Does advertising work better on the lonely?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roguewave

Reaction score
I think it does.

Especially because so many ads promise the consumer that if they buy the product it will lead to popularity, success and love.

What do you think?

Do you have to be especially mindful in order to not get sucked into the false promises featured in these types of ads?

I do.

Thoughts...

I'm not sure. Is there a specific advertisement that you have in mind? I've seen the commercial for the men's body spray that show the guy that uses the spray has to fight the women off. Completely stupid and only makes me want to avoid the product more. I guess I'm a lonely skeptic.

I don't know. The more lonely I get the fewer commercials I watch since most of them are so depressing.

WickedCat said:
I'm not sure. Is there a specific advertisement that you have in mind? I've seen the commercial for the men's body spray that show the guy that uses the spray has to fight the women off. Completely stupid and only makes me want to avoid the product more. I guess I'm a lonely skeptic.

Ha Ha ! I buy that stuff ! :D

putter65 said:
WickedCat said:

Ha Ha ! I buy that stuff ! :D

I must admit, I've bought some right crap in the past. There is a scent you can buy that claims to attract women. Bought some of that years ago, didn't do any good of course.

Also bought this booklet that's supposed to get you women. That didn't help much either.

WickedCat said:

I didn't have a specific ad in mind. Any product that claims it will make you instantly popular and get you a bf/gf.
It's funny that the body sprays/deo commercials so often show someone fighting off lustful members of the opposite sex!!

I might be deluded but I'm not sure advertising works on me. All it does is remind me things exist. Things I've bought or buy anyway.

Perhaps its an upside of being a bit of a pessimist. I never watch a perfume ad and think "wow if I get that very attractive angular people will want to sleep with me". Then again I hate perfume anyway. Those types of adverts do annoy me though especially at Christmas just because of the sheer volume of them. That and the fact they are laughable. As its a pointless product all they can sell it on is a lifestyle choice and which lifestyle choice sells the best...sex...:p

It depends on the person, i think..
I avoid advertising because i have no interest to buy things. Most things sold, is just junk, it makes many promises but the only real guarantee is it will lighten your wallet. I do not have the money or desire to buy such things.

I am sure many people fall into it, though !!
Advertising is rampant. It is in every corner. Many promises are made, and many people get a joy from buying things, and people shown as cool and popular always seem to have many various possessions. For lonely people, maybe buying things can replace other things missing in life for them. I noticed a lot of hoarding people, seem to have a lonely life. So i can see it is easy to happen.

Actually, advertising influence really depends on the person's individual beliefs, their personal choices, and their habits.

I took a marketing class in college, and I am familiar with this. Like, say, you want a girl to like you. Of course you'll buy Axe deodorant, because those ads are full of women throwing themselves at guys.

Does it actually work? Well, I wear Axe, and, no it really doesn't. But it does make you sort of believe that it will, which puts it in your head that you should get it. It's a clever marketing scheme.

When you see Justin Bieber, do you think girls actually like him because of his musical talent? Nope! If they were into musical talent, they'd be digging The Rolling Stones, or Led Zeppelin, or Michael Jackson. Of course, they dig him because he has an image, he's good looking, and therefore they can dream about having his babies.

Another example. Starbucks. Is Starbucks really the best coffeehouse out there? Nope, of course not. I can name at least three coffee places that are better. But since they decorated their logo with a cup of coffee, they have a good reputation, and they're pretty much the McDonalds of Coffeehouses...they get customers.

Without interest, there are no customers. And without any customers, a place will steadily go bankrupt. Especially in this economy!

As someone that has knowledge of advertising and marketing, I know that adverts are designed to work on people's emotions. They prey on people's insecurities, gullibility and most often on their lack of knowledge regarding a subject. Sometimes they try to sound clever by adding scientific words that if you go sit and think about it you will realise that 90% of what is said visually and verbally in an ad that it is utter BS.

People want to believe in something and that is exactly what advertising provides, something to believe in, even if they pull the wool over the consumers eyes. Fortunately when it comes to spending money I'm fairly level headed and will only buy something after considering every possible angle, can I afford it, does it really going to change my current life in any way and do I have space for it, for me it isn’t the problem that I really have to have that item because A, B and C have the same thing.

Latest posts

Back