Do you have a religion?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EveWasFramed said:
SinfulVixen said:
I've realized over the years that it isn't necessary to have an old book of stories to tell you how to be a decent human being. A little Empathy and Common Sense goes a long way :)

*applauds* :p

agreed

I do have a religion and I intend to keep it.

SinfulVixen said:
I've realized over the years that it isn't necessary to have an old book of stories to tell you how to be a decent human being. A little Empathy and Common Sense goes a long way :)

lol @ it being empathy and common sense to call what over 80% of the world believes "an old book of stories". even if you believe that, is it empathetic or sensible to say so? what purpose does that serve?

what you call "an old book of stories" to most of the world, whether it be the torah, the korah, or other books, these are the living words of God. so, i wouldn't be too quick to dismiss, unless you have some actual knowledge of a lack of deity, these stories as myths. then again, i try to be empathetic and sensible with what i do and don't voice when it comes to insulting people's core beliefs.

and NO, i'm not a religious fanatic.

With all due respect, Just_Some_Dude, one is just as entitled to accept a religious scripture as nonsense as one is entitled not to. Surious arguments such as 80% of the world believes in it (for many, many millions also harbour completely unwarranted prejudices, such as anti-semitism - does that automatically legitimize it, just because a large proportion of the world happens to accomodate it?) or seeing some inherent value in lack of disproof (re: 'Russell's Teapot') achieve nothing. Though I accept that by the nature of this forum, one must necessarily be circumspect about such matters at certain times, there should be no requirement that one should automatically kowtow to religious sensibilities if one does not wish to.

I myself am an atheist. Though I am aware that religion does bring great comfort to many people, I am also aware that for a great many others it is repressive, disturbing and damaging. People can be just as unhappy with religion as they can be without it. As far as I'm concerned, it is superfluous to human advancement.

Electric_Fusilier said:
With all due respect, Just_Some_Dude, one is just as entitled to accept a religious scripture as nonsense as one is entitled not to.

i never questioned whether or not someone is "entitled" to believe.

i questioned whether it is "empathetic" and "common sense" to be condescending while claiming to be "empathetic" and have "common sense".

with all due respect, maybe you actually read before posting a knee-jerk pseudo-intellectual response. typical.

Electric_Fusilier said:
With all due respect, Just_Some_Dude, one is just as entitled to accept a religious scripture as nonsense as one is entitled not to. Serious arguments such as 80% of the world believes in it (for many, many millions also harbor completely unwarranted prejudices, such as antisemitism does that automatically legitimize it, just because a large proportion of the world happens to accommodate it?) or seeing some inherent value in lack of disproof (re: 'Russell's Teapot') achieve nothing. Though I accept that by the nature of this forum, one must necessarily be circumspect about such matters at certain times, there should be no requirement that one should automatically kowtow to religious sensibilities if one does not wish to.

I myself am an atheist. Though I am aware that religion does bring great comfort to many people, I am also aware that for a great many others it is repressive, disturbing and damaging. People can be just as unhappy with religion as they can be without it. As far as I'm concerned, it is superfluous to human advancement.

Thank you for responding. What you said mirrors exactly what I would have responded with...you just made it sound prettier :p

SinfulVixen said:
What you said mirrors exactly what I would have responded with...you just made it sound prettier :p

and nothing to my point, lol

An archist said:
So, that old havamal quote in your sig was for real, eh? Pretty cool dude.

It's been making more and more sense in my life and I identify more with the concept week by week. Some will say it's a silly fairy tale of a primitive people, but really, not any more than any other religion (and our level of intelligence, ie ability to understand and interpret, hasn't really changed much since then). I'm finding it difficult not to embrace, and there are some interesting concepts in the overall community.

Yet another factor to make me odd to other people in a primarily Christian time and area. :p Oh well. Such is life.

Just_Some_Dude said:
Electric_Fusilier said:
With all due respect, Just_Some_Dude, one is just as entitled to accept a religious scripture as nonsense as one is entitled not to.

i never questioned whether or not someone is "entitled" to believe.

i questioned whether it is "empathetic" and "common sense" to be condescending while claiming to be "empathetic" and have "common sense".

with all due respect, maybe you actually read before posting a knee-jerk pseudo-intellectual response. typical.

As you wish. Personally, religion is so meaningless to me that I can't even be bothered to get into a bad-tempered argument about it :p

Brian said:
It's been making more and more sense in my life and I identify more with the concept week by week. Some will say it's a silly fairy tale of a primitive people, but really, not any more than any other religion (and our level of intelligence, ie ability to understand and interpret, hasn't really changed much since then). I'm finding it difficult not to embrace, and there are some interesting concepts in the overall community.

Nothing makes more sense to me than the viking/northern european outlook on life:

Have fun, enjoy a good fight, fearlessly chase challenges, celebrate death!

Belief in Valhalla is optional. :p

Just_Some_Dude said:
SinfulVixen said:

lol @ it being empathy and common sense to call what over 80% of the world believes "an old book of stories". even if you believe that, is it empathetic or sensible to say so? what purpose does that serve?

what you call "an old book of stories" to most of the world, whether it be the torah, the korah, or other books, these are the living words of God. so, i wouldn't be too quick to dismiss, unless you have some actual knowledge of a lack of deity, these stories as myths. then again, i try to be empathetic and sensible with what i do and don't voice when it comes to insulting people's core beliefs.

It is quite obvious that the bible is a book full of contradictions and errors checkout www.evilbible.com and it is child abuse to indoctrinate children with these ideologys the more people see that the better some in my family believe the world is 6000 years old despite everyone knowing that is bullshit there could be more to life than what we understand but that is not in the realm of science niether is a personal diety

The Bible is the one book in this living world that can be read and interpreted differently for every single person. It is just a story book. But it's a story book that's meant to guide those who read it. It's a book of healing for those who believe in it. Personally, I'm fascinated by the stories of the bible. They left a lot of stories out though. Bibles would be twice as long as they are now if everything was included.

So no bible bashing or bible thumping. :) We each can believe it to be what we want it to be. Willpower is a mighty strong thing.

VanillaCreme said:
We each can believe it to be what we want it to be. Willpower is a mighty strong thing.

Very well put, Nills.

OK...this thread is teetering on "religous debate" here folks. Let's all be careful that the thread doesn't get classified as such, cuz we all know that "religious debate" isn't allowed on the forum. :)

huggybear said:
Just_Some_Dude said:
SinfulVixen said:

It is quite obvious that the bible is a book full of contradictions and errors checkout www.evilbible.com and it is child abuse to indoctrinate children with these ideologys the more people see that the better some in my family believe the world is 6000 years old despite everyone knowing that is bullshit there could be more to life than what we understand but that is not in the realm of science niether is a personal diety

seriously? oh for the love of .... pete? :D

you can't be this convoluted of a thinker. think what you want to think, please do, i encourage it. but before you quote me again, READ what i have written. and think, actually comprehend what it is, then respond. lol @ YOU! :D

...and it's "deity", not "diety". unless you are speaking of richard simmons. he could be considered a "diety" to some, like a patron god of dieting or something. idk.

i'm certainly not debating religion, lol, i'm debating manners.

Just_Some_Dude said:
huggybear said:
Just_Some_Dude said:
SinfulVixen said:

seriously? oh for the love of .... pete? :D

you can't be this convoluted of a thinker. think what you want to think, please do, i encourage it. but before you quote me again, READ what i have written. and think, actually comprehend what it is, then respond. lol @ YOU! :D

...and it's "deity", not "diety". unless you are speaking of richard simmons. he could be considered a "diety" to some, like a patron god of dieting or something. idk.

i'm certainly not debating religion, lol, i'm debating manners.

Richard simmons that guy is funny well you have really good manners then heha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back