An introduction, and some of my story

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

resist73

Reaction score
Here I am, lonely, miserable and feeling trapped. It feels like things are so bad this is a crisis and things will have to change, but instead the unhappiness goes on year after year. From what I've seen, a lot of the posters here can relate. For me, it's always been like this. As a child I was off by myself and frightened of others. In high school I sat by myself at lunch, until I felt so self-conscious I just started skipping lunch. Same in college, and that's when the depression hit big-time. Everywhere I looked people were having a good time, making friends, not being alone, and my life was being wasted.
After graduation (13 years ago), I moved to a new city and tried to make a new start, and failed. I took two separate martial arts for over a year each, sailing lessons, scuba, camping, etc, but evermore came out by the same door as in I went. I'm not a friend-maker. I tried going to bars a few times, which was torture getting myself to go (a lot of the time I'd chicken out at the door), and then excruciating to sit or stand there by myself not knowing what to do and hopefully being ignored (better than being stared at and people seeing what a freak I am). I went back to grad school and it was the same story. I'd see people in class and around the offices, but that's it. Over a decade of trying and hope has added up to nothing, so there's more to be miserable about.
Today is my thirty-sixth birthday, and I don't know a single person in this city. There are only two family members I can call, and talking to them only makes me feel worse because they invalidate my unhappiness. They take the line that if I wanted to change, I'd change. I must be happy the way I am. Believe me, if I really had the key, I'd have turned it twenty years ago. Sometimes the unhappiness becomes unbearable. It feels like there's a bubble inside me that's pushing outward, like I'm going to burst. I can go for long stretches where I push the pain to the side and ignore it, but eventually something will trigger a crash. It's usually some reminder that I'm so different from other people.
I've had one relationship, which was three years ago, lasted a couple of months, and was one-sided. I met her on-line, after years of trying dating websites and not getting a single meeting. I thought of this woman as my girlfriend, but I don't think she felt the same about me. It was always up to me to initiate anything, and one day she just stopped returning my calls. I think she just went out with me to pass the time until a real boyfriend turned up, and one did. Not a good ending, but not being alone really cleared up my depression. I felt so good I stopped the Prozac, and kept feeling good for about a year afterward. I'd finally turned a corner and was living life. But there was no repeat performance, it had been a fluke, and I was back to where I had been before.
To describe myself, on the old one to ten scale of attractiveness, I'd say I'm a seven. I hardly drink and have never used recreational drugs, but did inject a little anabolic steroids for a while. Now instead of weights I'm mostly into running.
These are a few elements from my story, which some people might find interesting.

hi resist73...welcome to the forums.
im sorry to hear about what you have been through over the years, but you are definately correct in saying there are people on here that can relate to your story, or at least in part, and can be a friendly ear to talk to...

happy birthday for today, i hope that for future birthdays things turn around for you :)

speak soon.

resist73 said:
Here I am, lonely, miserable and feeling trapped. It feels like things are so bad this is a crisis and things will have to change, but instead the unhappiness goes on year after year. From what I've seen, a lot of the posters here can relate. For me, it's always been like this. As a child I was off by myself and frightened of others. In high school I sat by myself at lunch, until I felt so self-conscious I just started skipping lunch. Same in college, and that's when the depression hit big-time. Everywhere I looked people were having a good time, making friends, not being alone, and my life was being wasted.
After graduation (13 years ago), I moved to a new city and tried to make a new start, and failed. I took two separate martial arts for over a year each, sailing lessons, scuba, camping, etc, but evermore came out by the same door as in I went. I'm not a friend-maker. I tried going to bars a few times, which was torture getting myself to go (a lot of the time I'd chicken out at the door), and then excruciating to sit or stand there by myself not knowing what to do and hopefully being ignored (better than being stared at and people seeing what a freak I am). I went back to grad school and it was the same story. I'd see people in class and around the offices, but that's it. Over a decade of trying and hope has added up to nothing, so there's more to be miserable about.
Today is my thirty-sixth birthday, and I don't know a single person in this city. There are only two family members I can call, and talking to them only makes me feel worse because they invalidate my unhappiness. They take the line that if I wanted to change, I'd change. I must be happy the way I am. Believe me, if I really had the key, I'd have turned it twenty years ago. Sometimes the unhappiness becomes unbearable. It feels like there's a bubble inside me that's pushing outward, like I'm going to burst. I can go for long stretches where I push the pain to the side and ignore it, but eventually something will trigger a crash. It's usually some reminder that I'm so different from other people.
I've had one relationship, which was three years ago, lasted a couple of months, and was one-sided. I met her on-line, after years of trying dating websites and not getting a single meeting. I thought of this woman as my girlfriend, but I don't think she felt the same about me. It was always up to me to initiate anything, and one day she just stopped returning my calls. I think she just went out with me to pass the time until a real boyfriend turned up, and one did. Not a good ending, but not being alone really cleared up my depression. I felt so good I stopped the Prozac, and kept feeling good for about a year afterward. I'd finally turned a corner and was living life. But there was no repeat performance, it had been a fluke, and I was back to where I had been before.
To describe myself, on the old one to ten scale of attractiveness, I'd say I'm a seven. I hardly drink and have never used recreational drugs, but did inject a little anabolic steroids for a while. Now instead of weights I'm mostly into running.
These are a few elements from my story, which some people might find interesting.

Hi, Resist, and welcome to the forum. I hope that you will be able to get a little something here that will help ease some of the pain you seem to be experiencing.
You said that you are not a "friend-maker." WHat is it that you feel keeps you from being able to establish friendships? You seem to be well spoken, educated and able to hold a conversation. You apparently have a lot going for you. Is there one specific reason you can't seem to make friends, or is it multiple reasons? Have you ever considered talking with a psychologist? Perhaps you have social anxiety? Unfortunately, it's hard for some random person on the internet so give helpful advice when they aren't very familiar with your situation. At best, we can take a stab in the dark, based on our owns pasts, and hope that it helps. Other than that, all we can do is offer support. So, feel free to reach out for support here on the forum. There are quite a few people here who would be more than happy to talk to you.
I hope that this helps, at least a bit. Take care, and post often. :)

(((((hugs)))))

Eve

EDIT: PS. Happy Birthday! :)

Happy B-day and welcome :) There are many very helpful and supportive people here. Maybe this will turn into another positive corner turn for you. I wish you all the best. I've had similar people issues, and my family is well.. not really helpful at all and don't listen or want to understand. You won't be alone at all here and maybe you'll be able to make some good friends :) At the very least you've found a safe place to freely express yourself and be understood and supported.

resist73 said:
.. From what I've seen, a lot of the posters here can relate. ..

Sure enough

Welsome

Being alone is like an addict's drug to me. I hate it completely, but can't stay away. When I'm around people, I can feel my anxiety level rising. The newer the people are, the higher and faster it goes. I want to escape. When I do, and am off by myself, I feel an initial flush of comfort and relief. I'm not saying I like being alone, it's misery, but I'm still drawn in.

For about six years I took a pretty high daily dosage of Prozac, which took the edge off of the unhappiness, but there wasn't any progress in making connections.

resist73 said:
When I'm around people, I can feel my anxiety level rising. The newer the people are, the higher and faster it goes. I want to escape. When I do, and am off by myself, I feel an initial flush of comfort and relief. I'm not saying I like being alone, it's misery, but I'm still drawn in.

I do that also but don't see it as the appeal of being alone but more the escape of the anxiety. Same thing actually.

resist73 said:
Being alone is like an addict's drug to me. I hate it completely, but can't stay away. When I'm around people, I can feel my anxiety level rising. The newer the people are, the higher and faster it goes. I want to escape. When I do, and am off by myself, I feel an initial flush of comfort and relief. I'm not saying I like being alone, it's misery, but I'm still drawn in.

For about six years I took a pretty high daily dosage of Prozac, which took the edge off of the unhappiness, but there wasn't any progress in making connections.

Hi!

and yeah, i can relate to it...
i usually like people around - but i'll always stay away from the group....

what can i say...
you have to fight it. you can't make friends sitting by yourself, and if you don't try and fight - it just gets easier and simpler to stay alone - but not less painful.

you sound like a very very cool guy, so don't give up. i bet a lot of your loneliness is caused by your self-isolation....

i know a lot of mine is......

((((((((((((hug)))))))))))))

oh, and feel free to talk to me if you like :)

shade.

Latest posts

Back