Am I forgetting to breathe?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomeoneSomewhere

Reaction score
I know this sounds weirder than what you would have ever heard on this forum but this might be a product of living with anxiety for too long or something like that.

When I'm in deep thought (usually alone), I often start feeling a heavy chest. When I suddenly snap back into consciousness (the real world), I'd notice that I have held my breath and that is what is making me feel that way. And it is totally involuntary for me.

Also, the amount that my chest/stomach expands while breathing has decreased substantially. I'm not sure if something other than my mental illnesses is causing this (like a cardiac illness maybe) but does anyone here relate to this?

i get this often. i'm pretty sure its just anxiety.. and the more i think about it the worse it gets! i would tell ya to calm yourself, but i know thats not going to help!

SomeoneSomewhere said:
I know this sounds weirder than what you would have ever heard on this forum but this might be a product of living with anxiety for too long or something like that.

When I'm in deep thought (usually alone), I often start feeling a heavy chest. When I suddenly snap back into consciousness (the real world), I'd notice that I have held my breath and that is what is making me feel that way. And it is totally involuntary for me.

Also, the amount that my chest/stomach expands while breathing has decreased substantially. I'm not sure if something other than my mental illnesses is causing this (like a cardiac illness maybe) but does anyone here relate to this?

This actually sounds like you're going unconscious, your body kinda regulates heavy breathing when this happens.

Strange.

My mom used to do that when she was depressed a few years ago..I literally had to follow her around and keep nudging her when she did that.As things got better and her medications changed,she stopped.But it'd scary stuff so I really hope that you'd take care of it soon enough :S

SomeoneSomewhere said:

If it helps i usually experience such a feeling when i'm on the edge of an anxiety attack. But i would suggest speaking to you GP about it, just to rule out anything nasty.

I sometimes get a heavy feeling in my chest when I am depressed. For me, the best thing to do is to get up and start moving. It seems like thinking too much is causing your anxiety. If the feeling is causing you a lot of problems, I'd also suggest seeing a doctor just to rule out anything medical. *hugs*

Latest posts

Back