Asking for References

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyneco

Reaction score
How do you ask someone you barely know to be one of your references? Like, seriously. I don't know anyone well enough and no one knows me well enough, so I'm thinking of contacting my professors from about a year ago who probably don't remember me all that well (if at all) - and these are the ones who knew me best since their classes were relatively small and I did make eye contact with them every day.

Help!

gyneco said:
How do you ask someone you barely know to be one of your references? Like, seriously. I don't know anyone well enough and no one knows me well enough, so I'm thinking of contacting my professors from about a year ago who probably don't remember me all that well (if at all) - and these are the ones who knew me best since their classes were relatively small and I did make eye contact with them every day.

Help!

Just write to them and politely ask. Most people consider it an honour.

Yeah, I agree with Steel... it's something that people in supervisory positions are accustomed to doing. Just make SURE you give them adequate notice; I really have a difficult time with getting a meaningful reference for a student when they ask for a letter for college admissions and need it by the end of the day.

Do you need letters? Or, just a name and address/number? Oftentimes, potential employers will just want to call and verify they know you and so forth. Legally, at least in the U.S., previous employers are not allowed to do anything more than provide verification that you worked for them, when you worked for them, and whether or not they would be willing to rehire. They are not supposed to give reasons, although, most people have no problem with positive feedback :) This just prevents previous employers from TOTALLY screwing you over.

Best of luck!

gyneco said:
...so I'm thinking of contacting my professors from about a year ago who probably don't remember me all that well (if at all)...

They are used to doing it so it should be no problem at all.

I have heard one professor mention that it is helpful, if done through mail, that the person requesting a reference include some information to help him jog his memory as to who the requester is. They see a lot of students in a year.

I would approach the people in person, if you can. Just say, 'Hey, you know, truth be told I don't have many people I could use as job references and I was wondering if I could put your info down for it."

Brian said:
I would approach the people in person, if you can. Just say, 'Hey, you know, truth be told I don't have many people I could use as job references and I was wondering if I could put your info down for it."

This I think is a good idea. If I got a later from someone I may not remember them. There is moor chance of him remembering you if you ask in person.

Plus to be straight to the point and honest in this way shows character. If you asked me in the way Brian said I would respect you for it. I would also make sure that respect I had for you was made clear in the reference.

Bluey said:
This I think is a good idea. If I got a later from someone I may not remember them. There is moor chance of him remembering you if you ask in person.

There sure is but students tend to be a mobile lot and sometimes they aren't even in the same area of the country a year later so it is not uncommon for reference requests of that sort to be made through the mail. If you happen to still be at the same school/town it would be easier to just go see them.

Minus said:
Bluey said:

There sure is but students tend to be a mobile lot and sometimes they aren't even in the same area of the country a year later so it is not uncommon for reference requests of that sort to be made through the mail. If you happen to still be at the same school/town it would be easier to just go see them.

Well not being a college boy myself I would not had known that. But yes you make a very good point :)

Latest posts

Back