Commuting to work

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynasty

Reaction score
One thing that really makes my day suck is commuting to work. I live in London so as you can imagine its really congested. I have to get a train which I never get a seat on and then am squashed in on the underground by fat, smelly people who clearly have never heard of deodorant. Then luckily I only have to get the even worse smelling bus a couple of stops. Thank the lord I don't have to do it this morning.

Does anybody else know what I'm talking about? Sorry if this seemed like a rant.

I've commuted via pubic transport my whole life, I have a driver's licence but don't need the extra expense of a car, although I know commuting in London is far from cheap whatever the method.

I'm sort of used to it anyway, I see it as 45 minutes in a morning and an evening where I get to read a book, the news, listen to some music. I try to make it time not wasted as it all adds up.

Occasionally you get some hefer sat next to you who crushes you against a window or someone who makes you want to gag because they smell, but you gotta take the rough with the smooth! Its a better way to get to work than driving anyway, occasionally I get a lift with my cousin and he is stressing at traffic and looking for parking and I just don't see the convenience of car travel to be honest. I'd be stuffed without my ear phones and a book though, they are a must, I actually appreciate the time to myself. Thats not to say I couldn't real off a list of thiings that piss me off on the bus though, miserable bus drivers being top of my list, with teenage honeysuckle backs thinking I want to listen to hard house blasting out of their phone speakers and inbreds with dangerous dogs happily letting them jump up and lick petrified elderly people worth an honourable mention too. What you have to tolerate is when little kids are on the bus crying and people get annoyed, my philosophy is its public transport and open to anyone to use, learn to live with the fact kids exist or buy a car.

I worked out that since the age of 21, I have travelled about 6,000 times on my local bus service at 45 minutes a time thats 4500 hours 187.5 Days or just over 6 months of my life sat on that bus!

I'd love to go to work with my car but it would take all day to get there and I would be put into poverty by fuel costs.

I use a car and wish that I had better public transport. Its expensive, and it feels a bit uncomfortable to think that my access to my job - and thus my entire lifeline - is dependent on a machine that may not work for me.

This is one reason why I consistently prioritize minimal commutes in job choice and try to work from home as much as possible. With technology being what it is, it should be possible!

I am one of the lucky ones i have to say..
I drive 10-15 mins to work (depending if i stop for coffee) and i have a 4x4 truck that's only a year old so it has to be some kinda hurricane to slow me down ;p

but, my wife drives an hour and a half each way to work on average for the past 15yrs.
sux...

Mine isn't too bad - about 45 minutes each way via expressway. Traffic can be a problem, but I'm used to it.

Bless your heart for having to go through that hectic trip every day. :(

IgnoredOne said:
I use a car and wish that I had better public transport. Its expensive, and it feels a bit uncomfortable to think that my access to my job - and thus my entire lifeline - is dependent on a machine that may not work for me.

I feel the same way. Ultimately, the car decides whether I get to school or work that day. Living somewhere without public transportation makes you more vulnerable. Flat tires, dead battery, electrical issues, etc...

I just found a way to make it a little more fun :D

imagehtu.jpg

imagewbpp.jpg

My bother figures I'm having a mid-life crisis, to heck with you brother :p this is an econocar, here's the start of my midlife crisis in the spring....

imagefwh.jpg

....and if I'm spotted in one of these in a few years, hell ya, that's definitely BC having a midlife crisis....

imagetuz.jpg

As far as the commute distance, a couple of hours twice a week then two 15 minute drives each day from the campground to work- doesn't bother me a bit.

When I lived in London the tube used to drive me mad, and I never really had to commute. You have my sympathies, especially with the 3-pronged thing!

Where I live now it's not that bad getting into the city - there's a bus stop at the bottom of my road. That said there's a real bottleneck as you get into the city centre, and it just so happens to be where there's a massive screen constantly showing adverts on a loop. If I never see another bloody Coke ad it'll be too soon.

I started working and took public transit while I saved up for a car. It took two buses... 1 hour and 15 minutes each way. 2 and a half hours commute for an entry level job, and on top of that one that I haven't been too happy with... well you can imagine. Unfortunately still stuck there. My job is located in a bad neighborhood and I'm a petite girl, not a good combination.

I got a car after a few months and now it's about a 30 minute commute each way.

Latest posts

Back