Computer Games To Ease Loneliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian7878

Reaction score
I wish to share my thoughts/experience on this topic.

During my earlier years (25 yrs ago), I was interested in a computer game (Starcraft II). Spent many hours learning about this game and found a group of friends who were into this as well. This group of guys were playing this game in a cyber cafe and asked one guy if he mind if I watch him as he 'fought' his way through the game. It lasted almost an hour and I thank him for his time and I got a few tips watching his game. I saw him & his friends at the cyber cafe a few other times. One day after his 'skirmish' with his pals he introduced me to the rest of the group. That was how I got myself a group of friends in the cyber cafe. Friendship lasted about a year, as I moved out of the country for my career. Never met or contacted them anymore.

Just some nice memories.

Hi Adrian,
Solo gaming:
First, I generally play pc games, but I do try to moderate them with other more clearly positive activities, since generally solo play sometimes can actually aggravate my own feelings of loneliness. But while I have had a rts background, the past few years has seen me try simulations (like the excellent Prison Architect, where you can create healthful prisons to encourage rehabilitation!).

Multiplayer:
In the early days of on-line gaming I would play with other rts and tactical strategy gamers, but haven't for years.
I would suggest however getting onto Steam, the pc gaming portal. While Steam is not perfect, it is for profit and has been accused of monopolizing, hoovering user info and the like, but it does have a great tool to meet other gamers. After you set up and actually at any time, you can invite other gamers (on game forums, etc) and they then are added to your 'friends list'. It is actually an excellent feature and brings to fruition early ideas of a democratized Internet which brushed aside the awkwardness of meeting new folks. That being said, Steam has significant faults but the socializing element is excellent. Just be aware that the person you are communicating with may not necessarily present who they actually are. I do not work for Steam and use it quite rarely, but I endorse how they are trying to improve socializing on the platform.
Best of luck!

I must say Starcraft 1&2 are some of my favorite games however I only ever play them single player. Quite sad that we wont be getting another one. Blizzard have moved on I believe. Though I am stoked for the remaster of Warcraft 2

Latest posts

Back