Do you plan for the future?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, not really...

It was something that I tried to do so much back in school.
I was the only one out of my friends who didn't know what they wanted to do with their lives, you know?
Everyone seemed to have their own little plan - Go to Uni, study for a couple of years to get their degree and then go for their career... Find a girlfriend, settle down, married by 25.

Me? Every time someone asked me what I was doing with myself my answer would be different. Every. Single. Time.

"Oh, I want to be a Historian!"
"Oh, I want to be a voice actor!"
"Oh, I want to be a professional gamer!"

And just... Over time, my answers became less and less sure to the point where I couldn't even lie to them, or myself that I had no **** clue about the future.
The more I thought about it, the more I realised that I really had no idea what I wanted to do with myself and whenever I tried to think about it, I'd always second guess myself.
Always had a problem with being indecisive.

But... dawned on me in the past year or so that it doesn't matter if I don't have my life planned. That it's completely okay NOT to know what you're doing with your life.
I panicked about it so much in school, and after I graduated; but it was fine.
I still have no clue about my future, but I'm okay with it now. I'll end up where I end up, and I know that somewhere I'll be happy with the way everything turns out.

Belief in myself I guess.
But, I hope that everyone who IS worried they don't know what they're doing with their future can have some of their fears put to rest knowing their not alone.
And that it's completely fine, and completely normal to not know what you're doing sometimes.

No one can really know where they will be in 5 years time. In 3 years we could all be killed, or get cancer. I find it best not to plan far ahead. I try to plan for the next week or so. When life feels more secure, I'll show concern for the more distant future :)

I have never really planned for the future. I have always felt out of place and have never had any idea what to do with myself. I know a very few certain things I want, none of which have anything to do with securing a future when it comes to a job or anything important like that though.

So lately I've been trying to think more about the future. Not plan exactly, but at least dream a little of things I'd like to do or accomplish one day. But my habit of always seeing the worst possible outcome in any situation is giving me a headache.

I can't even daydream anymore without the constant fear of failure.

Locke said:
So lately I've been trying to think more about the future. Not plan exactly, but at least dream a little of things I'd like to do or accomplish one day. But my habit of always seeing the worst possible outcome in any situation is giving me a headache.

I can't even daydream anymore without the constant fear of failure.

I plan and think about the things I can control, eg my golf game, holidays plans, things I am going to buy. I don't think at all about girlfriends or friends. I have no control or say in whether I will be single or not in the future. I realize you can't force someone to like you.

I've always been a planner who struggled to finalize. I tend to get so caught up in possibilities and worries that I don't feel confident about any of the choices in front of me. What if this? What about that? Over the course of my life I've found that it's better to make a decision and stick to it.

No, not really. That's probably why my life hasn't changed for the better much.

"Life is What Happens To You While You're Busy Making Other Plans" - John Winston Lennon

I'm guilty of not planning for the future. I am a pretty free spirit and have the very bad habit of thinking things will just take care of themselves. I read an article recently that I found very interesting about the people in my profession (healthcare). Apparently we are known for being bad planners and tend to float from job to job. So promising :p

My plans are largely dependent on advancements in modern medicine. For example, if regenerative medicine doesn't produce a functioning heart by the time I'm 35, I'm likely a goner. But, I have a lot of confidence that I will be able to overcome many of my natural limitations.

That being said, I don't plan for a normal life. I have already decided that there are certain things in life I won't pursue for the time being. I'm just focused on having a future.

Not sure for my future is going to be like.

5 years ago, I wanted to be a professional motorbike mechanic by now and own fastest bike by now. Unfortunately, my plan changed few years ago because I fell off my motorbike while riding. I was 17 and realised it was one of phrase I went through. Thank god, I had back up plan which it didn't work out. I wanted to be scientist but dropped out course.

Now, 5 years on, I studied accountancy in college and got a job as financial assistant. It was never part of my 5 years plan but to my surprise, I actually enjoy it.And its more realistic. Phew!!!

SherryGee said:
Now, 5 years on, I studied accountancy in college and got a job as financial assistant. It was never part of my 5 years plan but to my surprise, I actually enjoy it.And its more realistic. Phew!!!

Great that things turned out good for you in the end. I guess things happen for a reason, eh.

I used to do that, and everytime i failed i felt like dying because all my dreams and hopes turned into nightmares and hell, so i have learnt the hard way to not plan my future, just work on my present and try to get over my past.

Beckett said:
I used to do that, and everytime i failed i felt like dying because all my dreams and hopes turned into nightmares and hell, so i have learnt the hard way to not plan my future, just work on my present and try to get over my past.

Same.

I have a few things planned up for my future and I'm holding them close to my heart. Anytime I tel anyone what I'm doing, I just get a big laugh and they ask me if that's all I'm doing with my life. My future is to move out of Florida, I want to get out of this state. At the moment I'm still trying to get back on my feet and start all over again. So in 5 years, all I really hope for is that I'm no longer living in Florida anymore, lol.

Everything else, I don't really have anything planned. I like going with the flow of things more, I'm terrible at planning ahead. Planning ahead scares me to be honest. And I don't like disappointment. That's most likely why I never plan anything anymore.

Latest posts

Back