Crying

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moaninglonewolf said:
But as I'm feeling happy at that moment, I can't get myself to cry so I umm... struggle to cry and force myself to do so by thinking of sad things and listening to sad songs. And if I can manage to get myself to shed some tears of sadness I feel a great relievement and I go to sleep happily.

So you need to cry even when you are happy? You need to cry even when you don't need to? Maybe it is that you feel the need to express physically your emotions? Expression of the emotions..whether you are happy or sad and crying is the expression that works for you, maybe because of the relief as you are crying or you feel that you have successfully expressed your emotions after a good cry?

Maybe you want to make yourself cry when you're happy because you are not sure what other way to express your emotions at the time? Either way, at least you get to feel happy and expressing emotions is always a good thing, crying being the best expression one could have some times.

echo said:
Moaninglonewolf said:
But as I'm feeling happy at that moment, I can't get myself to cry so I umm... struggle to cry and force myself to do so by thinking of sad things and listening to sad songs. And if I can manage to get myself to shed some tears of sadness I feel a great relievement and I go to sleep happily.

So you need to cry even when you are happy? You need to cry even when you don't need to? Maybe it is that you feel the need to express physically your emotions? Expression of the emotions..whether you are happy or sad and crying is the expression that works for you, maybe because of the relief as you are crying or you feel that you have successfully expressed your emotions after a good cry?

Maybe you want to make yourself cry when you're happy because you are not sure what other way to express your emotions at the time? Either way, at least you get to feel happy and expressing emotions is always a good thing, crying being the best expression one could have some times.

The sad thing is, it's very rare for me to feel happy and I ruin those rare moments by doing this thing.
I guess this is related to self-destructiveness due to me hating myself. Maybe I subconsciously think I don't deserve happiness so I punish myself by not letting feelings of happiness rest inside me, I'm not sure. But your theory makes great sense to me.

rprincess said:
you've just described me perfectly. pretty much every few days I cry at night mostly...

Welcome to ALL, rprincess, and very sorry to hear you cry often too :(

Moaninglonewolf - because you cry quite often, maybe you've become so used to it that when you don't feel like crying, then it feels like something's strange, something's wrong, because crying is so normal for you. And because you're "almost always in a melancholic mood", maybe even being happy feels strange for you? You're not used to feeling happy, and part of you wants to return to your normal mood where you feel comfortable. Whatever the reason, I'm sorry you're not happy more often :(

Certainly I know what you mean about being able to go to sleep happily after crying. I cried again last night, and the feeling of relief afterwards is just wonderful. It feels like suddenly you're completely at peace. You've completely emptied your reservoir full of pain, and everything's OK now. (And then the reservoir slowly starts filling up again...)

Crying...not capable of it anymore. I simply cant let any emotion get the better of me...the thought "it's just an emotion...don't feel it" runs through my head. I sometimes suppose I should let loose...I even tried to once, but emotions like anger (at myself for being weak sissy crying) trump sadness. And anger I can vent.

Last time I cried was like, in grade 5 when a kid beat me up. Sorry if I offended any people that find comfort in a good cry, but that's honestly what I think...cant help it

No offence taken! :) Everyone has their own way of dealing with their emotions.

The only thing that annoys me is when people really take the piss out of guys who cry. Today at work, we were having a conversation about Toy Story 3 making some men cry, and someone said: "A guy crying at a cartoon? WTF?! Loser!" That annoyed me. As SophiaGrace said:

SophiaGrace said:
It's a shame that society doesn't know how to deal with people that cry. :/

I know exactly how you feel. Every few days I need to put on some sad music, turn off the lights, lock the door, and have a good cry. It feels wonderful to release it all out; I guess crying really does help make it better.

I wish I could make myself cry, but I can only keep the pain. I don't even have my own room to cry in, don't have much privacy. For the past few days I've been trying to cry but nothing happens, I'm a little envious of those who freely cry, to be honest.

Crying again tonight
cryingq.gif

Teenage Dream said:
Every few days I need to put on some sad music, turn off the lights, lock the door, and have a good cry.

Sad music: yes. Lights turned off: yes. Door locked: most definitely yes. Crying: most definitely yes. Painfully digging my fingernails into my arms to help release the emotional pain: unfortunately yes (don't worry, no scarring or anything permanent).

echo said:
I wish I could make myself cry, but I can only keep the pain. I don't even have my own room to cry in, don't have much privacy. For the past few days I've been trying to cry but nothing happens, I'm a little envious of those who freely cry, to be honest.

I'm sorry you don't have your own private room to cry in. Years ago, at night I used to go to a little isolated bench in a park, where no-one would ever find me, and cry sitting on that bench in the darkness. Is there anywhere like that you could go?

Just my opinion, but I think you should really experiment with different ways to help you start crying. For me, the essential key is music. It doesn't have to be sad, but it does have to be emotionally powerful. Explore different classical pieces and movie soundtracks, and see which ones tug at your heartstrings.

Tonight, I knew I absolutely had to cry, because the pain in my heart was so raw. But I find it impossible to just start crying without any "help". I just lie motionless in the dark, feeling completely numb. I know I must not keep the pain bottled up, or my mind will start to collapse.

Here's my technique for making myself cry when I actually need to. For a few minutes, I just lie here in the dark with the sad music playing. Then I start thinking about all the wonderful intimate experiences that I'm unable to have. For example, tonight, there was the most beautiful sunset over London, the kind that would have inspired Monet to paint his pictures. I imagined how indescribably wonderful it would be to be sitting on Primrose Hill, cuddling up close to the girl I love, with our arms around each other and her head lying softly on my shoulder, watching the beautiful sunset together in silence in the cool evening air, keeping each other warm with the warmth of our bodies close to each other, so close that we can actually feel our hearts beating with our love for each other. (I love writing my fantasy out like this. Maybe I should try being a writer. But that's enough details of my fantasy for now.)

Once I had that vision of heaven in my mind, I brought myself suddenly and cruelly back to reality. No girl loves me. I'm lying here in bed, in the dark, cold, alone. So alone. Combine that with the sad music, and the tears start flowing, and flowing...

I'm definitely crying more often these days :( I think there are two main reasons why I cry. Firstly, it takes a truly colossal amount of emotional effort for me to hide my pain when I'm around other people (which I have to be, most of the day). People know me as a smiling, cheerful guy, and that's how I want it to stay. I do not want to be known as a sad depressed guy. I'm extremely talented at conjuring up my illusion of happiness when I have to. But it takes so much effort, that by the end of the day I feel emotionally exhausted. Secondly (this is something I know you'll understand), everywhere I go there are couples, endless couples, holding hands, cuddling, kissing, etc. If I didn't know better, I'd think they were doing it deliberately, just to rub even more salt into my already raw wound.

These last few months have been unusually painful for me. My gratitude to all you guys is beyond words - for patiently listening to me vent, and just helping me keep my thoughts under control. Apart from one friend who I trust, I never tell anyone about my suffering, and no-one ever guesses, because I hide it so well. Just reading all your discussions, experiences and advice about loneliness really makes an enormous difference. I think I'd be in a far worse situation now without this site. So thank you, everyone.

I'll let Monet end this post for me.

monetln.jpg

How often do you cry?
[/quote]

Hi there, I guess I cry at least at least once a week.
I'm not exactly sure why but tonight I'm feeling really sad, thinking everything is worthless, so I've been crying for a while already.

At least I found this forum and saw I'm not the only one feeling like that.

And just so you know, I'm listening to all the sad songs I could find from Maroon 5, Dido, Vonda Shepard...

I cry all days. Mostly in the nights. And i put music, so my family dont hear my crying. Im in a very bad moment of my life right now. It makes try more than i usually do. I cry when i watch a movie, hear a song, when i see happy people.

Well, I just cry when I want, but it's about once/twice a week. I love the loneliness, so I don't cry because I'm a loner. I cry when I think all the things I left behind....

I cry friggin loads. Usually by weeping at sunset. Don't know why, but sunsets have really begun to get to me recently. Weirdly enough, the nights that follow cheer me up no-end. Especially like last night night, when there was a hint of autumn in the air. Woodsmoke and evergreen. Chilly and lovely. Quite splendid.

QuietGuy said:
I'm sorry you don't have your own private room to cry in. Years ago, at night I used to go to a little isolated bench in a park, where no-one would ever find me, and cry sitting on that bench in the darkness. Is there anywhere like that you could go?

Reminds me of 2004, I would go out at midnight or 2am, sometimes without my family knowing, I would go to "my secret place" which was this peaceful area with a small garden fountain and palm trees, that area was always empty and I loved that place because there was a fence and across that fence there was a larger area with nothing but dirt. (I live in a busy crowded area where the night sky and stars are blocked by tall buildings and light pollution, there is no other place near me as clear as this) This area was the only place where the night sky was truly the sky, immense and open and stars being the only light! It was so wonderful! I still couldn't cry though but I have always felt very connected to nature and I've always had a deep affection for the rain. I always felt that when it rained, nature was expressing the crying I was incapable of doing and I'd feel so very thankful for nature helping me in this way.

Funnily enough, that particular year, when I needed to cry the most, it rained more than ever, I remember the times that year, watching the news saying how it's been raining in record levels, the flooding on the roads and so many people everywhere talking about it, I felt so much relief, so grateful for nature hearing my plea for more rain. Hmmm I sound crazy, oh well.

About my "secret place", my only reason I was able to leave the house like that was to take the dog out for a walk, now that I don't have that dog and my excuse of, "Oh I just want to take him for a walk"...I can't...really go there anymore without a family member confronting me about it or something.

Just my opinion, but I think you should really experiment with different ways to help you start crying. For me, the essential key is music. It doesn't have to be sad, but it does have to be emotionally powerful. Explore different classical pieces and movie soundtracks, and see which ones tug at your heartstrings.

I think the main problem for me when it comes to crying is the expression itself, I can't allow myself to express it because if I let myself cry, I'm going to get caught and I don't want to get caught. The safest place to cry is in the shower but even then even if I start crying, I quickly stop myself because I don't want any chance of anyone hearing me or anyone noticing the redness after. I worry too much that I might get caught that I immediately stop the crying from even happening.

Still that doesn't happen always, I have sometimes cried loudly and uncontrollably without caring if anyone knows but more often than not, I don't feel better after crying. I guess crying is a way people express their sadness and the way they free themselves of that sadness. I guess I just have other ways of expressing and freeing myself of my sadness, crying not being the main one. I don't know.

I just lie motionless in the dark, feeling completely numb. I know I must not keep the pain bottled up, or my mind will start to collapse.

That's how I get. I feel dead. I lie motionless for a long time, feeling numb, barely blinking, letting my surroundings blur, emptiness in my mind, only me breathing.

Letting things go is the key, just as people cry letting go of their tears, letting go of their negative thoughts and emotions, I let go of myself as a way to heal myself. Letting yourself go, letting yourself fall, letting your mind drift, allowing yourself to open so that all the sadness and pain will simply....disappear. This is my way of expressing, my way of making myself feel better.

I lie motionless, all alone and I let it all go, I let myself be empty, I allow emptiness. Emptiness of my mind, emptiness of my heart, emptiness of my existence, I lie there motionless...and I simply breathe...breathe....breathe...calmly...forget all the pain..forget everything...simply breathe...

...and then...as my mind and my entire being is completely empty and blank, I suddenly feel so at peace, I suddenly feel a rush of love and sweetness inside me, I feel so much clarity in the air. I let myself drift far away...I start hearing ocean waves outside my window...or for example like last night...I heard birds singing...even though there were actually no birds singing. It may seem wrong to people because they may think that "oh you're hearing things that aren't there, you're probably crazy" but no it's actually healthy, it's actually okay to let the mind and senses drift, it's okay to let yourself go, lying motionless in bed, slowly drifting and drifting, falling into a state of soothing bliss.
And then you finally fall asleep into the sweetest of dreams or you get out of bed continuing to feel this soothing calm..even if you're still sad, even if nothing has changed about your life, even if you have reasons to suffer at that moment..just focusing on that soothing nurturing love you feel inside of you...nothing matters, you feel so at peace.

It truly is a wonderful way of letting the pain go, especially for those who can't cry and wish for another way to feel nurturing relief, I may not cry but I do feel so much better when I let myself drift and I suggest anyone to try this at least once in their lives because it truly is very helpful. Simply becoming empty and letting go of all of yourself, there is so much peace and gentleness in the air you breathe, all the pain is replaced with the sensations of soothing, loving warmth.

I guess I can call what I do a form of meditation but I don't consider it meditation at all, it's different than that but in a way similar.

Here's my technique for making myself cry when I actually need to. For a few minutes, I just lie here in the dark with the sad music playing. Then I start thinking about all the wonderful intimate experiences that I'm unable to have. For example, tonight, there was the most beautiful sunset over London, the kind that would have inspired Monet to paint his pictures. I imagined how indescribably wonderful it would be to be sitting on Primrose Hill, cuddling up close to the girl I love, with our arms around each other and her head lying softly on my shoulder, watching the beautiful sunset together in silence in the cool evening air, keeping each other warm with the warmth of our bodies close to each other, so close that we can actually feel our hearts beating with our love for each other. (I love writing my fantasy out like this. Maybe I should try being a writer. But that's enough details of my fantasy for now.)

Once I had that vision of heaven in my mind, I brought myself suddenly and cruelly back to reality. No girl loves me. I'm lying here in bed, in the dark, cold, alone. So alone. Combine that with the sad music, and the tears start flowing, and flowing...

Day dreaming of the things that would make our lives fulfilling and happy, day dreaming of all the happiness, day dreaming of it all and then suddenly reminding one self that none of it is real. Yeah, the times I've actually cried is because of that happening and then I start remembering the facts that nobody loves me, I don't matter to anyone, if I died my own family wouldn't go to my funeral, nobody cares about me, nobody understands me, nobody accepts me, I'm going to die and all that love and deep magic I wanted to share with people is never going to happen.

If I fill my mind with day dreams and reminders like that, I might actually cry but I can't because I'm stubborn and I'm stubborn in believing that I'm not alone even if I am, believe that I am loved even if nobody even acknowledges my existence, I drown myself in the belief that I'm going to be the happiest, I'm going to be cherished even though I know...that I'm not...even though I know full well that there is no chance in hell I'm ever going to be okay....I still feel okay or perhaps it is just numbness.

I guess it's because I've spent every breath, every moment of my life drowning in sadness and negativity that...I can't do it anymore, I can't let myself feel bad anymore. I only want to feel good even if I don't actually have reasons to feel good, even if nobody loves me I still try to feel loved, even if I have every reason to suffer, I don't want to stay with the emotions that come with those reasons, I only want to be okay and to feel okay I must..experience more goodness, crying is healthy and good but by thinking of the sad things to make myself cry..I try not to think of the sad things anymore because even after I cry, I'm still going to be in pain after.

To clarify, I don't hold anything against you or people who make themselves cry in whatever way they wish, I respect that you guys try to cope the best way you can, I truly do.

People know me as a smiling, cheerful guy, and that's how I want it to stay. I do not want to be known as a sad depressed guy. I'm extremely talented at conjuring up my illusion of happiness when I have to.

There was a guy in my school a few years ago. I never met him but he was well known for having so many wonderful friends, he was loved and cherished by many, he was the happiest, most cheerful, he was always smiling and laughing. He probably thought the same as you, always wanting to be the "cheerful one" and not wanting anyone to see him sad. He couldn't take it anymore though, he couldn't continue with the illusion of happiness anymore. Maybe he felt so strongly that he couldn't show other people his sadness..maybe he felt so strongly that..nobody should see his pain, he thought that the only way to find the relief was to die.

He died, one Christmas night, he jumped off the school stadium, they found his body on the concrete a few days later.

I never met him, I didn't even know who he was until people started talking about his death. His death struck me so strongly and it still does today. I think about him sometimes, I cry for him when I can cry and when I can't, my eyes water and I shed a few tears for him, just talking about him now I had to dry a few tears, I want to cry so much but I can't, I can only allow myself to shed a few tears because if I get red in the face I might get caught and I can't allow myself to get caught...maybe somehow..in a similar way..maybe he also couldn't allow himself to get caught crying? I feel so bad for him, everyone thought he was cheerful and happy and nobody had any clue about the loneliness he truly felt and he killed himself because of that pain.

When I think about him, I imagine the excruciating loneliness, I imagine him there all alone..while everyone is together during Christmas...he's there in the cold for the longest time. I imagine him sitting, holding himself, rocking back and forth crying knowing how even though everyone thinks he's happy and cheerful, nobody knows how he truly feels. Imagine him wishing that someone was there for him, that someone could appear and prevent him from killing himself...waiting and waiting for someone to save him....but nobody was going to come save him because he hid all the sadness under a smile and nobody in the world knew how much he needed somebody.

Knowing that he was going to die soon, did he spend a few moments breathing deeply, thinking of how he was going to miss the sensation? Did he feel insignificant or infinitely vast as he saw the sky for the last time? Did he count the number of stars? Did he think how stunning and radiant those stars were that cold night? Did he wish he had someone to view the night sky with at that moment? Did he try to snap himself out of it by taking a jog around the tracks, feel one last rush of heat in his veins and cheeks, one last time to feel the sensation of sweat on his forehead. What happened that made him go there that night? What happened that finally broke his will to live?

I don't know the answers but thinking about him always makes me want to cry so badly for him. Even if I never met him, even if I would have never met him in the future, I still wished he hadn't of died, I'm so sad to imagine his last moments of life, him feeling so lonely and everyone that supposedly loved him thinking how cheerful of a guy he his, how he's always smiling and having fun...and nobody knew how much he needed to cry on somebody's shoulder, nobody had any clue how much he needed someone.

Years before, there was another school mate who was also the "cheerful one". He had the loveliest smile, he always cracked the funniest jokes, he was energetic, he was all over the place with his laughter but I knew..his secret..I knew he was sad, I knew he was lonely, I knew..I could see it....even though he was the most cheerful person...it was so obvious to me...just looking at his eyes..just..looking at him..it was so obvious to me how sad he truly was.

I hated it that nobody noticed, I always wished I was his friend, I always wished that I could have helped him, I always wished that he knew what I noticed about him.

I was too shy though, I didn't know how to approach him. One day, we got partnered up though. He of course was so very cheerful as always but I knew he felt like crying at that moment, I knew how bad he was feeling. I remember the entire time we were together, I kept trying so hard to get the courage to ask him if he's okay, I was too shy, it was so hard to even use my voice, I couldn't form any words, I wished so hard to just tell him everything, tell him how he wasn't fooling anyone because I knew, I could sense how lonely he felt and how he wanted somebody to notice the sadness under his smile.

I think I did get the courage to ask him if he was okay but I know it wasn't enough, I could have helped more but I couldn't, my shyness didn't let me. I feel guilty about it after all these years, I hope that wherever he is right now...that he's truly happy.

It pains me to hear of someone hiding their sadness under the illusion of being the "cheerful one", it worries me because if everyone sees you as the cheerful happy one...and nobody has any clue of how lonely and sad you are...when is all the hiding going to break you?

everywhere I go there are couples, endless couples, holding hands, cuddling, kissing, etc. If I didn't know better, I'd think they were doing it deliberately, just to rub even more salt into my already raw wound.
My entire life I've lived near amusement parks so I've gone countless times against my will and every single time I'm there, I cry, every single time I feel a deep sadness and loneliness when I go to the "Happiest Place on Earth". Hell, I used to cry almost every day of my childhood, for as long as I remember I've felt depressed and lonely, I remember being as young as 4 years old...thinking of ways to kill myself to stop this godforsaken loneliness.

Amusement parks are the worst, I hate them and even though I am considered "lucky" to live near in walking distance of TWO big amusement parks and a bunch of water parks and stuff...I don't feel lucky at all. I hate it, whenever I go to an amusement park I always want to die seeing so many people happy and me wondering why aren't I happy?

But yeah, don't ever go alone in an amusement park...ever, trust me. You're waiting in a line for literally at least an hour, just waiting to get to the ride that lasts a minute and the people in front of you and behind you are making out and cuddling, and WHEREVER YOU LOOK EVERYONE IS IN PAIRS SMOOCHING AND BEING LOVEY BEARS WITH EACH OTHER.

It's insane, completely insane..the sheer amount of couples that are there, I can't even describe it, I can't even....and worst of all when you're the third wheel..going with a sibling and her boyfriend and they're cuddling right next to you while you stare at the ground because the ground is the only place where there aren't couples cuddling......oh wait...there is...actually..sometimes people get tired of standing in the line so they lie on the ground while holding each other.

Ha...ha...ha....hahahahahahahahahah HAHAHAHAHAH *sanity cracks*.

The most painful part isn't so much that I don't have someone to cuddle, it's the remembrance of the fact that there is nobody that thinks of me as significant, that I have no meaning or worth to anyone, it just kills me.

Apart from one friend who I trust, I never tell anyone about my suffering, and no-one ever guesses, because I hide it so well.

......:(

Just reading all your discussions, experiences and advice about loneliness really makes an enormous difference. I think I'd be in a far worse situation now without this site. So thank you, everyone.

I'm glad to hear you're finding help from this site and from the people who post.

The last time I really cried was when there was a problem with me getting enough financial aid at the university I was transferring to. Luckily all worked out well, even much more than I had hoped for, but for those few days of unknowing-ness, I felt like my future was over. I see college as my only shot at making a difference and doing what I truly want to do. Before that, which was sometime around last December, I honestly can't remember the last time I cried. But, each time I have to leave my dog to go away for the semester, I don't cry, but my mind/body seems to almost shut down for a while until I snap out of it.

Rocio said:
Hi there, I guess I cry at least at least once a week.
Solitario said:
I cry all days.
André said:
Well, I just cry when I want, but it's about once/twice a week.
Electric_Fusilier said:
I cry friggin loads.

Well I suppose it's reassuring for us to know that we're all crying together, but I wish we all weren't so sad :(

Electric_Fusilier said:
Chilly and lovely. Quite splendid.

What a lovely British comment
smallsmile.gif
Being a Brit myself, I love all those old-fashioned words that few people use any more: splendid, marvellous, jolly spiffing, blimey, crikey, good lord, I say old chap! :)

echo -- I think you may have just won the "most epic post of 2010" award! Guys, any other nominations? :D

Seriously though, there's so much amazing stuff in your post.

echo said:
Reminds me of 2004, I would go out at midnight or 2am, sometimes without my family knowing, I would go to "my secret place" which was this peaceful area with a small garden fountain and palm trees, that area was always empty and I loved that place because there was a fence and across that fence there was a larger area with nothing but dirt. (I live in a busy crowded area where the night sky and stars are blocked by tall buildings and light pollution, there is no other place near me as clear as this) This area was the only place where the night sky was truly the sky, immense and open and stars being the only light! It was so wonderful!

That does sound truly wonderful. 2am, the open sky, the starlight. Most people forget just how vast the sky is, because they never take the time to lie on their back in the middle of a meadow and gaze up at the deep blue sky or the even deeper stars. You reminded me of a beautiful phrase I love in "The Miracle of Puran Bhagat" by Rudyard Kipling: "He had come to the place appointed for him - the silence and the space."

echo said:
I still couldn't cry though but I have always felt very connected to nature and I've always had a deep affection for the rain. I always felt that when it rained, nature was expressing the crying I was incapable of doing and I'd feel so very thankful for nature helping me in this way.

Funnily enough, that particular year, when I needed to cry the most, it rained more than ever, I remember the times that year, watching the news saying how it's been raining in record levels, the flooding on the roads and so many people everywhere talking about it, I felt so much relief, so grateful for nature hearing my plea for more rain. Hmmm I sound crazy, oh well.

Not crazy at all. I love the rain. When it rains really heavily, I love to open my window and just listen to the wonderful sound of the rain as it falls through the trees. It's so beautiful. When the rain suddenly increases in intensity, it makes me really smile. And I like your idea of the rain being a symbol for the tears you're unable to shed.

echo said:
I think the main problem for me when it comes to crying is the expression itself, I can't allow myself to express it because if I let myself cry, I'm going to get caught and I don't want to get caught.

I understand exactly what you mean. I would never let myself cry if I thought someone might come in and find me crying.

Your "form of meditation" sounds amazing. I guess I do a similar thing sometimes, although perhaps not quite as deeply as you do. But I completely agree with the basic idea. Yes, you have a hundred specific reasons which cause you to be sad, lonely, depressed. But at your very core, you're a living being. You're alive. That's a very rare and wonderful thing. Temporarily forget that you're lonely, and simply remember the extraordinary fact that you're alive and conscious.

Allowing your mind to really drift is a wonderful experience. I have a huge collection of "beatless ambient" music which helps me do this. Some of it is very beautiful. For example, this first track, by Thom Brennan. Other beatless ambient music is not exactly beautiful, but very thought-provoking and drift-inducing. For example, this second track, by Max Corbacho:

[youtube]y4zwSQcf_vk[/youtube] [youtube]MhaXybEbdsI[/youtube]

Listening to this sort of music helps me to temporarily forget who I am, and allows me to return to my most primitive and fundamental state of existence - "I think, therefore I am." As echo says, "Simply becoming empty and letting go of all of yourself, there is so much peace and gentleness in the air you breathe, all the pain is replaced with the sensations of soothing, loving warmth." Note: beatless ambient music is not "new age" music, with any healing/spiritual motivations. This is purposeless music "to open a space for thought", nothing more. I have a whole mountain of this kind of music if anyone would like more recommendations.

As I've said before, I think the most important thing for people like us is to be realistic in our pain, not unrealistically optimistic, or unrealistically pessimistic. So echo, let's be realistic:

echo said:
I start remembering the facts that nobody loves me, I don't matter to anyone, if I died my own family wouldn't go to my funeral, nobody cares about me, nobody understands me, nobody accepts me, I'm going to die and all that love and deep magic I wanted to share with people is never going to happen.

Let's separate the truth from the lies. First, the painful truth. Yes, it's true that at the moment, nobody loves you, nobody fully understands you, and maybe your family wouldn't want to attend your funeral. Now let's identify the lies. "I don't matter to anyone. Nobody cares about me." Wrong. At the very least, you matter to me, I care about you, and I believe many people here on this forum feel the same way about you. "All that love and deep magic I wanted to share with people is never going to happen." If you accept that attitude of futility, then you'll guarantee that it'll never happen. So reject that attitude right now and never contemplate it again.

echo said:
I know full well that there is no chance in hell I'm ever going to be okay [...] there is nobody that thinks of me as significant, that I have no meaning or worth to anyone

Remove that poison from your mind right now.

That was an extremely moving and tragic story you shared with us about the "cheerful guy" who committed suicide.

echo said:
Knowing that he was going to die soon, did he spend a few moments breathing deeply, thinking of how he was going to miss the sensation? Did he feel insignificant or infinitely vast as he saw the sky for the last time? Did he count the number of stars? Did he think how stunning and radiant those stars were that cold night? Did he wish he had someone to view the night sky with at that moment? Did he try to snap himself out of it by taking a jog around the tracks, feel one last rush of heat in his veins and cheeks, one last time to feel the sensation of sweat on his forehead. What happened that made him go there that night? What happened that finally broke his will to live?

^^^ This is so deep. When someone is on the edge of actual suicide, I imagine everything superficial falls away, and you return to your most primitive and fundamental being. I imagine you become intensely aware of what it means to be alive, to exist, knowing that in a few moments, if you choose to, you will suddenly cease to be alive, cease to exist. I can't conceive of an experience so intense and primal. And I can't imagine the intensity of the pain that would actually convince someone that it's worth permanently and irreversibly terminating their entire existence.

I hope you can slowly dissolve the guilt you feel about wanting to help the other guy you knew but being too shy to do it. Your motive, sympathy and compassion was absolutely genuine, and that's the important thing. Shyness and lack of courage is something that can be worked on, but the goodness in your heart is something fundamental and eternal in your being. Don't feel bad about what you could've said but didn't. There are many times when I've had something really deep and important to say to someone, but I just couldn't do it, couldn't find the courage.

echo said:
it worries me because if everyone sees you as the cheerful happy one...and nobody has any clue of how lonely and sad you are...when is all the hiding going to break you?

Yes, I admit this does worry me sometimes. The emotional effort required to hide my pain is sometimes overwhelming enough by itself to make me cry at the end of the day. But I cannot let them see my pain. They wouldn't be able to do anything to help. They probably wouldn't even understand. I don't need their pity. As long as I can periodically vent my pain in different ways (eg. by crying, by posting here, and by talking to my only "deep" friend), then I think I'll survive.

echo said:
don't ever go alone in an amusement park...ever, trust me. You're waiting in a line for literally at least an hour, just waiting to get to the ride that lasts a minute and the people in front of you and behind you are making out and cuddling, and WHEREVER YOU LOOK EVERYONE IS IN PAIRS SMOOCHING AND BEING LOVEY BEARS WITH EACH OTHER.

I'll tell you something which will probably surprise you. About three months ago, I was travelling in a foreign country, and alone. There was an amusement park nearby, with loads of awesome rollercoasters. I love rollercoasters. I thought about going to the park on my own, and riding them. Then I thought the same thoughts that you've just described ^^^. "I'm going to be miserable as hell going alone, and seeing everyone else not alone." And then I thought,"fresia IT. I'm going to go anyway." So I did. I spent six hours riding the awesome rollercoasters, and the queues were unusually short. Yes, there were couples all over each other in the queues, couples everywhere. Yes, my reservoir of pain filled up extremely rapidly. But I didn't give a fresia. I was there to enjoy the rollercoasters, and that's exactly what I did. I said to life, "Sure you can inflict pain on me, but you can't stop me doing the things I want to do. You've picked a bad adversary this time, mate. You have no clue how strong my fighting spirit really is. Do your worst, I'm ready for you."

Wow, this is turning into an amazing thread. Thank you so much for all your replies guys, I deeply appreciate them.

Wow...this IS quite the thread...hope ya'll don't mind if I throw my 2 cents in...I'll try to keep it short but...no promises :D.

I think we all need some time to clear our head. For me, the best time is going for a jog on a cold fall/early winter day morning before the neighborhood wakes up. Throw some instrumental/beatless ambient (nice youtube links btw :)) on the old iPod and just run. My good old friend the cold Canadian air. Every year I feel it's friendly sting in my lungs as I run down the sidewalk...beats a cigarette any day. I also like how empty the streets are, nobody else seems to be out ...they're all afraid of the cold...well...I'm not...makes me feel strong. I guess what the rain is to echo and QuietGuy, the cold is to me :rolleyes:.

I don't feel the need to cry though...as I said anger trumps sadness...and anger I can vent (into the cold air where I can see it apparently :p). Granted I'd hate to get caught crying like a child, but my conscious decision not to, and belief that it is weak is the real reason I don't. Again no offense!

Fantasizing about the things that I (and probably everyone) wants but cant get doesn't make my CRY. It causes pain and emotional torment, but I instinctively counter this with a) anger, b) figuring out how to fix it. Part of me thinks that b) is just a pipe dream, but it's one of the few things that keeps me going...for better or worse :shy:

As far as the smiley/cheerful guy that was dying on the inside that you feel guilty about not helping echo...do yourself a favor...don't. And I'll give you a practical reason why: If you did what you were too shy to do (ask him if he was okay) he would have said "yes...why?" Even though he was "drowning in sorrow on the inside" he would never have admitted it...not even to you. Even if you managed to pass your own barriers, he would have never let you pass his. It's part of being that kind of guy...needing help desperately, but being too proud to ask for it, for fear of being weak minded/willed...which is everything you don't want to be. Instead he blamed himself for not being strong enough to not need help...the rest is history.

Ah, the couples in line at the theme park thing...that old familiar sting (to quote Mr. Johnny Cash). That does make me feel bitter, but again, all it makes me want is to figure out how to be one of those couples, rather than one of those single people who are unhappily observing. Maybe 2 of us observers could hook up and become one of those couples?? :D;):cool:

...Just a thought...(but like QuietGuy...I'm not willing to give up going on roller coasters just to feel better :p)

Maybe I should try to cry. Maybe it's wrong to think that it's weak/pathetic to cry...and I should just let loose....
NAH! I can't CONVINCE myself of something like that. I'd just be lying to myself. And the shitty thing about lying to yourself is you can have a stone cold poker face that would make Doyle Brunsen bet his house against ya...but deep down...you know you're lying.

Damnit...that was longer than I planned...ah well :club:

QuietGuy said:
echo said:
it worries me because if everyone sees you as the cheerful happy one...and nobody has any clue of how lonely and sad you are...when is all the hiding going to break you?

Yes, I admit this does worry me sometimes. The emotional effort required to hide my pain is sometimes overwhelming enough by itself to make me cry at the end of the day. But I cannot let them see my pain. They wouldn't be able to do anything to help. They probably wouldn't even understand. I don't need their pity. As long as I can periodically vent my pain in different ways (eg. by crying, by posting here, and by talking to my only "deep" friend), then I think I'll survive.

Yesterday, something quite extraordinary happened.

I was thinking deeply about what I wrote above ^^^. I was thinking about this: "I cannot let them see my pain". Well, no, I can't let everyone see my pain, but is there literally no-one I can share my pain with, apart from my one "deep" friend?

There's someone I know at work who I consider to be a good friend. She's opened up to me, and talked about some of her tough challenges in life. And I found myself thinking, "You know, maybe she might be understanding of my suffering." So yesterday morning, I went round to her office room. We must've chatted for at least half an hour. She listened very caringly and understandingly while I opened up to her. I didn't tell her everything, but I told her quite a lot. And here's the really extraordinary thing. I actually started crying in front of her. Let me repeat that. I started crying in front of her. I quickly composed myself, but... she saw me crying. No-one has ever seen me crying for many many years. And the strange thing is, I didn't feel so bad crying in front of her, because I knew she would be understanding, and she would never tell anyone else. She gave me some really helpful advice too.

Life takes us in unexpected new directions every day...

QuietGuy said:
There's someone I know at work who I consider to be a good friend. She's opened up to me, and talked about some of her tough challenges in life. And I found myself thinking, "You know, maybe she might be understanding of my suffering." So yesterday morning, I went round to her office room. We must've chatted for at least half an hour. She listened very caringly and understandingly while I opened up to her. I didn't tell her everything, but I told her quite a lot. And here's the really extraordinary thing. I actually started crying in front of her. Let me repeat that. I started crying in front of her. I quickly composed myself, but... she saw me crying. No-one has ever seen me crying for many many years. And the strange thing is, I didn't feel so bad crying in front of her, because I knew she would be understanding, and she would never tell anyone else. She gave me some really helpful advice too.

Life takes us in unexpected new directions every day...

That's amazing! I'm happy for you! :D

I'm double posting, it's probably against the rules.

But I think I cried, did I? Felt so much pain in heart center, tears starting. No privacy, passed hall and went to bathroom. Red faced, snotty with tissues, tears flowing, broken breathing. I wished to wail, wish to be as sudden and alarming as a siren but I only gasp over and over silently. I wished to cry for 15 hours but the moment passed and it was over. I was smiling and I didn't know why, I simply was. Smiling, eyes staring at blank wall, no blinking at all, every dot of pain and sadness vanished from the thinnest of air. There is no sadness. There is emptiness inside. I am not smiling anymore. There is nothing inside me except for everything that make one feel silly.

I noticed a plastic rose we have, the color red was brighter than usual. The blue sky across the window is shining. The green of a bottle is rich. The pinks, goldens, violets, all the colors are suddenly....vibrant..wanting my attention and I feel....like laughing with the ticklish sensations I start to feel, infinite calm in the air, in what I breathe, inside of me.

No need to be blinking, I feel truly sweet in my surrealness. I left the bathroom and when I returned to my dark room, I started crying again...30 seconds only until I heard my mom cough in the living room and then I felt another sudden rush of peace, there is no sadness, there is only cold sweet honey.

I just wanted to cry the pain away and all I feel is bliss. I'm aware of here but I'm resting, my mind is blank but it's swirling and churning. I sound strange but it is the bliss affecting me.

Hmmm I should go to sleep, no more crying for me today.

Latest posts

Back