Anybody ever heard of Amway?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrannySmith111

Reaction score
A friend of mine asked me if I was interested in a business opportunity today. Mentioned something about Amway. Apparently they are a multi level marketing company of some sort. I did some research on them, and I've heard a lot of positive and negative things about them.

I'm not familiar with them at all. Just wondering if any of you guys are familiar with them and what exactly they are? Do you think I should pursue this so called opportunity?

GrannySmith111 said:
I'm not familiar with them at all. Just wondering if any of you guys are familiar with them and what exactly they are? Do you think I should pursue this so called opportunity?

I have definitely heard of them. They are famous and long established. On the level of Avon or Tupperware. I can't say if they are a good opportunity or not. But they are legit.

So, do you guys know what kind of business opportunity they provide? Is it like you selling their products or something like that?

Its kind of weird that I have never heard of any of their home care or nutrition products.

Also, any particular reason why I should "run away"?

I don't know what to believe. I see the word "pyramid scheme" being associated with the name Amway, while others are like "this is a legit business opportunity if you do it properly".

Compare it to Mary Kay, the cosmetics multi-level marketing/direct sales company.

I obviously can't tell you what to do, but I will say that I personally wouldn't become involved with Amway. It seems like to make any money (or to make a living) in it, you already have to be well-networked and devote a large chunk of your time (and resources, eg, money) into it.

*shrug*

I see, so these multi level marketing companies are more common than I think. I know a friend who did Mary Kay. I wasn't very familiar at the time with stuff like this, but from what I saw it was basically her having little parties at her house to sell the products from Mary Kay.

Its just really interesting that I have never heard of Amway in my life. If the company really is that big, I don't get why I've never seen or heard of any of their nutrition products.

Any other thoughts guys?

GrannySmith111 said:
Its just really interesting that I have never heard of Amway in my life. If the company really is that big, I don't get why I've never seen or heard of any of their nutrition products.Any other thoughts guys?

I get the feeling that no one ever actually uses them but Amway devotees, perhaps one reason it is not a great opportunity. I have a friend who does something like that and mostly she sells via parties to other people in the business and their family / friends. I have never used their products.

GrannySmith111 said:
If the company really is that big, I don't get why I've never seen or heard of any of their nutrition products.

They sell a lot more than just nutrition products.

They have been around since the late 50s. At the end of last year Forbes listed them as the 28th in their list of "America's Largest Private Companies". They operate in over 100 countries and territories.

I couldn't say why you never heard of them. I also couldn't say if it would be something for you to pursue. It wouldn't be anything that interested me.

^^^Because they follow what would be considered by many to be a pyramid scheme's structure/model.

If there is such a thing, they might be considered a legal pyramid scheme, as opposed to an outright illegal setup.

I guess you could go do some research on pyramid schemes in general, then do some research on Amway and see if you agree that it fits the model or not.

I'd certainly suggest you do some research before getting involved, just to be on the safe side.

Yeah, Amway sounds really fishy. The fact that I've never heard of their company or products before is strange. Also, every time I google "pyramid scheme" their name comes up. It just freaks me out lol.

I'm gonna stay away from them for now.

GrannySmith111 said:
Yeah, Amway sounds really fishy. The fact that I've never heard of their company or products before is strange. Also, every time I google "pyramid scheme" their name comes up. It just freaks me out lol.

I'm gonna stay away from them for now.

Probably a wise move. Every time I have heard people talk about Amway, they use the word "cult" in the same breath. I've never sold Amway products, so I don't know the validity of that claim. But as soon as people start alleging that a company has cultish behaviors, I run screaming.

Its tacky because it generally involves constantly hitting up family, friends and coworkers to buy the stuff the company sells. (hence the parties) which makes a lot of people uncomfortable. People who know you will always be wondering what your catch is or when the sales pitch is going to occur. Then you'll become that guy / that girl no one wants to be around.

Latest posts

Back