Did/do your parent/s ever promise you something, but didn't do it?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Animelover10102

My mom has a severe case of this. She lies all the time.
I have learned to not expect anything fun from her anymore,because she usually cancels our plans together.

Just yesterday, it was supposed to be just her, my sister, and I hanging out. She dropped us off at a museum to do "errands." Those errands were going home, changing clothes, picking up her boyfriend, and then picking us up. I was angry that she brought her boyfriend along. He was driving her car instead of her, and he almost got us hit by a speeding car because he is reckless and he drives way too fast. He exclaims that he doesn't ever speed, which is a lie. From what I've heard and seen, he goes way over the speed limit. He even scared my 64 year old grandpa when driving with him.

Then today...She was supposed to take us to see some waterfalls...guess what? Those plans were cancelled because she wants to go to with my grandma to some Motorcycle Event.

Last night, I had to stay up till 1 A.M to eat the dinner I had been waiting all day for, because she went off with her boyfriend, when there really was no need for her to.

She literally does this all the time.

My dad on the other hand, never lies like that. But I can't see him anymore, because his psycho girlfriend won't let him speak to any of his kids, nor his own family. I want to see him, but she won't let me. It's too bad that he has no where else to go, and is forced to stay with her...

The only one who actually does anything for us is our grandpa. Even when we tell him not to, or we joke around, he is so hardheaded, he does it anyways.

This is an annoying situation for you to be in. It is difficult when someone says they'll one thing all the time and then does another. At least you have your grandpa who is reliable and who does things for you.
You mentioned having to wait up till 1-0am last night to eat dinner. Could you not have made something earlier for yourself instead of waiting? It sounds as though she goes out a lot, so in your shoes I would ask her to leave something for you or make something for yourself each time this happens. She shouldn't expect you to wait to eat in he middle of the night. This is wrong and unfair of her.
Your dad might leave his girlfriend one day and then you could ask him for some help and support. The relationship you describe him as having does not sound as though it will last longterm.
To be honest, both your parents could do with putting you and your sister first for a change. It seems as though they are only thinking of themselves.

Tiina63 said:
This is an annoying situation for you to be in. It is difficult when someone says they'll one thing all the time and then does another. At least you have your grandpa who is reliable and who does things for you.
You mentioned having to wait up till 1-0am last night to eat dinner. Could you not have made something earlier for yourself instead of waiting? It sounds as though she goes out a lot, so in your shoes I would ask her to leave something for you or make something for yourself each time this happens. She shouldn't expect you to wait to eat in he middle of the night. This is wrong and unfair of her.
Your dad might leave his girlfriend one day and then you could ask him for some help and support. The relationship you describe him as having does not sound as though it will last longterm.
To be honest, both your parents could do with putting you and your sister first for a change. It seems as though they are only thinking of themselves.

Well, about the dinner, my mom said when we got home that she would make it, but then ran off with her boyfriend a few minutes after we got home...

I know how to cook, but I don't know how to work the deep-frier. (Because I wanted wings, which she promised to make)

And about my dad, he cares. He puts me and my sister (who isn't his kid) first. He just can't get to us because of his girlfriend.

Hi, I hope that your dad will come to be a bigger part of your life soon because it sounds from your reply that he could be a good source of support. Hopefully one day he will stand up to his girlfriend and remind her that you and your sister need him.
Ask your mum to show you how the deep fryer works so that you can use it yourself.

mine does it only half of the time, because she is scatterbrained :)

my father used to be seriously unreliable, because his work came before everything else, that was before I stopped talking to him in 1985

I think that everyone's parents did this. I don't think it's lying most of the time, rather that they're incredibly busy and end up forgetting what they promised earlier. I know that my Dad has spent the last 40 years promising me and my sister various things and his plans very rarely ever came to fruition.

On the bright side, the older he gets, the more he regrets the past and the more effort he makes to put things right.

Incidentally, the fact that your Grandpa is 64 makes me feel so old... ;)

My favorite response when we would ask for something would be "we'll see." When you're a kid, we'll see is the biggest **** let down on the planet. It was a such a nice, veiled way of saying "NO." Not one time, one single time, did we (my siblings) ever get something after hearing that **** response. But, I can't really complain as I did have a pretty good childhood.

I don't have any family anymore, but when I was growing up, my parents used to lie all the time, then act like I was crazy for pointed it out. They would tell me that major life events never happened. "I don't remember that." Yeah, okay.

I say fresia your dad's girlfriend. Who the fresia on earth does she think she is? I wonder why these things don't happen to me. If it were me, I'd literally beat the crap out of her. It just annoys me that people do that.
Your mom should pay more attention to you guys instead of her boyfriend, she acts as if she puts him ahead of you. What I suggest is that you talk to your mom, try to make her open her eyes. You take in a lot of honeysuckle. Maybe it's because the relationship you have in your home is different to the one I have here. If my mom had a boyfriend and she'd act like that I'd just say '*****, wtf are you doing? get back to normal or else'. Seriously, I don't tolerate bullshits. I ******* hate that. I just go like to my dad's girlfriend if he had one '*****, this is my pop, I come from the balls you suck everyday so you better stop acting like a ***** 'cause you're not ******* important as I am *****'.
Seriously. What has happened to earth? I don't tolerate bullshits, that's what I'm saying. Just talk to your mom and dad and try to sort things out.
Best of luck

The kind of stuff I'm always bothered about my parents is when they promise me stuff and they don't keep their promises. Specially on birthdays. It makes me sad. You expect it so bad, only to find out it were all lies. So when they say they will buy me something I go either sarcastic or skeptic at them

thelonegamer said:
I say fresia your dad's girlfriend. Who the fresia on earth does she think she is? I wonder why these things don't happen to me. If it were me, I'd literally beat the crap out of her. It just annoys me that people do that.
Your mom should pay more attention to you guys instead of her boyfriend, she acts as if she puts him ahead of you. What I suggest is that you talk to your mom, try to make her open her eyes. You take in a lot of honeysuckle. Maybe it's because the relationship you have in your home is different to the one I have here. If my mom had a boyfriend and she'd act like that I'd just say '*****, wtf are you doing? get back to normal or else'. Seriously, I don't tolerate bullshits. I ******* hate that. I just go like to my dad's girlfriend if he had one '*****, this is my pop, I come from the balls you suck everyday so you better stop acting like a ***** 'cause you're not ******* important as I am *****'.
Seriously. What has happened to earth? I don't tolerate bullshits, that's what I'm saying. Just talk to your mom and dad and try to sort things out.
Best of luck

The kind of stuff I'm always bothered about my parents is when they promise me stuff and they don't keep their promises. Specially on birthdays. It makes me sad. You expect it so bad, only to find out it were all lies. So when they say they will buy me something I go either sarcastic or skeptic at them

If your first thought is to resort to threats and physical violence whenever things aren't going your way, you're going to create a lot of unhappiness and unpleasantness for everyone involved - not least for yourself... take it from someone who knows.

You'll get far further in life by discussing things like a rational adult.

Cavey said:
thelonegamer said:
Best of luck

If your first thought is to resort to threats and physical violence whenever things aren't going your way, you're going to create a lot of unhappiness and unpleasantness for everyone involved - not least for yourself... take it from someone who knows.

You'll get far further in life by discussing things like a rational adult.

I didn't meant violence. I know I wrote 'literally'. I would never ever hit a woman. Unless she's a serial killer. But hitting a woman? Nah, that's for cowards.
What I meant to say was that I don't ******* tolerate ******* shits in my life. I'd just talk to them in the sweetest ******* way...
There are certain situations where approaches are different. I would suggest him to sit down and just start a dialogue with mutual respect for others' interests, of course I can do that. But, it's impossible for one to forget about his own child and that for me is ******* impossible to tolerate. It's general knowledge, I don't have to ******* beg for attention when it's one's, let's say, obligation to do so

thelonegamer said:
Best of luck

I'm sure you could have expressed yourself in a less offensive, violent, profanity laden manour. We do not encourage physical violence towards people nor suggest it as a course of action either. You said you didn't mean violence but your post suggests otherwise. That is kitchen table talk not appropriate especially on a public forum. If you wouldn't do such things I don't know why you would write them. Please be a little more careful in what and how you write things down. Many would find what you said offensive.

My dad, many times. I don't believe him anymore. When trust is gone, it is gone.

I think it's normal for parents to do that. They're working, trying to keep up the household, raise kids... I mean, they're human. I think it's the extreme accounts that sort of overshadow the good that many parents try their best to provide. One person who happens to be a parent, and is horrible at it to boot, completely takes the spotlight of those parents who honestly try their **** best to be a loving parent.

My mom probably said things that she was going to do, or that she meant to do for us or get for us, and didn't. Am I going to hold that against her for the rest of my life? No. Never. If she didn't follow through, it was because she couldn't or was too tired to do so. That will never overshadow the good childhood I had. I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones though.

I suggest you find other adults. Church, school, a club, a hobby group. All I ever found was the love and validation of men. That led to kids. I had 2 by the time I was 17. I needed a grown-up to care. My mom was single . We ended up homeless, hosing projects and in some pretty bad places. Apologies for her mistakes came to late for me, but I forgave.
You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. Some times the best family is not related at all. Be glad you have a home and grandpa.

Latest posts

Back