Are you socially awkward?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azariah

Reaction score
Are you? Do you have trouble making conversation? Do you stutter? Is your speech slurred? Just don't know what to say? Are you the quiet type?

Quite.
If I'm in a large group, I just totally shut down and don't say anything. If it's just one or two people, I can kind of manage. But then even if I can force myself to be sociable, I end up beating myself up for everything I said and over-analyze it to the point that I become more withdrawn next time.

Yeah. If it's one on one or maybe two other people, I do fine for the most part. Unless they're complete strangers. In bigger groups, I generally find it useless to try to get a word in.however there's some people that I just don't feel comfortable around. Like my old boss.for instance. He was this huge talking man, very outgoing, slightly obnoxious, loved to talk and fool around. Exactly the opposite of myself. I would hardly say a word around him. Luckily my current boss is very much like me and I really 'click' with him and love talking to him. There's some people that you just feel uncomfortable being around, and other people that you fit right in with.

Girls make me nervous bro. Also ppl wit a higher "social status" in the specific environment I'm in. Like the cool ppl in school for ex.

But even in general, I'm just a weird guy. I don't know how to be "me". Like I always change personalities daily/weekly trying to find out whos the real me and what makes me happy. Sometimes I'm in the "i dont give an f" mode about what anyone thinks and I literally say anything that pops up in my head(or at least I try) and do a bunch of uncool stuff and such. Then I get an "epiphany" saying that type of mentality is not right for me, and then I try to be cooler, or I trust my first instincts and don't think anything through.

I dont know man, Im just a really weird guy. I probably need to go see a professional. Maybe I'm just not meant to be social? When I'm alone my mind is at peace and I don't feel any pressure... but then again, I wanna have friends and I wanna have a GF etc.

I don't know how the hell I became who I am today. Up to grade 8 I was "normal" and succesful socially. Then my family moved during the summer of that yr, I knew no one in the neighbourhood and so I stayed home on the computer and stuff. When gr 9 started in that school I rmember I was super avoidant anf feared social situations. Id always go out by myself at lunch far from everyone and would try not to run into ppl I knew in the hallway and stuff. Thats when I became socially awkward I believe. But at least I knew who I was...

I think it's in gr 11 that I started adopting new personalities over and over... 4 yrs later I'm still struggling with that. You know what might be possible? I'm just a very shy and perhaps even socially anxious guy and so I try to mask it by forcing different peronality mentalities upon myself because I hate how the real me is???

Man, I don't know. I wanna be me. But if the real me is a socially fearful pansy, then I don't think I'll be able to really experience life to its fullest like this(stuff like this triggers new mentalities/personalities). Or maybe its correct to wanna change myself, but I been going about it the wrong way? Or maybe happyness could come even if I stay the real me and changes(such as more comfortable socially) might come naturally?? Or maybe changes dont need to happen for me to be happy??

God ****, why did I have to be cursed in such a way...

Yes, I am... Quiet and shy. Hard to talk to new people face to face. Hands shaking, little bit sweating, maybe blushing. But usually it gets easier when you know the person better.

Absolutely. I'd rather walk on hot coals with gasoline soaked feet than go up to a woman and try to start up a conversation with her. I go to singles dances hoping to break out of my shell, but I inevitably wind up sitting at the bar all night.

No, but sometimes people think I am funny when I don't try to be funny :)
Pretty sure that's a plus!

BeYouTiful said:
Girls make me nervous bro. Also ppl wit a higher "social status" in the specific environment I'm in. Like the cool ppl in school for ex.

But even in general, I'm just a weird guy. I don't know how to be "me". Like I always change personalities daily/weekly trying to find out whos the real me and what makes me happy. Sometimes I'm in the "i dont give an f" mode about what anyone thinks and I literally say anything that pops up in my head(or at least I try) and do a bunch of uncool stuff and such. Then I get an "epiphany" saying that type of mentality is not right for me, and then I try to be cooler, or I trust my first instincts and don't think anything through.

I dont know man, Im just a really weird guy. I probably need to go see a professional. Maybe I'm just not meant to be social? When I'm alone my mind is at peace and I don't feel any pressure... but then again, I wanna have friends and I wanna have a GF etc.

I don't know how the hell I became who I am today. Up to grade 8 I was "normal" and succesful socially. Then my family moved during the summer of that yr, I knew no one in the neighbourhood and so I stayed home on the computer and stuff. When gr 9 started in that school I rmember I was super avoidant anf feared social situations. Id always go out by myself at lunch far from everyone and would try not to run into ppl I knew in the hallway and stuff. Thats when I became socially awkward I believe. But at least I knew who I was...

I think it's in gr 11 that I started adopting new personalities over and over... 4 yrs later I'm still struggling with that. You know what might be possible? I'm just a very shy and perhaps even socially anxious guy and so I try to mask it by forcing different peronality mentalities upon myself because I hate how the real me is???

Man, I don't know. I wanna be me. But if the real me is a socially fearful pansy, then I don't think I'll be able to really experience life to its fullest like this(stuff like this triggers new mentalities/personalities). Or maybe its correct to wanna change myself, but I been going about it the wrong way? Or maybe happyness could come even if I stay the real me and changes(such as more comfortable socially) might come naturally?? Or maybe changes dont need to happen for me to be happy??

God ****, why did I have to be cursed in such a way...

Don't be too hard on yourself. As you get older, you'll grow into yourself and you'll find yourself becoming more stable and confident with who you are. Of course it's a long road still and most only begin to feel this in their early thirties. Also, read up on HSP (Highly Sensitive Person). I hate to call it a 'condition' but it is well documented and reading about it will allow you to become more ok with being your awkward self which will surprise you because that in turn is the secret to gaining confidence. And you're not alone. Many actors started exactly where you are now! Be as authentic to yourself and focus on learning and dealing with your issues as honestly as you can and you'll find after a couple more years that you've developed into the person you're finally happy to be. You're on a good start because you're honest and asking the right questions! Hang in there!! :)

Nope. Not socially awkward at all. I actually love being around people but find that it's hard for some people to be around me since sometimes my personality can be aggressive

Since I was small and I realized I was so shy I always pushed myself mercilessly to speak with others, the results are: blank stare and
mind that wanders instead of listening to the other person because of the fear, magnetic appeal of the worst possible thing to say that shouldn't be said (when you think: I really shouldn't say THIS, and then, because you thought it, it comes out of your mouth), or getting too cocky and being overtly familiar when it's not the right thing to do.
It gets better with exercise, I must say, and some days you wouldn't distinguish me from the socially able.

The ironic thing is, I truly enjoy being with people more than anything else, but it's like I have this abyss of diversity to cross over to reach on their side.

quiet in groups and social events. Talkative in small groups and people I know

Shy and quiet. Hard to make conversations with people. Never used to be this way, only since the stroke and breakdown.

I'm very socially awkward. Sometimes I try to make conversation with people but fail. The person I try talking to will usually find someone else to talk to. For the past 2 or 3 years I would try to avoid conversation and social events as much as possible. I still do it. One time I went to my sister's birthday party at one of her friends house. The whole day was just a bunch of people dancing and having fun, while I was just wandering around like a lost dog. The only time I feel comfortable socializing is on online games.

I'm actually all good. I'm not the type to start convo but that's not because I have any problems. It's just not me n_n

I don't really have social anxiety, but I definitely can't talk to people. Like, I can order food without feeling nervous, or respond to a question from a stranger... but I can't hold conversations with people because I don't follow trends or the news, so I have no idea what anyone's talking about. The things that actually interest me aren't good conversation starters. Even chatting online I have trouble talking to new people because I just have so little knowledge of anything outside my narrow fields of interest.

I am a text book example.
And by the way what you are describing is social anxiety, which is a symptom of a Genral Anxiety Disorder.

Neither of them, my problem is that I talk too fast that the person I am talking too can't keep up with the beat. People pause too much when they talk.

Yes but it's worse in groups or crowds. I don't like being the center of attention.

I usually am socially awkward, especially if people notice me or if I have to talk about myself. One on one conversations and being in smaller groups bother me because I'm afraid of boring people or saying something stupid. A lot of times when the attention is on me, I blush and just freeze up. Being in large crowds doesn't bother me because I can be anonymous.

Yes I'am socially awkward. Particularly so amongst groups of people or sometimes in a 1 on 1 scenario where I try to keep the conversation interesting and active for both parties. Doesn't work all the time though if we simply run out of things to say.

Latest posts

Back