Anyone here use alcohol to forget about loneliness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that tossing back a few brews helps to take the edge off things. I am lucky that I can control my intake, and do not feel like i need to drink each day.

I'm pretty certain cutting out drinking has contributed immensely to my overall sense of feeling better physically and mentally. The couple of times I've had a few beer in the last few months I definitely felt it in a less than positive way.

WildernessWildChild said:
I'm pretty certain cutting out drinking has contributed immensely to my overall sense of feeling better physically and mentally. The couple of times I've had a few beer in the last few months I definitely felt it in a less than positive way.

Sometimes I also get that way. I'll go a long time without drinking, then I'll drink and it reminds me of why I don't want to do it more than once ever so often. I feel that drinking takes the edge off of both the bad, and the good. For me, it just makes all feelings diminish.

Well I never drink beer so... I don't know. Living alone with no friends for more than a year hasn't made me insane yet...

For me, alcohol helps numb the pain at first, then, I get emotional and cry bucket loads and then fall asleep.

badhairday said:
For me, alcohol helps numb the pain at first, then, I get emotional and cry bucket loads and then fall asleep.

Yeah. I like to say, alcohol only postpones and accumulates the emotions. Better to feel and go through with them as they come. Hmph.

ladyforsaken said:
badhairday said:

Yeah. I like to say, alcohol only postpones and accumulates the emotions. Better to feel and go through with them as they come. Hmph.

I agree. Sometimes, things hurt too much and we want to numb it all away. But it's much better, as you say, to feel the pain, let the emotions come, let the tears flow, so we won't have a mental breakdown six months later.

If we drink away our sorrows, we're only delaying the inevitable moment when we will have to finally face the emotions and deal with them. But as they are delayed, they become larger fears, bigger than before. If we don't tackle them early, they become hardened fears that are much more difficult to handle.

Yep. Alcohol is great for avoiding the pain, but that pain will come back and bite us in the ass later.

Latest posts

Back