather a sexist statement too. Cheating knows no gender I think. You just have to be on your guard. Never trust your partner totally. For guys, never give girls all your money and your time, and girls never give your money and all your time to the guys. Do have your own space, your own life and your own back up plan. Nothing is for sure in relationships. Take concrete steps in protecting yourself, so when and if it may, your partner leaves you, you still carry on your life, and you can show her/him, you are much better of on your own, than her cheating ways, and can only pray his/her new partner does the same thing to him/her.

SadRabbit said:
However, I disagree with Cherrytree over women carrying more emotional baggage than men. Infact, I think that is rather a sexist statement too. Cheating knows no gender I think.
I didn't say anything about women carrying more emotionial baggage. I said there might be more shame in expressing sexual feelings (that is what I experience personally), and that it's harder for women to figure out what they like. Sex is different for women.
My English teacher bluntly said the following: For men it's easier because they just have to put something in, and women have to let something in.

Hm, might have sound a bit better in Dutch :p
But I hope you can understand what I mean anyway.
And like I said before, there's no need to make a huge distinction between men and women when it comes to cheating.

Liapos said:

People cheat for many different reasons so there is really no right answer here. As was mentioned previously, its usually because they want to experience something new or feeling unsatisfied but unwilling to let go of the old relationship. You sound like a nice guy that treated the girls well. Have you thought about that maybe you were too nice on some occasions? A woman likes a man that will treat her well but not to the point where he completely forgets about himself. Women respect men that can stand up for themselves and have life outside of the relationship. If she acted in a wrong way and she knows it but you were the one doing all the apologizing, witting her sonnets ect. she may have lost respect. If it was always all about her and you are never willing to stand up for yourself in any argument then it can lead to the woman loosing respect and maybe cheating. Does it in any way sound like you?

Liapos, can I have you all wrapped up with a bow on top? :D

Seriously, I don't know. I just don't know. I wouldn't cheat on someone. I don't get cheating. I don't understand why people do it.

VanillaCreme said:

Seriously, I don't know. I just don't know. I wouldn't cheat on someone. I don't get cheating. I don't understand why people do it.

>.> If you really want me.

xD

Liapos said:
VanillaCreme said:

xD

<_<

Try me.

:D

VanillaCreme said:
Liapos said:
VanillaCreme said:

xD

<_<

Try me.

:D

Maybe I will. >.>

Latest posts

Back