Crux Update

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crux

Reaction score
I haven't logged on here in a while, let alone posted anything, so I figured I'd post a general "update" about my loneliness/other problems...mostly just because I feel in the mood to whine about them (and possibly receive feedback) and this website is the proper outlet.

I entered high school recently. A few weeks ago. I expected it to be wonderful compared to my middle school. Like a magical place where I would instantly flourish both academically (due to more interesting lessons) and socially (due to more people to choose from and less interference by authority)

...In actuality, it's barely any different. The quality of the classes is literally exactly the same as middle school: busywork, and half-explained uninteresting (or even obvious) concepts. The only difference is that I get more of it...although, I am in most of the lowest (as in, least advanced) classes there are, but judging by the work I see others in higher classes get, it looks similar.

Socially, I am with a much larger group of people, and making fun of others or starting trouble is generally frowned upon here, so it seems that my old detractors (which are luckily only a few) are now willing to stop bothering me due to their new relatively unimportant social status and the stigma attached to bullying. This does not mean that I have friends though. I don't. I never know what to say to them, so I usually just don't say anything unless a very good opportunity to say something or tell a joke presents itself. I'm not all that interested in it either. Social interaction itself is enjoyable and some is preferable to none, but what am I supposed to talk about, and how could I possibly get interested enough in the things my acquaintances talk about (mostly just banter) to be an active participant in the "conversation"?

School seems more like an interference of my learning and growth than something that fosters it. I'm pretty sure I've learned more, and had more fun doing it (not to mention retaining it better) during the summer than while in school. I have become too apathetic to attempt to continue such learning in a devoted manner.

My social anxiety and general avoidance of possible criticism has not improved, though it hasn't really gotten worse either. This also prevents normal communication. I often worry about seeming anxious while talking to people, which (obviously) perpetuates the problem. I still have a large fear of disclosing personal details to those with a position of authority.

Relations with my parents have not improved. I still find them boring and emotionally fear/dislike their feedback and criticism even though I am mentally indifferent to it.

I feel very little emotions, and to a very blunt degree. I do not remember what happiness feels like, and barely remember anger and disgust. I can't remember the last time I cried either. I don't derive happiness from activities anymore..."Happiness" to me is mere relief.

Summary: This sucks :)

Crux said:
I haven't logged on here in a while, let alone posted anything, so I figured I'd post a general "update" about my loneliness/other problems...mostly just because I feel in the mood to whine about them (and possibly receive feedback) and this website is the proper outlet.

I entered high school recently. A few weeks ago. I expected it to be wonderful compared to my middle school. Like a magical place where I would instantly flourish both academically (due to more interesting lessons) and socially (due to more people to choose from and less interference by authority)

...In actuality, it's barely any different. The quality of the classes is literally exactly the same as middle school: busywork, and half-explained uninteresting (or even obvious) concepts. The only difference is that I get more of it...although, I am in most of the lowest (as in, least advanced) classes there are, but judging by the work I see others in higher classes get, it looks similar.

Socially, I am with a much larger group of people, and making fun of others or starting trouble is generally frowned upon here, so it seems that my old detractors (which are luckily only a few) are now willing to stop bothering me due to their new relatively unimportant social status and the stigma attached to bullying. This does not mean that I have friends though. I don't. I never know what to say to them, so I usually just don't say anything unless a very good opportunity to say something or tell a joke presents itself. I'm not all that interested in it either. Social interaction itself is enjoyable and some is preferable to none, but what am I supposed to talk about, and how could I possibly get interested enough in the things my acquaintances talk about (mostly just banter) to be an active participant in the "conversation"?

School seems more like an interference of my learning and growth than something that fosters it. I'm pretty sure I've learned more, and had more fun doing it (not to mention retaining it better) during the summer than while in school. I have become too apathetic to attempt to continue such learning in a devoted manner.

My social anxiety and general avoidance of possible criticism has not improved, though it hasn't really gotten worse either. This also prevents normal communication. I often worry about seeming anxious while talking to people, which (obviously) perpetuates the problem. I still have a large fear of disclosing personal details to those with a position of authority.

Relations with my parents have not improved. I still find them boring and emotionally fear/dislike their feedback and criticism even though I am mentally indifferent to it.

I feel very little emotions, and to a very blunt degree. I do not remember what happiness feels like, and barely remember anger and disgust. I can't remember the last time I cried either. I don't derive happiness from activities anymore..."Happiness" to me is mere relief.

Summary: This sucks :)

This sort of sounds like how I used to be. It will change more when you stay for a couple of years. You should probably try to learn as much as you can, and try to hold on to your "friends". I still have social problems, and only really speak when spoken to. Mainly because either nobody would listen or they'd just tell me to shut up. So I did. I'm sorry but I can't really help you there.

I remember how I had similar expectations of myself after I was done with my A levels and went to university. There was no sudden spurt of newfound sociability to be found there. I always told myself I would try a "fresh start" but I never made any efforts by actively approaching people. So it's always been others that found me - even if it's usually just a single person I get along with.

After I abandoned studying and started an apprenticeship which required the occasional two weeks of 'vocational school' my social ambitions had diminished to nothing. On top of that learning is mostly unfulfilling for the level is not that high. But once again I found somebody that shares my general sentiment to some degree. The desire for friends had disappeared though and I probably could've endured school without any. Even if it makes group tasks easier. Apart from that one person I'm surrounded by people I have nothing in common with...neither interests nor mentality. And I just needed two years to figure that out. But it's just like that sometimes.

And so my anxiety has been replaced by laziness, ironic remarks and a plain disinterest for socializing. But when opportunities for joking arise I use them. And you should continue to do that too. I know a couple of people (including myself) that keep quiet most of the time, but when they say something it's usually dead on target. Just be yourself. Since you can't be friends with everyone, act casual and don't force things. You're still at the beginning of a new chapter...and we all find our place eventually.

I find that if I have no expectations for the outcome of any new situation, beyond maybe the basic hope that I'm going to have a positive experience, then I generally will have a positive experience. When we have high expectations, the chances of the real experience meeting that are low, which means our hopes are too high.

I do have a question, though: About your parents, you said that you "emotionally fear/dislike their feedback and criticism even though I am mentally indifferent to it." How can you be both mentally indifferent and yet "emotionally fear/dislike their feedback and criticism?" Is that not a contradiction? I assume you fear and dislike their remarks about you. But where does this indifference come from? Could it simply be an effort to bury or hide the fear and dislike you have? After all, one cannot be both indifferent to a thing and fear it at the same time.

Case said:
I find that if I have no expectations for the outcome of any new situation, beyond maybe the basic hope that I'm going to have a positive experience, then I generally will have a positive experience. When we have high expectations, the chances of the real experience meeting that are low, which means our hopes are too high.

I do have a question, though: About your parents, you said that you "emotionally fear/dislike their feedback and criticism even though I am mentally indifferent to it." How can you be both mentally indifferent and yet "emotionally fear/dislike their feedback and criticism?" Is that not a contradiction? I assume you fear and dislike their remarks about you. But where does this indifference come from? Could it simply be an effort to bury or hide the fear and dislike you have? After all, one cannot be both indifferent to a thing and fear it at the same time.

I mean that I can decide that their feedback or criticism is useless or incorrect while still having an irrational fear of it.

Latest posts

Back