Congruence of Affection

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyless

Reaction score
In a long term relationship, people very often tend to give love in the way they most like to receive love, but that doesent mean each person perceives or experiences love in the same way. I have certainly seen both concepts in my own relationships, but I am curious to know your thoughts.

1. For those of you who have been in love, how did these concepts affect your relationships, or did you even perceive them in play?

2. For those of you who haven't experienced this yet, how do you think you would react to and deal with either concept?

Not even communication will encourage your significant other to accept your way of showing affection when they simply can't fathom you as a whole. This has been my experience.

Gary Chapman's The 5 Love Languages should be mandatory couple's reading. :p
I had this issue in my previous marriage. He couldn't understand the way I receive and show love, and that it was different than the way HE showed and received love. I tried to explain it to him, but he couldn't understand that people show and receive love differently.
I wish I'd known of Dr. Chapman's book decades ago.

From my naive perspective I can only think of a few appropriate ways: being kind, showing an interest, being supportive, doing things for them, etc., initiating hugs/physical affection. Someone men might feel a bit reticent about overt displays that aren't 'manly' and be less direct with it. That aside I'm not sure how else it's supposed to work.

Here are the basic five languages of love from Dr. Chapman's book.
I feel strongly about the book and what it imparts to anyone who reads it.
I can't recommend it enough. Have your partner (if you have one) read it too.
If you know what to look for, you can usually spot how your partner gives and receives love. If not, just ASK them to place the items below in order of importance to them. Just don't forget though, that someone's love language can change over time.

Words of affirmation

One way to express love emotionally is to use words that build up. Solomon, author of ancient Hebrew Wisdom Literature, wrote, "The tongue has the power of life and death" (Proverbs 18:21, NIV). Many couples have never learned the tremendous power of verbally affirming each other.

Verbal compliments, or words of appreciation, are powerful communicators of love. They are best expressed in simple, straightforward statements of affirmation, such as:

"You look sharp in that suit."

"Do you ever look incredible in that dress! Wow!"

"I really like how you're always on time to pick me up at work."

"You can always make me laugh."

Words of affirmation are one of the five basic love languages. Within that language, however, there are many dialects. All of the dialects have in common the use of words to affirm one's spouse. Psychologist William James said that possibly the deepest human need is the need to feel appreciated. Words of affirmation will meet that need in many individuals.

Quality time

By "quality time," I mean giving someone your undivided attention. I don't mean sitting on the couch watching television together. When you spend time that way, Netflix or HBO has your attention — not your spouse. What I mean is sitting on the couch with the TV off, looking at each other and talking, devices put away, giving each other your undivided attention. It means taking a walk, just the two of you, or going out to eat and looking at each other and talking.

Time is a precious commodity. We all have multiple demands on our time, yet each of us has the exact same hours in a day. We can make the most of those hours by committing some of them to our spouse. If your mate's primary love language is quality time, she simply wants you, being with her, spending time.

Receiving gifts

Almost everything ever written on the subject of love indicates that at the heart of love is the spirit of giving. All five love languages challenge us to give to our spouse, but for some, receiving gifts, visible symbols of love, speaks the loudest.

A gift is something you can hold in your hand and say, "Look, he was thinking of me," or, "She remembered me." You must be thinking of someone to give him or her a gift. The gift itself is a symbol of that thought. It doesn't matter whether it costs money. What is important is that you thought of him or her. And it is not the thought implanted only in the mind that counts but the thought expressed in actually securing the gift and giving it as the expression of love.

But what of the person who says, "I'm not a gift giver. I didn't receive many gifts growing up. I never learned how to select gifts. It doesn't come naturally for me." Congratulations, you have just made the first discovery in becoming a great lover. You and your spouse speak different love languages. Now that you have made that discovery, get on with the business of learning your second language. If your spouse's primary love language is receiving gifts, you can become a proficient gift giver. In fact, it is one of the easiest love languages to learn.

Acts of service

Michelle's primary love language was what I call "acts of service." By acts of service, I mean doing things you know your spouse would like you to do. You seek to please her by serving her, to express your love for her by doing things for her.

Consider actions such as cooking a meal, setting a table, emptying the dishwasher, vacuuming, changing the baby's diaper, picking up a prescription, keeping the car in operating condition — they are all acts of service. They require thought, planning, time, effort and energy. If done with a positive spirit, they are indeed expressions of love.

A willingness to examine and change stereotypes is necessary in order to express love more effectively. Remember, there are no rewards for maintaining stereotypes, but there are tremendous benefits to meeting the emotional needs of your spouse. If your spouse's love language is acts of service, then "actions speak louder than words."

Physical touch

We have long known that physical touch is a way of communicating emotional love. Numerous research projects in the area of child development have made that conclusion: Babies who are held, stroked and kissed develop a healthier emotional life than those who are left for long periods of time without physical contact.

Physical touch is also a powerful vehicle for communicating marital love. Holding hands, kissing, embracing and sexual intercourse are all ways of communicating emotional love to one's spouse. For some individuals, physical touch is their primary love language. Without it, they feel unloved. With it, their emotional tank is filled, and they feel secure in the love of their spouse.

Implicit love touches require little time but much thought, especially if physical touch is not your primary love language and if you did not grow up in a "touching family." Sitting close to each other as you watch your favorite television program requires no additional time but may communicate your love loudly. Touching your spouse as you walk through the room where he is sitting takes only a moment. Touching each other when you leave the house and again when you return may involve only a brief kiss or hug but will speak volumes to your spouse.

Once you discover that physical touch is the primary love language of your spouse, you are limited only by your imagination on ways to express love.

DarkSelene said:
Not even communication will encourage your significant other to accept your way of showing affection when they simply can't fathom you as a whole. This has been my experience.

I think good communication is the means and main tool by which anyone could ever truly hope to fathom a partner, which sometimes can take a long time.  But it simply can't immunize a relationship from fundamental incompatibility. Nor does every relationship see both partners willing to make the effort to actually try to understand each other to that level. I'm sorry you experienced that Selene I know what that can feel like  :(

EveWasFramed said:
I had this issue in my previous marriage. He couldn't understand the way I receive and show love, and that it was different than the way HE showed and received love. I tried to explain it to him, but he couldn't understand that people show and receive love differently.

Looking below I have read all these before, it's nice to finally know where they come from, thank you Eve :)

I'm sorry to hear about your first marriage, it's funny how even in text you can pick up the frustration and pain of an experience like that years later.

I think, to some extent everyone in a healthy relationship understands this concept on some level, whether just in practice or consciously. It's been a long time since I entered a relationship without expecting to both learn and teach.

Skyless said:
EveWasFramed said:

Looking below I have read all these before, it's nice to finally know where they come from, thank you Eve :)

I'm sorry to hear about your first marriage, it's funny how even in text you can pick up the frustration and pain of an experience like that years later.

I think, to some extent everyone in a healthy relationship understands this concept on some level, whether just in practice or consciously. It's been a long time since I entered a relationship without expecting to both learn and teach.

I agree. Many people watch for what seems to make their partners happy, even though they may not be completely aware of what they're doing.

ardour said:
From my naive perspective I can only think of a few appropriate ways: being kind, showing an interest, being supportive, doing things for them, etc., initiating hugs/physical affection. Someone men might feel a bit reticent about overt displays that aren't 'manly' and be less direct with it. That aside I'm not sure how else it's supposed to work.

The things you list are very much necessary :) But much of it comes down to the "how and when". Which might seem like splitting fine hairs but, it's honestly extremely significant and one identical behaviour with one partner can lead to a complete opposite reaction with another partner. This very much works both ways and I guarantee you that you will experience this at play in a relationship. It's really important to let your partner know exactly what actions make you feel fulfilled and secure and listen and react to what they are telling you will do the same. This will not only make your relationship functional but will also identify a relationship that can't or won't work.

bleed_the_freak said:
You gotta lay it down. Lay it down, real good.

Haha, you're not wrong here :)

DarkSelene said:
Eve, you might enjoy watching this:
[youtube]9VM1UA0pCMQ[/youtube]

He's a brave and smart cookie, on way more issues than just this :)

I've been married twice and neither partner spoke my love language or even attempted it. My first marriage, I wasn't a good husband, but I tried to be a part of what she wanted. I watched shows like 90210 and Melrose Place even though I didn't like those kinds of shows (and I actually got into them.) But she never new what to do for me. In our 6 1/2 years together, ONE TIME, did she buy me a gift that was something that showed she put thought and effort into it and it was not an expensive gift at all. Not even close.

My second wife, we have been to counseling, did a study on the 5 love languages, attended marriage seminars, etc etc. She wanted me to spend more time with her, so I changed and did that. Then she wanted acts of service, which was harder for me, but I tried that. I have always wanted affection, in both relationships and neither partner ever did that. No matter how many times it's been brought up or mentioned.

For you, keep your eyes open for what your partner likes and responds to! If you partner wants affection, but you clean the kitchen for them instead, it's as if you are putting $10 of effort and getting $0.10 of reward. But if you put $1 of effort into their love language, it converts to $20 of reward or more! Putting your time and effort into doing the things that don't matter to your partner is a near total waste. You are investing thousands of dollars into junk bonds that are failing.

As for your partner, I wish you the best. I have not been lucky in that regards. Neither partner was willing to change to give me what I needed. It didn't matter if they were ignorant or educated on this. If they aren't willing to do it, there is nothing you can do. You cannot force change on someone. You can only change yourself! (And most people can't do that.)

Latest posts

Back