Could this expression be a sign for suicidal thoughts?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luih

Reaction score
Hello, my mother made a strange comment that I shouldn’t be sad when she’s not there anymore. She lived her life. Actually it could be a normal mother thing to say but I am concerned. She was in a torture camp for months during the war in Bosnia. Is she might still traumatized even when she’s denying it or are these thoughts melancholic thoughts when you get older ? What would be more likely ? Since it was thirty years ago and she never behaved strange or traumatized to me….

How old is your mum, if I may ask?

In my experience, older people are more eye to eye with death, they realise it more than your average person. If she never had any of these expressions before or in the future, I wouldn't think too much of it. If you are concerned ask her.

It is sad she was in a torture camp in Bosnia :( my heart goes out to your mum.

Welcome to the forum. That’s pretty young. I would talk to her. Tell her how what she said made you feel, and ask her what she meant by it. Be calm and sincere and let her know how you love her and what she means to you, and that you wouldn’t want to have her suffering from past trauma, that maybe seeing someone about it might be a good idea. Step by step in that conversation and see how she responds along the way. Good luck.

Since there is so much...mess going on in the world, could it be reminding her of her time there?

It could be about a lot of things. Like the others said, I would talk to her about it. It could be an innocent statement, but it could also be something more. Only she knows.

Maybe she just said it as a way to comfort you? Were you sad at the time when you were talking to her or she just said it out of the blue?

I don't think it would be a suicidal thought..maybe just to help you feel better.

Latest posts

Back