Any advice on how to make this go well?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb8686

Reaction score
I've been with my boyfriend for quite some time now and have yet to meet his family. I'm so scared and nervous ( I know it's pathetic)

I know in order for our relationship to really blossom I have got to start coming around!

His sister is getting married and having an engagement party in about two weeks.

Everyone invited to the wedding will be there as the wedding will be in another state.

How the heck should I come off? Shy? Quiet? In situations like this I can MAKE myself be more outgoing.... I just want to come off as NORMAL as possible this way when I'm sitting at the table the attention isn't focussed on "the mystery woman that finally decided to show her face"

I'm really getting nervous about this. I do not want to embarass myself or my boyfriend. Any suggestions?

Try not to "act." Don't try to impress them or give them a false depiction of who you are... it works against you in my own experience.

Do try to be relaxed and find a reason to be happy (you're with someone that cares for you... the best reason there is.) Be genuinely interested in learning about his family and the conversation should flow naturally. Again in my experience people steer clear of people who are shy because they aren't easy to read. Initiate conversation with as many people as possible and you'll be seen as normal.

Yep, best thing is not to ask yourself these questions. Just go there expecting to have some fun. I know it's hard, but at least you don't have to worry about doing it wrong now you know what you have to do.

Just be nervous. :D If that's how you feel when you meet them, tell them right off the bat that you're a little nervous about meeting them for the first time and they'll be really nice. Trust me, it works. The whole time they'll try to include you and treat you nice because you admitted that you're nervous. Complete honesty!

And yeah don't try to act calm or anything--they'll see right through it or misunderstand it as disinterest.

----Steve

Badjedidude said:
Just be nervous. :D If that's how you feel when you meet them, tell them right off the bat that you're a little nervous about meeting them for the first time and they'll be really nice. Trust me, it works. The whole time they'll try to include you and treat you nice because you admitted that you're nervous. Complete honesty!

And yeah don't try to act calm or anything--they'll see right through it or misunderstand it as disinterest.

----Steve

as usual - best words ever steve, imho.
most girls i talk to would be kinda flattered :)

Its perfectly natural to be nervous in your sitation. Dont try to make yourself act a certain way, but try and act as much like your normal self as possible. Some simple suggestions would be to smile, be polite, and take part in some small talk with the family. Good luck.

sb8686 said:
I've been with my boyfriend for quite some time now and have yet to meet his family. I'm so scared and nervous ( I know it's pathetic)

I know in order for our relationship to really blossom I have got to start coming around!

His sister is getting married and having an engagement party in about two weeks.

Everyone invited to the wedding will be there as the wedding will be in another state.

How the heck should I come off? Shy? Quiet? In situations like this I can MAKE myself be more outgoing.... I just want to come off as NORMAL as possible this way when I'm sitting at the table the attention isn't focussed on "the mystery woman that finally decided to show her face"

I'm really getting nervous about this. I do not want to embarass myself or my boyfriend. Any suggestions?

And you're a member of this site for what reason, exactly? I think most people on here have bigger problems to worry about than this.

No disrespect.

Yeah, but then again, this isn't some exlusive club with membership cards and private yachts. If she's here, she feels she needs to be here. Everyone is welcome. Anyone and everyone could probably find something of value on here. ^_^

----Steve

CAS. Who are you to decide who has the right to be here or not to be here?

I think you are right. You have more problems than myself.

Go pound sand up your ass :club:

CAS said:
And you're a member of this site for what reason, exactly? I think most people on here have bigger problems to worry about than this.

No disrespect.

And who exactly are you to tell people that their problems are not important enough to be a member here?

So once people are in a relationship then they are no longer welcome on this forum? I dont exactly understand what your logic (or lack of) is.

People will remember if you are polite;the only people that ever make a bad first impression on me are those whom are rude. I'm sure it will go great for you sb. :)

Steel said:
People will remember if you are polite;the only people that ever make a bad first impression on me are those whom are rude. I'm sure it will go great for you sb. :)

Steel has hit the nail on the head. Courtesy is by no means dead, but sometimes it seems as though it's on the ropes. When people encounter a courteous person, it can be like a breath of fresh air, and they will remember that person fondly. Be polite and courteous, and you'll do well!

Good luck!

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES! I feel much more confident!

Even though I am "in a relationship" TRUST me I still am LONLEY!!

Something struck me.. and I m way too curious. I thought you and your bf broke up? that's what you mentioned in your other thread. The following are your words taken from it which was created before 6 days (1/1/10) of the date of creation of this thread (1/6/10)

"Came out of an EXTREMELY abusive relationship about 2 1/2 years ago. Started dating another guy who eventually became my boyfriend. He's a great guy. We just broke up before Christmas.

We were together 2 years and I am SO insecure and have SO much anxiety I never came around to meet his family!"

http://www.alonelylife.com/showthread.php?tid=8156

Did u get back together?

Latest posts

Back