D: D: D: D: D: D:

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyneco

Reaction score
(Take heart. This will probably be my last thread in a while.)

I'm currently in a really weird situation. I'm going to change a few details because I'm paranoid as always, but this is what basically happened:

A long, long time ago, when I was young and stupid, I joined a forum for people who have fear of zebras. I had never heard of such fear before, but as soon as read what it was, I knew I had it.

Eventually, I made friends with another forum frequenter we'll call X, and for various reasons we just clicked. We were like Rocky and Bullwinkle, but cooler. I may have had a crush on him, but back then I was so stupid I had no idea I had a crush on him (but if I looked back, it was so obvious he probably knew). All I knew was this was a fellow human being who also had an inexplicable fear of zebras, and I liked him, and that probably meant something good.

A meeting was inevitable, and this was ironically when X found out that my fear of zebras was worse than I made it sound. One thing led to another, and we just stopped talking to each other.

For the next few years, I was living happily convinced I was over my fear and was as normal as the next guy. But then recently, out of nowhere I decided to join another forum for people who have fear of zebras. I sort of posted an ad basically looking for people who live nearby so we could bond over our fear of zebras. You know, just because it'd be fun.

Anyway, X, of all people, replied to my ad. He has a different username, but I could tell from his profile that he is indeed X. I don't think he has any idea who I am since my online persona has changed, and maybe unlike me he doesn't remember online friends as much as I do. Either way, it's been a couple days and I still haven't reply to his message and I have NO idea what I'm supposed to say.

The problem is I find my old self beyond embarrassing that I'd rather we forget the past and start over as total strangers. Also, I can't be sure how he'd react if I told him it was me. I'm going to be cautious here and add that I am not trying to pursue a romantic relationship with him, I just don't know whether to laugh or cry at this unexpected twist of fate.

Wow, that turned out to be kind of long. Oh, well. Comments?

Fear of...zebras?
And wait, there's more than one forum for people afraid of Zebras, but only like one for lonely people? Man, Earth is weird.

..Ehm. At any rate, I'd say act like you don't know it's him at first. And then be like 'Ooomigosh! It's you?!' or whatever. Would that be doable?

...wait. He stopped talking to you because he found out you were more afraid of zebras than he thought you were? Is his only a partial Zebraphobia and he can't relate to...total..zebra fear...?

Lol sorry, I'm not trying to minimize your problem as a joke...just...I hope you realize this is kind of an odd thread. :p but I think we can still maybe come up with some ideas.

EDIT:: OH WAIT. I get it I think. Is 'zebra' a code word for a fear of something else? One of the 'details' you changed?

Sorry. I get really dense when I'm sleepy.

gyneco said:

I'm currently in a really weird situation. I'm going to change a few details because I'm paranoid as always, but this is what basically happened:

A long, long time ago, when I was young and stupid, I joined a forum for people who have fear of zebras. I had never heard of such fear before, but as soon as read what it was, I knew I had it.

Eventually, I made friends with another forum frequenter we'll call X, and for various reasons we just clicked. We were like Rocky and Bullwinkle, but cooler. I may have had a crush on him, but back then I was so stupid I had no idea I had a crush on him (but if I looked back, it was so obvious he probably knew). All I knew was this was a fellow human being who also had an inexplicable fear of zebras, and I liked him, and that probably meant something good.

A meeting was inevitable, and this was ironically when X found out that my fear of zebras was worse than I made it sound. One thing led to another, and we just stopped talking to each other.

For the next few years, I was living happily convinced I was over my fear and was as normal as the next guy. But then recently, out of nowhere I decided to join another forum for people who have fear of zebras. I sort of posted an ad basically looking for people who live nearby so we could bond over our fear of zebras. You know, just because it'd be fun.

Anyway, X, of all people, replied to my ad. He has a different username, but I could tell from his profile that he is indeed X. I don't think he has any idea who I am since my online persona has changed, and maybe unlike me he doesn't remember online friends as much as I do. Either way, it's been a couple days and I still haven't reply to his message and I have NO idea what I'm supposed to say.

The problem is I find my old self beyond embarrassing that I'd rather we forget the past and start over as total strangers. Also, I can't be sure how he'd react if I told him it was me. I'm going to be cautious here and add that I am not trying to pursue a romantic relationship with him, I just don't know whether to laugh or cry at this unexpected twist of fate.

Wow, that turned out to be kind of long. Oh, well. Comments?

Please tell me you're joking..

(Please?)

Well, maybe You should tell X that then, that You want to restart? If You don't think You'll be able to do that, i think telling him that You don't feel comfortable around him anymore (and the reason why) is the best thing You can do for him. Avoiding someone without giving a reason is worse. At least i think so.

Perhapse you can re focus you energy to working on your Fears.
While social acceptence will give you a bit of comfort and a common thread or bond.
Eventaully you'll get to the piont of working on yourself.

Accepting your condition and who you are so that you're no longer living in denial is a lesson within itself.
By working on yourself and understanding yourself and having a relationship with yourself and cherishing
yourself...perhaps someday you'll be able to share that love with another and accept others as who they
are as will....wheather it be fears of zebra or fear of love...the many human imperfections or conditions.

You're still a human...perhapse someday you can see beyound your fear of zebra and make connections
with other humans as will.

fresia Everything And Run...or Face Everything And Recover....it's your chioce, You have a chioce.
The fear of zebra had manifest or morph itself into other area of your life...
Fear comes in unlimted forms....It is Fear itself we must Face and walk through.
By facing your fears of zebra,...you'll also had experince courage of facing fear.
You can apply the same lesson by facing the fears you generate with X.

maybe you won't be afraid of expressing yourself as to inform X...there's variouse degree of the fear of Zebra.
If X can't accept that..then X needs to go work on his acceptence...or step #1 :p

First things first....get right with yourself.
if you don't get right with yourself...you'll never get right with others.
You can't give what you don't have....wheather it be to X or another.

The key is...you can't fix X and X can't fix you.

A plant grows from a seed outward from the inside out.
Happiness is an inside job.

Tell me if Zebra is a code for some other phobia or is it really a Zebra phobia? Man that sounds really odd

gyneco said:

Oh i hope not. I have nothing helpful to add but i like the style of the writing.

And for those that asked ...
gyneco said:
I'm going to change a few details....

Yeah Minus, that only occurred to me after I'd spent 10 minutes trying to find information on Zebraphobia, though. :p

I wouldn't feel the need to tell him before meeting him (unless he asks)because you are a different person now. Your persona has changed. Go with the flow of meeting him. You both are different people now and bringing up the past might color his perception of you unfairly. This is a new start. Enjoy it without the past complications.

Sanal said:
Tell me if Zebra is a code for some other phobia or is it really a Zebra phobia? Man that sounds really odd

errr....I'm thinking it's just an analogy

Not calling it silly but never heard of it, thats why I asked if its a code or anything. Sorry if I offend you by any chance.

(..and sorry for not giving any valuable comments. I really suck at it. Just wanted to know about the phobia.)

Well, I'm going to say this, and it comes from my heart and I believe it... Things happen for a reason. It's so odd and strange that you two would meet up again. Think about it... The millions of people on the internet and you two have met up again. Grant it, it was on a forum for the same cause, but you still started talking to him again. Things happen for a reason. Things happen because they're supposed to. And maybe this relationship, friends or otherwise, is supposed to mean more than either of you could ever imagine. But it's up to you whether or not you want to make yourself known. Personally, I'd wait it out a bit. See how he reacts to you.

umm solution?

xpress_disguise.jpg

maybe act like you don't know him then ya if you meet, maybe be like eGAST! it's you!

i'm sorry mean ditchy people suck even if we still miss them i can relate

*hugs*

Latest posts

Back