Am I an Ass?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TheLonelySkeptic

Those of you who have known me at all on these forums, have spoken to me on msn, or have talked with me on the threads here...

Do I come off as an ass?

I mean, I'm not a person who is preoccupied with myself. I have terrible self esteem; I hate most everything about me; yet people still tell me I'm being an ass. I try my best to be cordial with people, but for some reason good grammar and syntax just pisses people off, and makes me come off as an ass. I'm not prideful, but I know that I'm smarter than the average flotsam (that is, objects floating in water) out there. Maybe that comes off as pretentious, I don't know. I try not to act like it.

This is why I have absolutely no friends (and that's not an understatement; the list of numbers in my cellphone consists of Verizon, my voicemail, and my parent's house).

I've lurked a lot of your threads and you didn't come off as an ******* at any point imo

Liapos said:
Those of you who have known me at all on these forums, have spoken to me on msn, or have talked with me on the threads here...

Do I come off as an ass?

I mean, I'm not a person who is preoccupied with myself. I have terrible self esteem; I hate most everything about me; yet people still tell me I'm being an ass. I try my best to be cordial with people, but for some reason good grammar and syntax just pisses people off, and makes me come off as an ass. I'm not prideful, but I know that I'm smarter than the average flotsam (that is, objects floating in water) out there. Maybe that comes off as pretentious, I don't know. I try not to act like it.

This is why I have absolutely no friends (and that's not an understatement; the list of numbers in my cellphone consists of Verizon, my voicemail, and my parent's house).

roflmao@ you thinking you have to explain what flotsam is.

There are some highly intelligent folks here on the forum, Liapos. Good grammar doesn't equate to being an *******, dear. :) But, please consider that words, whether proper grammar or gutter slang, can be used as weapons.

EDIT: BTW, sometimes, it's all about perception. You cant control how others perceive you sometimes.

Liapos said:

Do I come off as an ass?

If you have to ask, you're not doing it properly.

I wouldn't worry.

Liapos, I don't know you very well or what is going on exactly. I will comment though that saying someone is being an "ass" is a judgement. It's not really the root or cause of a conflict between two people. Next time someone says your an ass ask them to explain exactly what they mean. It could be that your "good grammer" brings up insecurities in some people who do not have that. They may feel inadequate when talking to you and then think that it's your fault that they feel that way because "your an ass"...lol There is one senario of what may be happening.

I've never thought you were an ass. But, I agree with Eve. You really can't control the perceptions of others. People are going to think what they want to think, whether or not it's realistic.

I agree with those others here. Not everyone is going to like you. Some people want to drink, smoke, or snort their brains into oblivion and then get upset that they can't even understand really what others are saying.

I haven't seen you to be an ass at all. At least not yet :p

Please don't take it as an attack...

mmm...it's sort of a contradiction when you say that you're not preoccupied with yourself
if you say you have low selfesteem.

Perhapse..an inferior complex. You can be educated to in certain area of your interest.
fresia..."your area of experties"... sounds more intelligent or professional :p
But you'll never have all the the answers and to know all and be all.
Btw, your honeysuckle stinks too...it's hard to be humble when you're a smart ass , i know.
Geeweezzz...thanks for reminding me of what floatsum and jetsum is..
Yeap...fake it until you make it...lmao
Maybe reverse pride...i dunno

Maybe you suck at emotional intelligents..i dunno....That would be the right side of your brain.
Or lack at relationships or making friends skills.
mmm....knowlege is not enough, it takes practice, practice, practice.

perhaps..you think with your brain ,but still make decisions base
off of your emotions. In other words you react to your emotions
as an ass. or you lack self descipline. You know what the correct
answer is...but still act wrong...I dunno.

It's not rcoket science but sometimes even a god **** genius can't figure that one out.lmao
KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.

It's alright...I've been called many names aside from an Ass in my life time...you're not the first
and you won't be the last..lmao

There's always room for growth ...man. (that's what she said..:p)

Lonesome Crow said:
Please don't take it as an attack...

mmm...it's sort of a contradiction when you say that you're not preoccupied with yourself
if you say you have low selfesteem.

Perhapse..an inferior complex. You can be educated to in certain area of your interest.
fresia..."your area of experties"... sounds more intelligent or professional :p
But you'll never have all the the answers and to know all and be all.
Btw, your honeysuckle stinks too...it's hard to be humble when you're a smart ass , i know.
Geeweezzz...thanks for reminding me of what floatsum and jetsum is..
Yeap...fake it until you make it...lmao
Maybe reverse pride...i dunno

Maybe you suck at emotional intelligents..i dunno.
Or lack at relationships or making friends skills.
mmm....knowlege is not enough, it takes practice, practice, practice.

It's not rcoket science but sometimes even a god **** genius can't figure that one out.lmao
KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.

It's alright...I've been called many names aside from an Ass in my life time...you're not the first
and you won't be the last..lmao

There's always room for growth ...man. (that's what she said..:p)

Umm...say wha?

And for the record, no Liapos, I don't think of you as an ass. You articulate yourself well, and there's no crime or shame in that.

oki doki....I'll put it another way

Capitalize on your assets and work on your liabilites.

If it ain't broken don't fix it...but sometimes it is broken...lmao
You have to stop living in denial and accept that it's broken (liabilities) in order for you to fix it.
In other words...stay teachable or always willing to learn...or continue to grow no matter where you're at.
Your assets might be someone's liabilites. Visa versa, your liabilites might be someone's else assets.
Everyone that comes into your life has something you can learn from.
Kind of like a plant...a plant grows outward in all directions...not just linier or in one direction.

Floatsum and jetsum...A fair amount of people percieved that as scums floating on infested water in the boon dogs.
An average person mostly likely won't think they're scums and will take offens to that.
No, you can't control how others thing about you...but being appropriate and considerate of others is a nice virtue to have.
You'll increase the odds of people treating nice and make yourself more approchable if you don't act like a know it all smartass IRL.
Most people don't like to be made feel like they're less than.....duh...You don't like to be treated that way.
It's the samething as saying..I'll speak my mind honestly. There's a fine line of being honest and being berligerant.
Maybe it's just style or the way you say you're words and carry yourself in RL . Maybe people sense aerogrance instead of pride.

Perhapse ..improve oneself without compair oneself to others..
Or improving oneself without putting others down.

I don't know you at all, Liapos, but I think I know where you're coming from. If you're like me, you have an above average IQ (that's not a boast, I'm just telling the truth) and probably like to read and keep your mind sharp like I do.
I've found that most people out there are concerned only with TV (the national religion), drinking, sports, socializing on a very superficial scale, and going to work. I tend to get that "glazed donut" look when I delve into anything substantial with the majority of people.
You're not alone, friend.

The_Matrix said:
I don't know you at all, Liapos, but I think I know where you're coming from. If you're like me, you have an above average IQ (that's not a boast, I'm just telling the truth) and probably like to read and keep your mind sharp like I do.
I've found that most people out there are concerned only with TV (the national religion), drinking, sports, socializing on a very superficial scale, and going to work. I tend to get that "glazed donut" look when I delve into anything substantial with the majority of people.

Sigh. Ya. On severa occassions when people were messing with something for hours and couldn't figure it out, I can walk up and figure it out in seconds..... People don't like it very much.

The_Matrix said:

This is exactly how I feel, on these forums and elsewhere. I like to talk about philosophy, religion (rather, my lack thereof), things I've drawn from fiction and non-fiction... but nobody seems to want to talk about anything but, as you said, whatever is on television or their favorite band.

Ah yes, I forgot the music aspect of people's lives. I know one guy at work who treats the music he listens to as if it's a way of life.

The_Matrix said:
Ah yes, I forgot the music aspect of people's lives. I know one guy at work who treats the music he listens to as if it's a way of life.

What's wrong with that?

Rifle_Eyes said:
The_Matrix said:

What's wrong with that?

With that as a primary focus, a shallow life is sure to be the reward. Music is not the be all and end all of life. There's a whole world of discovery out there.

The_Matrix said:
Rifle_Eyes said:
The_Matrix said:

What's wrong with that?

With that as a primary focus, a shallow life is sure to be the reward. Music is not the be all and end all of life. There's a whole world of discovery out there.

so, what are you doing on an online forum if there's so much discovering to be done?

Rifle_Eyes said:
The_Matrix said:
Rifle_Eyes said:
The_Matrix said:

What's wrong with that?

so, what are you doing on an online forum if there's so much discovering to be done?

I don't spend all my time here. Maybe you do. As you'll notice if you read prior posts in this thread, I read extensively. There's a world of discovery in that alone. I don't sit and worship musical bands. Excuse me for saying so but you seem like a bit of a honeysuckle disturber. I'm discussing something in this person's thread, addressing him/her personally and along you come to stir things up.

Latest posts

Back