Are People Real?!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fender

Reaction score
Ok, so when I was young, I went through some pretty intense emotional and physical experiences. I never really had any friends. For a long time, I convinced myself that all the other people in the world were really just figments of my imagination. I thought that everyone else was here as part of a game that I was in and they were like robots or something. I even got to the point where I thought that if I couldn't see someone then they did not exist until I saw them again. It was kind of like the movie called "The Truman Show". Anyone else ever felt like that before?

P.S., it's O.K., you can call me crazy.

Woah. That's funny. I had some friends and family life was ok when I was a kid, but, I had a time where I wondered if everyone else in the world were robots. I'd try and pay close attention to find something that might prove that they were or were not.

Are -you- a robot?

Yea, I thought about that when I was a kid, I didn't really believe in it but I wondered maybe the world will stop spinning when my life ends, or maybe everyone else doesn't have a self conscious and are just acting according to some sort of a script.

I guess it's one of the question one could come up with when they're self aware lol.

I feel that way sometimes. Like NOTHING is real; that its all a part of my imagination. Meaningless. :/

Sometimes I wish life was something like that. And that I could reset it, or reprogram it so I could be happier.

Or maybe that one day very soon they'll come out with a 5-senses virtual reality. Total immersion. Then I could go into any world, live any life I want and leave the real world behind.

Fender said:
Ok, so when I was young, I went through some pretty intense emotional and physical experiences. I never really had any friends. For a long time, I convinced myself that all the other people in the world were really just figments of my imagination. I thought that everyone else was here as part of a game that I was in and they were like robots or something. I even got to the point where I thought that if I couldn't see someone then they did not exist until I saw them again. It was kind of like the movie called "The Truman Show". Anyone else ever felt like that before?

P.S., it's O.K., you can call me crazy.

Hallo crazy :p You did say I could call you crazy right?

I have thought of this be for yes. Its like a person I would go to see well become active only when I walk into there place. If I am not interacting with a person then they are not doing anything. They case to exist. (in a way) Difficult to put into words what you mean but I think where on the same line of thinking. Its like everything that we see and feel has been put there only for our sake. Like the world was designed for us to be tested in some way. Yes like a game that me/you play in and everyone else is not real. just like made up figures or kinder like you say Robots.

So if you are crazy then so am I.

I know what you mean, this idea isn't really uncommon, I came upon it in a couple of fantasy fiction books. Yeah, I gave it a thought too. But didn't take it seriously. It's actually a rather self-centered approach (not trying to be a judgmental jerk here, just saying as it is). This reality is one big "playing ground" and we're all the participants. Each one, however, just as real as another.

i used to wonder that too. reality can be hard to comprehend... the thought of what is beyond my perception... so strange to imagine.

If I am not entirely mistaken, the concept of thinking that only your own thoughts are real and rest is just an illusion is called solipsism. Found that metaphysical theory interesting when we discussed it on philosophy lesson.

I used to have thoughts like that when I was younger, but I grew out of them. Was easier to think like that when I wasn't mentally as developed as I am now. (How much I have developed is open for debate. :p) While it is quite hard to disprove as theory, it is lot more sensible to actually think there are other subjects in the world than just yourself. Interesting to play with the thought however.

Frostburn said:
If I am not entirely mistaken, the concept of thinking that only your own thoughts are real and rest is just an illusion is called solipsism. Found that metaphysical theory interesting when we discussed it on philosophy lesson.

I used to have thoughts like that when I was younger, but I grew out of them. Was easier to think like that when I wasn't mentally as developed as I am now. (How much I have developed is open for debate. :p) While it is quite hard to disprove as theory, it is lot more sensible to actually think there are other subjects in the world than just yourself. Interesting to play with the thought however.

solipsism Cos I had to look it up :p Ye OK I did not know what that word meant.

And you could have a point in that you grow out of them thoughts with age as I have not thought about that in some time. Just that this thread reminded me of some old thoughts I have had in the past.

Silvernight said:
It's actually a rather self-centered approach (not trying to be a judgmental jerk here, just saying as it is). This reality is one big "playing ground" and we're all the participants. Each one, however, just as real as another.

I see through your dirty mechanical scheme like crystal clear Caribbean water. You're not fooling me, robot. I hear the whir of your servos and the beeping of your internal computer. I'm on to you.

Brian said:
I see through your dirty mechanical scheme like crystal clear Caribbean water. You're not fooling me, robot. I hear the whir of your servos and the beeping of your internal computer. I'm on to you.

Hahahaha winnar.

I have never thought people were fake in that sense.
But I always feel like people act fake.
Like most humans are not at all genuine.
I have not met anyone that could convince me otherwise.

Unacceptance said:
People exist when you are not looking at them because you can still send them letter bombs.

Hahahaha that's very true.:p

Yeah I don't feel this way anymore, it's just what I thought for a while when I was like 10 or 11.

Yes, I did before. That is weird thinking but I was doubt their existing.

The technology that makes non playable humans is more sophisticated nowadays, they are actually embedded in the game. They have 24 hour lives and everything, like me, i'm an nph but im still able to interact with you despite it not being programmed into your main quest.

Spoon boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Spoon boy: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Spoon boy: Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

(insert that smiley)

OMFG, I THOUGHT EXACTLY THE SAME!! i thought someone was telling my life story, and the sole reason i exist its because me (in the future) was telling my own life story. i felt the same way with the truman show.

Latest posts

Back