delete my account

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wolfshadow said:
Nyktimos said:
wolfshadow said:
JustJones said:
I don't see why anyone would need their accounts deleted. Why not just stop visiting the forum instead? Is it some kind of symbolic thing?

Possibly. I've requested that my account be closed down a few times before, just to remove the temptation of posting when in a bad frame of mind.
In hindsight I'm glad I was given the chance to reconsider, because as messy and muddled as my contributions can be, I sincerely hold that it is important for people who find themselves drifting off of the social radar to be able to communicate in an empathetic enviroment.

Perhaps, in a virtual sense, this gives us an insight into the instinct for suicide as a statement. There really is no logical reason to delete your account.

Good point, I've never quite considered in those terms but yes, volentary account-deletion is (and I use this phrase with the utmost caution) sort of a 'suicide' of the users virtual indentity.

Is that bad?

JustJones said:
I'm glad you're staying. I don't want to watch someone's virtual identity die right in front of my very virtual eyes ;)

LOL

When you phrase it that way it strikes me as the most absurd situation. Pleassseee. . . . Don't end your virtual life! ! ! You've got so much to virtually live for!

Well; its much better than the virtual cries for help issued by the real life suicidal teenagers, 'cause what do they want us to "virtually" do. Send them a picture message of a care bear? Maybe next time someone writes a post saying "Today is the last day of my life" I'll respond with: "Don't guilt trip me with that bullshit you melodramatic queen."

No. I wouldn't really. I'm not responding to any of the direct suicide threats though. It's not a burden I'm interested in.

ExtensivexLDL said:
wolfshadow said:
Nyktimos said:
wolfshadow said:
JustJones said:
I don't see why anyone would need their accounts deleted. Why not just stop visiting the forum instead? Is it some kind of symbolic thing?

Possibly. I've requested that my account be closed down a few times before, just to remove the temptation of posting when in a bad frame of mind.
In hindsight I'm glad I was given the chance to reconsider, because as messy and muddled as my contributions can be, I sincerely hold that it is important for people who find themselves drifting off of the social radar to be able to communicate in an empathetic enviroment.

Perhaps, in a virtual sense, this gives us an insight into the instinct for suicide as a statement. There really is no logical reason to delete your account.

Good point, I've never quite considered in those terms but yes, volentary account-deletion is (and I use this phrase with the utmost caution) sort of a 'suicide' of the users virtual indentity.

Is that bad?

No, the more I consider it, the more I'm starting to think that "virtual suicide" is far too strong a term to describe the psycology behind account deletion.

Maybe some close their membership to safeguard their privacy or even just to put an exclaimation mark on the fact that they are done here.
Whilst neither are especially good reasons, they do follow a certain sort of logic that isn't too difficult to understand.

Wolfshadow, i think it just removes the temptation to come back to a site. its like locking a door and giving someone else the key.

SophiaGrace said:
Wolfshadow, i think it just removes the temptation to come back to a site. its like locking a door and giving someone else the key.

I can understand that. Not so long ago I started to find myself ranting and raving a little on here without even attempting to be constructive and at that point, I thought that it would be best to "lock the door".

Since then I've began to slowly address some of the underlying problems even going so far as to socialize (gasp). It has helped provide me with belief that I can remedy some of the things that make it hard for me to approach people and vice versa.

If at 32, I can find it within myself to build a life that doesn't revolve around, morbid, self defeating exile then I may just, by the skin of my teeth, have something to offer to other members.

wolfshadow said:
SophiaGrace said:

I can understand that. Not so long ago I started to find myself ranting and raving a little on here without even attempting to be constructive and at that point, I thought that it would be best to "lock the door".

Since then I've began to slowly address some of the underlying problems even going so far as to socialize (gasp). It has helped provide me with belief that I can remedy some of the things that make it hard for me to approach people and vice versa.

If at 32, I can find it within myself to build a life that doesn't revolve around, morbid, self defeating exile then I may just, by the skin of my teeth, have something to offer to other members.

That's fantastic! I too am trying to scramble out of this deep pit I've dug myself into and, I must say, this site has been a big help in that.
It's tough to change lifetime habits and it sometimes seems almost impossible but it isn't! There's always time to change for the better :)
Well done Wolfshadow!

such a incredible vocabulary O_O. Oh and in my opinion, everyone is a *******. its the people who can admit that they are, that truly understand life and its reason. good luck with it all mate wish you wernt leaving without giving the people here another shot,but do what you have to do.

JustJones said:
wolfshadow said:
SophiaGrace said:

That's fantastic! I too am trying to scramble out of this deep pit I've dug myself into and, I must say, this site has been a big help in that.
It's tough to change lifetime habits and it sometimes seems almost impossible but it isn't! There's always time to change for the better :)
Well done Wolfshadow!

Thank you JustJones. I also think you hit the nail on the head - it's about trying to dispel the idea that self improvement is somehow unobtainable.

Latest posts

Back