Do parties ever make you feel bad?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSolitaryMan

Reaction score
I don't know why, but going to parties lately just makes me feel really down afterwards. Just get this really depressed feeling once I've left.

It's like I'm putting on this facade when I'm talking to people. No idea if it works, they seem pleased enough with how I conduct myself.

But then it's always the same when I leave - I feel like I don't know anyone new, I was rather dull when conversing, I still don't know anyone's phone number (even the people I've known for years) and it's just me walking home alone in the cold evening air, knowing that it was all pretty pointless.

I just know how the party will begin, go on and end before I even go there.

Above everything I just long to dance and have fun or whatever, but I never feel like I relax. I always look terrible in photos taken of me at parties, I think it's because I just never feel chilled out at all.

I don't even know why I'm typing this, I can't coherently explain the feeling. It's like I'm glad I went, but get this profound sadness about how it all went, regardless of whether I had a "good time" or not :\

sounds like u have 2 choices really
1 stop going 2 parties
2 wrk on being more outgoing @ them
sry 2 oversimplify
but maybe it really is simple?
eithr way this current cycle is only going 2 bring u dwn
would really recommend u take option 2
doesnt have 2 b n overnite process
w/each party u can do sum small process 2 come out of ur shell
just keep buildng on it
1 thing @ a time
n dnt b so hard on urself that ur not an ovrnite sensation
these thngs take time

kamya said:
What is a party?
bunch of ppl all crowded 2gthr in a loud location 2 get drunk and/or high while there n eventually (hopefully?) get laid

I become very uncomfortable in a large group of people.. and so parties are no good for me..

If you like being around a lot of people, though, I think maybe best not to over-think it.. just take it for what it is, and take any enjoyment you can of it..

for me.... i get bored at parties. i cant just sit there and talk about everyday BS for too long before im anxious and want to leave. and when im around that many people for too long i feel mentally drained. i cant wait to get home and be alone and the only noise im hearing is from the video game im playing or the the movie/tv show im watching.

Guys, guys, theres one key to having fun at a party, the loss of speech and motor skills through the mass consumption of vodka (or jager if its a cool party)

I dont always go to parties...but when I do, I get wasted XD
its not an every day thing for me

I've never been to a "party" in the sense you guys are saying, but I do feel lonely when I know one is going on. I don't want to go though, even if I were to be invited. :\ Not my thing.

For "what is a party", this one was just a "music in background, talk to lots of people" kind of deal.

edgecrusher said:
for me.... i get bored at parties. i cant just sit there and talk about everyday BS for too long before im anxious and want to leave. and when im around that many people for too long i feel mentally drained. i cant wait to get home and be alone and the only noise im hearing is from the video game im playing or the the movie/tv show im watching.

This is my main issue, just the constant small talk with nothing else to do at these sorts of events.

I spent about 30 minutes talking crap to people, then I started thinking "Jeez, I could be sat in the warm at home watching a good movie or fighting freaking Dragons on Skyrim."

"Why am I here, in a cold room, listening to meaningless conversations about who's sleeping with who that are made even more incomprehensible by music?"

If people actually danced to the music and there was stuff to do, that in my mind is fun and I'd enjoy it more.

I've got a hearing issue, so music + crowds = pointless with me. I can't discern what people are saying at all in such a noisy environment.

So I stood around talking to about 3 people most of the night (the people I know the best and consider friends) and didn't do anything else. Just seems like such a pointless exercise. They were really tired too and even seemed a bit dazed by it all like me.

I don't drink to excess, so I don't have the crutch of "wastedness" to lean on either (it's a word if I say so! ;) )

I've been invited to another thing next Friday that might be interesting to go to (as far as I can tell it's a proper "house party" type thing), but more than likely it'll be the same deal again, I don't know...

Each and every time I read the title to this thread, I go, "Why would panties make me feel bad?" and then I re-read it and wonder why I didn't remember from the last time I read it. Geeeeeeze.

I very rarely attend parties, and always approach them as learning experiences. Kind of, "Well, such and such didn't go well last time. This time, I'll try this other thing."

Polar said:
They don't make me feel bad but sometimes they can be boring.

Very true of both panties and parties! :D

Meh, maybe it was just a duff location, who knows? I may throw my own house party soon. Gaming for the lads (and of course all the wonderful girls that get gaming and don't immediately dismiss it), nibbles, music you can dance to as oppose to fail to talk over...

Hm.

Well, from the few that I've been to yes, and no. Usually I just fail at socializing in groups, so if you're like me, I'd suggest trying to meet someone (preferably of the sex that you're interested in) and get to know them better in a one on one environment. At least thats what sort of worked for me. Otherwise I sit there drinking listening to other people talk, and go home thinking it was a waste, but I least I went out

PS. I dont mean to sound like a stalker, but from what I've read, you seem a lot like me solitaryman

Only parties I've gone to have been company ones and I hate them. I end up standing around by myself with no one to really talk to.

Parties, can be fun, and even if I do end up at a shitty party..... I make it! I am a 'squeaky wheel gets the oil type of girl' I have to make some noise.. I have to be the center of attention, now while some of you may be thinking, "Oh lordy, another big mouth on hand" well guess what... DING DING DING- you are correct!!! it takes a wild, happy, big mouth, not afraid to be silly, talkative, silly, non boring, flirty, positive, fun, willing, crazy, laughing, outgoing type of person to actually make the party get going, and if you have several of theses party animals on hand.. then the party will never be boring. (somebody has to be the happy fool life of the party!

I do suffer bouts of anxiety, really bad too.. but the way I deal with it, is just to over ride it, beat it, rise above it.. win it out! or otherwise I will wind up being sad, lonely, and left out.

only YOU can make things happen for you in life, be it party, or just a simple walk in the park.... and even that for me is most invigorating event.

Remember: "If it is to be, it has to be me"

Latest posts

Back