Death fear

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonely_girl

Reaction score
Besides my issues, when I do have the odd good day or if I feel to be happy, I cant be happy because I have this fear of death and it will always make me feel upset and drag me down:( I believe in God, always pray, Iam Catholic but maybe not that confident in it. I dont know... Im scared to be happy because if Iam then you hear about bad stuff happening in the news to people, too many people dieing and it gets me upset again. And then Im scared whats after this life, is it just nothing or do we really go on pass over somewhere? Im terrorfied the thought of just dieing and thats it, nothing.... Its so scarey, Im confused. And I be wondering where are the people now who have died, I hope they are liveing on some place, but where and how? I have had this problem for 2 years now, it wont go away

Lonely_girl said:
No I dont. And I dont know what would get that fear away

I used to have OCD. Therapy helped me to get rid of that.

It may not help you, but it might.

Lonely_girl said:
Besides my issues, when I do have the odd good day or if I feel to be happy, I cant be happy because I have this fear of death and it will always make me feel upset and drag me down:( I believe in God, always pray, Iam Catholic but maybe not that confident in it. I dont know... Im scared to be happy because if Iam then you hear about bad stuff happening in the news to people, too many people dieing and it gets me upset again. And then Im scared whats after this life, is it just nothing or do we really go on pass over somewhere? Im terrorfied the thought of just dieing and thats it, nothing.... Its so scarey, Im confused. And I be wondering where are the people now who have died, I hope they are liveing on some place, but where and how? I have had this problem for 2 years now, it wont go away

Learn about "thanatophobia". It is an abnormal fear of death. Ask any doctor where to get help because you may need medicine. DO NOT WAIT! Please listen to my advice. LG:)

Hi-
Dropping out of the Catholic church helped me to get rid of my fears. :)
I'm reading a good book now called "God is not Great" by Christopher Hitchens. Not sure I agree with everything he says but he quoted someone, I think Freud, who said if it wasn't for humans' fear of death and humans being prone to wishful-thinking, religion wouldn't exist.
When I decided to be the best person I can be to myself and others because it's the most humane thing to do, not because I want to go to heaven or avoid hell or whatever, I felt free.
I can't tell if your fear is pathological or if you're just searching for something more. But try to open yourself to new ideas and you might find what you're looking for.

Teresa

You're torturing yourself over the inevitable.

Given that death is certain
and the hour of death is unknown
what would be the best use of this precious moment?

The tragedy of your life, is not your death.
It's what dies inside you while you're still alive.

hey lonelygirl I used to be terrified of dying when I was younger, mainly becuase I was afriad of not existing, but now, being of more cynical and apathetic nature, I have come to terms that if I didn't exist, I mean it'd be sad, considering all i did in this life would now be moot but I think i would be okay with that,
mainly of us are afraid of death simply because of the unknown of what happens after death

i know life can be pretty dark considering there is usually always some kind of tragedy going on in someplace

but that doesn't mean you can't be happy

SofiasMami said:
Hi-
Dropping out of the Catholic church helped me to get rid of my fears. :)
I'm reading a good book now called "God is not Great" by Christopher Hitchens. Not sure I agree with everything he says but he quoted someone, I think Freud, who said if it wasn't for humans' fear of death and humans being prone to wishful-thinking, religion wouldn't exist.
When I decided to be the best person I can be to myself and others because it's the most humane thing to do, not because I want to go to heaven or avoid hell or whatever, I felt free.
I can't tell if your fear is pathological or if you're just searching for something more. But try to open yourself to new ideas and you might find what you're looking for.

Teresa

For centuries
the mystics of the spirit
have run a sort of "protection racket"
by making life on earth unbearable.
Then charging you for hope and consolation----Ayn Rand

I didn't think what they said was too insulting, but I could see how what a new life quoted could be hurtful to someone who was religious

I really like what sofia's mama said though,

I know since the thread has the subject of religion in it's concept, but we generally do not allow debates about religion and such

just please try to be respectful and courtious to everyone whether they're religious or not

evanescencefan91 said:
I didn't think what they said was too insulting, but I could see how what a new life quoted could be hurtful to someone who was religious

I really like what sofia's mama said though,

I know since the thread has the subject of religion in it's concept, but we generally do not allow debates about religion and such

just please try to be respectful and courtious to everyone whether they're religious or not

I want to start off by saying that I know many people have had bad experiences with religion, and I'm not invalidating their experiences.

However, studies have well-documented that religion has a positive influence on both the mental and physical health of people.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100804110337.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/12/101207091802.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100223132021.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/12/101207091802.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081023120228.htm

I should say I've been to Church once in two years, so I'm not pushing the theology; but when science shows that religion provides a crucial support service for many people, why would you suggest to an already struggling, lonely girl to abandon it?

her relationship with god and religion is her own

i won't deny that it can be a good and loving community with a good message for most people and I won't deny that can have positive psychological effects on people, but i don't think it's the answer for everyone, there are other ways to help people emotionally
i thought that sofia was just discussing her personal experience with it

LGH1288 said:
Lonely_girl said:

Learn about "thanatophobia". It is an abnormal fear of death. Ask any doctor where to get help because you may need medicine. DO NOT WAIT! Please listen to my advice. LG:)

THANATOPHOBIA
Thanatophobia, or fear of death, is a relatively complicated phobia. Many, if not most, people are afraid of dying. Some people fear being dead, while others are afraid of the actual act of dying. However, if the fear is so prevalent as to affect your daily life, then you might have a full-blown phobia.
Religious Issues
Many people’s fear of death is tied into their religious beliefs, particularly if they happen to be going through a period of questioning. Some people think that they know what will happen after death, but worry that they may be wrong. Some believe that the path to salvation is very straight and narrow, and fear that any deviations or mistakes may cause them to be eternally condemned.
Religious beliefs are highly personalized, and even a therapist of the same general faith may not fully understand a client’s beliefs. If the fear of death is religiously based, it is often helpful to seek supplemental counseling from one’s own religious leader. However, this should never be used to replace traditional mental health counseling.
Fear of the Unknown
Thanatophobia may also have roots in fears of the unknown. It is part of the human condition to want to know and understand the world around us. What happens after death, however, cannot be unequivocally proven while we are still alive. People who are highly intelligent and inquisitive are often at greater risk for this type of thanatophobia, as are those who are questioning their own philosophical or religious beliefs.
Fear of Loss of Control
Like knowledge, control is something for which humans strive. Yet the act of dying is utterly outside anyone’s control. Those who fear loss of control may attempt to hold death at bay through rigorous and sometimes extreme health checks and other rituals. Over time, it is easy to see how people with this type of thanatophobia may be at risk for obsessive-compulsive disorder, hypochondriasis and even delusional thinking.
Fear of Pain, Illness or Loss of Dignity
Some people with an apparent fear of death do not actually fear death itself. Instead, they are afraid of the circumstances that often surround the act of dying. They may be afraid of crippling pain, debilitating illness or even the associated loss of dignity. This type of thanatophobia may be identified through careful questioning about the specifics of the fear. Many people with this type of fear also suffer from nosophobia, hypochondriasis or other somatoform disorders.
Concerns About Relatives
Many people who suffer from thanatophobia are not nearly as afraid to die as they are of what would happen to their families after their death. This appears to be especially common in new parents, single parents and caregivers. They may worry that their family would suffer financially or that no one would be around to care for them.
Related Fears
It is not uncommon for people who suffer from thanatophobia to develop related phobias as well. Fears of tombstones, funeral homes and other symbols of death are common, as they can serve as reminders of the main phobia. Fear of ghosts or other entities is also common, particularly in those whose thanatophobia is based in religious factors.
Diagnosing Thanatophobia
As there are so many possible causes and complications, it is important that thanatophobia be diagnosed only by a trained mental health professional. He can ask guided questions and help the sufferer figure out exactly what is going on. She can also recognize the symptoms of related disorders and prescribe the appropriate course of treatment.
Treating Thanatophobia
The course of treatment largely depends on the client’s personal goals for therapy. Is she trying to resolve a religious conflict? Does he simply want to be able to attend Halloween events without panicking? The therapist must first determine the client’s expectations before designing a treatment plan.
Depending on the circumstances, a variety of talk therapy solutions may be appropriate, ranging from cognitive-behavioral to psychoanalytic. Supplemental religious counseling, medications and other therapeutic alternatives may also be used in conjunction with therapy.
Coping With Thanatophobia
Whether or not to seek treatment for any phobia is a very personal decision. Regardless of whether you choose to get professional assistance, coping with the fear of death can be an ongoing daily struggle.
PLEASE SEE A DOCTOR!

Ok, I think maybe deep down I fear it so much more because Im liveing a lonely life. I think life is a precious gift, but all my life its been lonely. When Im doing something out with a friend I feel better but thats once in a long while. My only 3 friends I got are all married with kids. I guess I feel Im wasteing life stuck rotting at home home everyday, barely no contact or communication with anyone. Im alive but kind of feel dead as it is and I fear death. Watching life slip by

Ok, I think maybe deep down I fear it so much more because Im liveing a lonely life. I think life is a precious gift, but all my life its been lonely. When Im doing something out with a friend I feel better but thats once in a long while. My only 3 friends I got are all married with kids. I guess I feel Im wasteing life stuck rotting at home and home everyday, barely no contact or communication with anyone. Im alive but kind of feel dead as it is and I fear death. Watching life slip by

Posting on internet forums is not going to resolve your abnormal fear of death which is obviously interfering with your ability to function properly and causing you to live a lonely life. PLEASE GET MEDICAL TREATMENT!!!

Lonely_girl said:
And No, I do not want medical treatment!

Iam even scared to have a pet because I cant bare the heartache of it dieing.

Your life, your choice. I apologize if I offended you. I'm sure you don't care that I spent precious hours of my time trying to help you because I thought you were desperately in pain. I won't be urging you to seek help any longer. At this very moment my dear beloved cat is in critical care at a veterinary hopital and she may die. So, I will focus my day on the decisions that I'll surely be facing. I'm grateful I have the courage to live life and not fear death. Best wishes to you in your life.

LGH1288 said:
Lonely_girl said:

Your life, your choice. I apologize if I offended you. I'm sure you don't care that I spent precious hours of my time trying to help you because I thought you were desperately in pain. I won't be urging you to seek help any longer. At this very moment my dear beloved cat is in critical care at a veterinary hopital and she may die. So, I will focus my day on the decisions that I'll surely be facing. I'm grateful I have the courage to live life and not fear death. Best wishes to you in your life.

You're more diplomatic than I would have been. Sorry about your cat.

Mary Mary said:
LGH1288 said:
Lonely_girl said:

You're more diplomatic than I would have been. Sorry about your cat.

Hello Mary ~ I really do appreciate your supportive comment. Thank you very much for reaching out to me with your kind sentiment. Best, LG:)

Latest posts

Back