Being run out of town by estate agents

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reggie Jected said:
Most successful small business dont turn a profit for the first 2 years, which means going without income during that time. Do you have the savings to keep yourself alive during that period?

Nonsense - there’s a difference between breaking even on your accounts and being successful in real time.

In accounts your start-up costs are factored into the over all financial action. I consider the start up costs to be something you forget about. For me everything that is earned after that big lay out is how the business is judged.

So say I spend £40,000 setting up the business and investing in stock and that in accounts that 40,000 has to be recouped from what you have made. But I don’t see it that way. The £40000 is a separate asset. Once that has been spent the £4000 a week we take accounts for the weekly bills and staff costs, cost of new stock whilst retaining a cash float and what is left is for me.

My business model is also helpful in that half of the staff are self employed - if we don’t get customers they don’t get paid.

Anyhow what’s all this chat about business - that is not an important element of my original discussion.

The fact I am going to loose contact with my baby niece is the human part of this story.

Bolloks to business. I get by always have and always will with money. Money cant buy the experience and bond I stand to lose with my niece.

If I thought I knew loneliness now.. I think a loneliness I cant even contemplate is on its way. In a strange town. With no friends. And no family.

I don’t have a choice in it. I have to do it. I hope I find a way through it. But I strongly suspect it will kill me. I push on because I hope ill get somewhere and find a purpose in life. But secretly I know every effort is a waste of time.

I don’t think I will last the year.

If you are convinced that you have a working model, then why don't you set it up as an online business running from the homes of your employees, or some alternative than a brick and mortar store? The thing is, a lot of what you say is very suspect - you have difficulties even talking to agents, but you believe that you can effectively run self-motivated staff? What about unexpected emergencies? What is your target market, and how will you market it?

Essentially, I would suggest that you first use an online model and focus on expanding your business there. Once you have enough cash flow information, present it to a bank and they will definitely assist in the stonefront aspect as well.

And money, indeed, may be more important than any of the human element at present. If you have enough money, you can compensate for almost any difficulty in your life.

IgnoredOne said:
If you are convinced that you have a working model, then why don't you set it up as an online business running from the homes of your employees, or some alternative than a brick and mortar store? The thing is, a lot of what you say is very suspect - you have difficulties even talking to agents, but you believe that you can effectively run self-motivated staff? What about unexpected emergencies? What is your target market, and how will you market it?

Essentially, I would suggest that you first use an online model and focus on expanding your business there. Once you have enough cash flow information, present it to a bank and they will definitely assist in the stonefront aspect as well.

And money, indeed, may be more important than any of the human element at present. If you have enough money, you can compensate for almost any difficulty in your life.

Sometimes it is not about money. Sitting at home on my own is no life. Running my little shop is a nice life.

I have no money worries. And you are talking as a greedy businessman. This is a lifestyle business, it will never fit in with your ideas of business. it is a business that "gets by". That is good enough for me. It may only "get by" for a few years. But think of the experiences and joy I will get from it in that time.

Money is the sole CAUSE of 100% of the worlds problems. Humans fell into this system and it has proven over the curse of history that this does not work.

You claimed you are a rich knowledgeable businessman. Well how come you ended up on here?

Clearly you are no better off for you money. I grew up poor, then ended up comfortable, then got poor again then was slightly rich now I am comfortable with safeguards against poverty in place. It has never had any impact on my life or happiness weather I have been poor or loaded. In fact if I’m honest I think the most unhappy times of my life were when i was rich with ambitions above my station. My happiest was when I was poor with no ambition or expectation.

Your on here so your clearly no happier than anyone else. So all your corporate bull honeysuckle is just that. Bull honeysuckle.

You think your "career" is important but important to who? Clearly not you, you are on this forum! do you help anyone are you important to anyone? Does not sound like it.

It is also interesting to note that My storey was one of humanity and you can only focus on the bit I said about my little shop. This demonstrates you don’t have many human experiences.

Your not happy cos your on here. I’m not happy cos I’m on here. But My plan provides a possible path to happiness. yours clearly does not. You judge the world by monetary value. I judge it by my experiences with humans. This is why losing my niece matters more to me than how Barclays feel about my business.

I am here because I was depressed, no longer am, and wish to help others. Your presumption of my reasoning of being here is incorrect, I'm afraid.

I never claimed to be a rich, successful businessman; however, I do work in a field involving business strategy and I find your line of reasoning suspect. Insofar as money and happiness, I have to say that I am much happier living in my gated community with pool than I was at home or in a shabby apartment; likewise, I will most likely be happier when I can afford a house in a gated community with armed security(I have a slight paranoia).

Being able to have some money(nothing about wealth here, mind you) has definitely opened up possibilities and opportunities for me. Travel, for example; education, both personal as professional, and the like.

I am trying to help, believe it or not. I do believe that you will be best by finding a way to minimize your overhead and then presenting your cashflow evidence to a bank, which will directly allow you to have a storefront someday, which seems to be your dream.

Let us not devolve into personal attacks, James. Ignored was coming from a postion of support, albeit misguided. We all understand that this is a matter of personal loss. But as you yourself have said, running your own shop will cause you to interact with new people and in a new town. It is only natural then, that we, (who ARE trying to be supportive) would like to see that shop succeed, not only because its sad when people fail, but because it means the loss of a social outlet you believe that you deperately need. I apologize that I too focused on the business and real estate aspect of your complaint, but they are all connected and as such, must all be addressed. THe child may be adorable, but she is designed to make you feel a hole in your life so you want a child as well. It's how we're mostly programed. Children are an infectious disease, make yourself happy so you don'thave to worry about dragging others down, especially those you care about.

IgnoredOne said:
I am here because I was depressed, no longer am, and wish to help others. Your presumption of my reasoning of being here is incorrect, I'm afraid.

I never claimed to be a rich, successful businessman; however, I do work in a field involving business strategy and I find your line of reasoning suspect. Insofar as money and happiness, I have to say that I am much happier living in my gated community with pool than I was at home or in a shabby apartment; likewise, I will most likely be happier when I can afford a house in a gated community with armed security(I have a slight paranoia).

Being able to have some money(nothing about wealth here, mind you) has definitely opened up possibilities and opportunities for me. Travel, for example; education, both personal as professional, and the like.

I am trying to help, believe it or not. I do believe that you will be best by finding a way to minimize your overhead and then presenting your cashflow evidence to a bank, which will directly allow you to have a storefront someday, which seems to be your dream.
You are not trying to help - you are trying to force your views on others. Some people like a shabby apartment with a community of people around them. I can think of nothing worse than living in a “gated” community - Shutting yourself off from the world as though you are better than people and you don’t want “peasants” around you.

You clearly do not live in the real world. There are many many millions of independent stores. Most all hairdressers and beauty salons are independent and most do better than “get by” but with all hairdresser/beauty salon owners it is better to have your own business, your way where you are in control and “get by” than to be part of a corporation.

One of the apartments I looked at was today was owned by a guy who runs a cattery - a cattery for gods sake! There is no better example of a Lifestyle business. His business most lily would not meet your approval (especially as you focus on profit before anything else). But it clearly has furnished him with a great life and a portfolio of properties.

Having my beauticians self employed is the smartest thing to do. It means if they don’t make money then they don’t get paid. So they have to work to bring in customers for themselves who will also buy my products. It also means I can turf them out the door if they don’t pull their weight. Here in Chelmsford at lease most salons have taken to having their staff self employed. And I have done my research. When given a free reign over their earning potential people work harder and better. My particular hairdresser, despite being as thick as a plank is earning quite more than the average office worker. That is because she now goes and gets her customers and she does every thing she can to make her service the best it can be.

You work in a corporate world. It is something very different from a small business world. You want money for moneys sake. I want a business I enjoy and to “get by”. Perhaps I will just “get by” Or perhaps like the cattery owning landlord I will end up with my dream business and a portfolio of investments.

But one thing I wont end up, is a paranoid narrow minded old fart in a grey suit with nothing on his mind but his bank balance. You even type like the sort of up their own ass middle class twit I go to great lengths to avoid.

Were I put in chard of a corporate department of Barclays I would fall on my ass. If the top corporate banker of Barclays tried to run a beauty salon they would fall on their ass.

Who would have thought Richard Branson would become a billionaire off the back of a half assed record label? Also there is Alan Sugar - his Amstrad products were a shower of honeysuckle. From the mid 80’s every Amstrad product had flop after flop. It did however put him into a position to make property deals and this is where he made his money. To my knowledge the last product he manufactured were the old sky boxes and they like his other were a pile of honeysuckle.

If you look down the Sunday times rich list apart from those who were born to wealth many are people who should by your logic never have been rich.

And my last word on the matter is that the largest percentage of independent businesses in the poorest area of Essex are nail bars….Bloody hundreds of them everywhere you turn. I doubt any of them make a fortune. They get by. And I bet the girl in the nail bar in Basildon has more friends and is happier than you.

Gated community indeed. I never heard anything so sad and pathetic. Shut off, out of bounds from the world. That is truly sad.

Hilarious.

A cattery is a business that involves caring for cats(and sometimes other animals, such as ferrets) when the owners are away for business. Since many animals are stressed by travel, especially air travel, and it can be either expensive or worrying to fly with them, many owners opt to leave them with a cattery for the duration of the trip. A cattery charges some amount per day to care for the animal(s), and often offers other services; often they are affliated with vets, and offer assurances for your animal's physical and psychological well being.

Catteries, like many other pet businesses, can be extremely profitable. James, I'm not sure what you're ranting about it being a "lifestyle" business, but it should be obvious that their very nature targets an at least reasonably affluent market(individuals who travel for business or pleasure) for a necessary benefit(pet owners who love their pet enough to consider catteries clearly have immense emotional attachment to them) with significant specialization and limited competition(unlike say, day cares). At least in Canada and in the US, they can charge substantial rates, and more for additional services; the actual cost is often minimal; as mentioned before, many are based out of vet clinics, so its just an additional lot with cages/rooms for the animals, with some common area where the animals are released daily to play with each other.

Of course, it depends on how successfully you advertise. A cattery that doesn't get owners with cats doesn't make any money, but generally they make a good bit of money here, limited by the incredible number of licenses and sometimes significant legal liability.

James, I've done so many things that your ranting is simply hilarious. I've been poor enough that I was just short of being a squatter. I've been a gun runner, shamefully. I've worked in intelligence services, for a good cause. I've had a great education, with many difficulties.. I've travelled to Europe and Asia, and talked to offshore bankers. I've been rich and I've been poor, and as the saying goes, rich is better :p

I'm not sure what your point regarding flops are: failure by nature breeds success, if the experience is used appropriately. I agree with that. However, when it involves actual, substantial losses, the graveyard of organizations that could not sustain a single major loss is vast and wide. I'll just name one company that I did work for: Cavedog, which was the studio being the critically acclaimed Total Annihilation game. That was, at the time, a smashing success. And then they created Total Annihilation: Kingdoms, flopped, and the studio crashed and closed. I could name dozens of other companies that suffered similar fates - even Blizzard, now immensely successful, restructured three times(with loss of almost all management, each time) before Starcraft produced enough money. Ultimately, though, that is a matter of risk and investment, and fairly irrelevant. Plenty of people have a string of "failures' where they learn from, and so as long as the losses aren't too massive, its part of life.

I know plenty of rich people, and the surest way that the majority of them got rich was to be born rich :p It feels like such a silly discussion, but the disparity of initial advantage should be obvious to anyone. Not being near that wealthy myself, I'm aware of it even if I don't particularly appreciate it. Beyond that, the vast majority of millionaires I know succeeded through good decisionmaking, extremely hard work, and luck. I was fortunate enough to be born in a family of such; my parents, whatever their other faults, sacrificed much of their health to gain their wealth. They worked 16 hours a day, 5 days a week, and had luck on top of that. You make it sound like money comes from random flashes of brilliance. It doesn't. Oh, and they, and my extension myself, have had a "portfolio of properties" right now.

Its not nearly that much comfort like you think it is, at least in the US. The legal liability of tenants is significant, with the occasional individual specifically looking to sue. Oh, and properties are continual upkeep, and only bring in a profit if the tenant meets the monthly rent regularly. That's not always a guarantee. And evictions are additional time and legal expense; not to mention the opportunity costs involved therein. Its also not a guarantee of residency for me when I got disowned :p

Your rambling about gated communities is simply hilarious. Today, I went to our pool in the sun with my girlfriend after we used the gym; the laundry was attached, so we could complete that while we were enjoying the pool. Then we drove out to a restaurant to eat. Along the way, we debated inviting friends to the pool next weekend and we purchased a grill at the store so we could entertain them. There is a clinic across the street so if either of us got hurt, we would have immediate attention; as well as a vet so that even our animals won't have to worry. There is a stability and safety that I have worked hard for.

I don't know if the "nail girl" is happier, but I've known more than enough girls in that strata who instead found "happiness" in drinking every weekend, using illegal drugs, and raped, and if they're lucky, they've been blacked out enough. I've seen that world before. I've no desire to return to it.

And that is why money is important to me, for all your ranting about its evils. Because it enables safety and stability. Because it allowed me to take care of my beloved and myself; because it allows me to go out and eat good, healthy food if I feel like it; so when I have children, I will be able to ensure that they will have a future, in a good school and under a watchful eye and when I lay down at night, I know that I am reasonably safe on the third floor behind locks and the gate(and God help any intruder, because I practice shooting my Mossberg). I don't work for money for its own sake; I work for what it allows.

YOOO HOOOO! MR/MRS MODERATOR PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD!

Mr. Narrow minded is getting dull. Best to agree to disagree and leave it there.

Latest posts

Back