Cinema Alone (probs yet another post about it!)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blackdot said:
duff said:
blackdot said:
I stopped going to theaters many years ago. I couldn't handle the torture of going alone. I would end up crying before the movie even started.

I'm a bit different to you. I enjoy going by myself !

I can't handle seeing couples. They start to come in the theater and I start to break down.
To make things worse, i can't fast forward or mute the movie if the movie has something with relationships. Even if it's a cartoon, if the characters kiss, I nearly vomit.

obviously you want a relationship very badly and it is affecting you.

You've got to realize some of the couples you see probably have crap lives and are very miserable.

Ive been like you, seeing couples everywhere and hating it. 'Why not me ?' - I was always thinking that. I moved on though, figured it would never happen and become a happier person. I've only a few relationships but in my experience it stinks. It's one big pain the arse having a woman in your life. They lie, always in ******* moods and half the time I was wondering what I was doing seeing them. I know I never met the right women but which men do that ? How many men are happy ? How many men are miserable and going through the motions in their realtionships ?

Single is better ! (IMO)

Moe said:
I had a couple sitting next to me during the Iron man showing. They seemed all cozy and comfortable together but I didn't pay them any mind. The way I see it is, If im paying 10 bucks to see a movie, I'm going to pay attention to the movie; not worry about the other people in the audience.

I go in the afternoons and sit by myself. I don't notice the other people much.

Alone - does not bother me (even though I could talk several female colleagues into going with me).

rdor said:
Two male friends can't go to a movie unless they want to be mistaken for gay. Not a problem for females.

Lol.

Not unless you kiss him... much

duff said:
I've only a few relationships but in my experience it stinks. It's one big pain the arse having a woman in your life. They lie, always in ******* moods and half the time I was wondering what I was doing seeing them. I know I never met the right women but which men do that ? How many men are happy ? How many men are miserable and going through the motions in their realtionships ?

see, I would be completely happy with even a fake relationship where I am just going through the motions. I'm happy when a female just says hello to me. I don't require a lot. :)
I don't mind women being moody. It adds to the entertainment.

blackdot said:
duff said:
I've only a few relationships but in my experience it stinks. It's one big pain the arse having a woman in your life. They lie, always in ******* moods and half the time I was wondering what I was doing seeing them. I know I never met the right women but which men do that ? How many men are happy ? How many men are miserable and going through the motions in their realtionships ?

see, I would be completely happy with even a fake relationship where I am just going through the motions. I'm happy when a female just says hello to me. I don't require a lot. :)
I don't mind women being moody. It adds to the entertainment.

I thought you had plenty of female friends ?
(but none wanted to date you !)

Used to go to the movies alone all the time. Stopped doing it just because my finances got bad, so now I wait for the DVD and watch movies alone in my house. But I'm thinking of going to a movie alone on my birthday later this month. That will be my big treat of the day.

Money aside, going to a movie by myself doesn't bother me. Going to a restaurant alone is another matter.

I love going to the cinema with friends - problems is, right now people only seem to watch superhero flicks and I can't stand superheroes. I've read a couple of comics in my life, seen a couple of cartoons, and I generally tend to think that it's a genre that's been already done to death. Remember the times, when superhero films didn't come out at all and people where still going to the cinemas in flocks?

Anyways, my friends/colleagues at work seem to watch only superhero movies and almost-but-not-really-superhero-movies, like the recent Sherlock Holmes flicks, so I'm pretty forced to go to the movies on my own. Some time ago I suggested going to the cinema to see Seven Psychopaths - well, I think it's best to say, that my friends we're less than thrilled, after the film has ended ("what the hell we've just seen" was pretty much their response). I wonder does anyone else has that?

I must have gone by myself once or twice. It's depressing. I don't like most of the new movies anyway and the ones I like, I can wait to see them, I'm a patient man. I just go to see animation and kid friendly movies from time to time with my little bro and that's allright for me.

I used to go on my own all the time. It really only bothered me when I queued up and they assumed I wanted two and I had to admit I was there on my own. Then I found out you could pay in advance and print off your ticket. It was sooo much better than being there with some guy who either spent the whole time talking, trying to grope me, or sighing and fidgetting because he was bored. I actually got to watch the film. I did once go with a group of girls who were among the nicer bullies in my class. They spent the whole time talking too. But I quite liked the film, so I went back on my own and watched it another day. I enjoyed that a lot more.

I've never been to the cinema with my fiancé. He loves the cinema, but it just hasn't happened. We just watch films on the laptop. Maybe one day!

I actually prefer to go to the cinema alone. I do it more often than I ever go to see a movie with someone else. Some of the perks I find in going alone is that I can go at my own pace. I'm always early to everything, so getting to there 15 minutes early (as in, in my seat) is typical. No one else I know does that. I also can decide to entirely skip the concession line as I normally plan to smuggle something in. They don't have what I like anyway. As for seating, I can get what I am comfortable with, normally back-row middle. I've even figured out subtle ways to ward of anyone who would like to try and sit next to me, or directly in front of me. The only time I'll allow someone to sit next to me is if the theater is packed, or an attractive girl happens to need a seat. Otherwise I prefer to sit there alone. It's a movie, I don't plan to talk, and even with someone else I have no desire to talk during the movie. I'm also an observant person, I like to see what's going on, watch people. So yeah, going to the cinema alone rules out having to wait for someone to show, or for them to get snacks, or be bothered by them wanting to comment in the middle of the show.

I will echo Sophie's post though. I -never- eat at a restaurant alone. I refuse to do that. I will order carry-out if I want to eat the food there. Sitting in a booth or table by myself is something I have no desire to do at all. I don't even like sitting there waiting for someone to show up.

I never eat at a restaurant alone, but for a different reason. I actually hate restaurant food, since you have no idea what sort of things they used (I think I've developed diabetes in the last year, so it actually matters). I'm okay with it only if I've worked for a very long day, and I'm hungry, or I'm on a date.

Now, watching movies alone, I don't have a problem with. If you can't learn to enjoy a movie alone, you probably have no idea what you actually like, and someone of the opposite sex would have a difficult time connecting with you anyway.

I probably go to the cinema alone 2-3 times a year and love it! I usually go midweek when there's hardly anybody else there - it's like having your own private screening, perfect!

I've never gone to the movies alone. I doubt I ever would. It sounds quite depressing.

Unwanted94 said:
I've never gone to the movies alone. I doubt I ever would. It sounds quite depressing.

needs must !

I don't have anyone to go with !

I go to the theater alone usually when I go. At first this felt really strange and I was sure this was somehow a big deal (I was scared to even do it), as though it would be painfully apparent that I was there alone and I feared anyone noticing me for this reason. I feel kind of silly about feeling that way now because honestly no one really cares, and it was all in my mind anyway. I feel sad though at having lost my fear.

I don't go to the theater often because it's expensive and lately there hasn't been a lot I've wanted to see but I do like going alone, especially if the movie is on the way out of theater as sometimes I may be the only person in the entire room, so I can do things like frequently change seats, or stand right in front of the screen, and so on.

But I really do like when I can go to the theater with someone else, it feels like being a "normal person." I probably like going to a movie with one person where we're the only two people in the theater the most, but I feel fine when it's just me.

Latest posts

Back