Be a priest....for the job security!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

An archist

Reaction score
So, I really don't know what I want to do with my life. If my mom dies soon, then I'd like to get a job working on a farm. If she hangs on for a while, I'll need to support her which means I'd need to make more than a farmer does. However, since work sucks, it's horrible that you should have to live in fear of not working, so job security is important. And the job with the most security in the world, as far as I can come up with: Priest!

Now, some people might say to themselves: "hey, I could never become a priest! I don't believe in God and, although I'm not getting any right now, I would like to leave the door open." Well, why let that stop you? There was a book--that I tried to read but failed--called the Red and the Black about a guy who became a priest because it was the only avenue open to him where career advancement was possible. And he gets into all sorts of trouble cuz he was banging the mayor's wife. I don't know if he was an atheist or not, but his reasons for doing it were entirely worldly.

In the West also, they're's a priest shortage, so they're always hiring. So there's no excuse not to do it! If you've been in school you're whole life, then a few more years in a seminary can't hurt you then you'll be set for life!

Do you have to write sermons or can ya just hang out in the back making sure the communion wine is stocked?

I'd like to be able to take it a step farther and just plain invent a religion. I mean, look at Scientology and a couple others. Their founders did it, and they're rich off of dumb people.

There is no shortage of dumb people these days. I think if we put our heads together, we could do it.

Brian said:
I'd like to be able to take it a step farther and just plain invent a religion. I mean, look at Scientology and a couple others. Their founders did it, and they're rich off of dumb people.

There is no shortage of dumb people these days. I think if we put our heads together, we could do it.

Yeah, but that would include start up costs and charisma,and I'm short on both. If you feel like fleecing the sheep I think the best way to do it is just to piggy back ride on one of the bigger, more established organizations. Hell, I'm not even talking about ripping people off necessarily, but rather just living comfortably, working a job whose most stressful aspects are little old ladies getting on your case once in a while. Doesn't it sound sweet?

A priest? There's other job where you can give security not only to yourself but also to others such as police, fireman, etc. Anything! But if someone out there would like to be a priest, that's BETTER!

So, I really don't know what I want to do with my life. If my mom dies soon, then I'd like to get a job working on a farm. If she hangs on for a while, I'll need to support her which means I'd need to make more than a farmer does. However, since work sucks, it's horrible that you should have to live in fear of not working, so job security is important. And the job with the most security in the world, as far as I can come up with: Priest!

In my opinion, you might want to look in psychological therapy, according to my mom, they are paid like 40 bucks an hour. so maybe somewhere in the medical field, you'd be needed since you like to be around people. Don't lost hope.

Latest posts

Back