Does anybody else only play old school video games?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaningIntoTheMuse

Reaction score
I know nothing about current video games, but I have a wide selection on the consoles here:

• Nintendo
  • Super Nintendo
  • Sega Genesis
  • GameCube
  • Game Boy/Game Boy Advance

I am actually thinking about getting a cheap Atari, because I'm fascinated by it. One of my friends has one, and it's amazing that some of them still work.

Also, I have games for a Sega Game Gear, but the Game Gear isn't working now...and I can't figure out why.

Anyway, I had one person on another forum call me retarded for liking all these old games, but I just do. They're better than current games. And there's that nostalgic thing, that I played them when I was young, that draws me in to playing them.

Eh, maybe one of these days I'll get a Playstation, an XBox, or a Wii. Still thinking about it...

I love you soooooooooooooooooooo super much! I love old school gaming! Lets dish! :D

Right now, I'm playing Luigi's Mansion on GameCube, and Super Mario Land 2: Two Golden Coins on Game Boy.

I'm going pretty far in both of them, especially in Super Mario. It's weird how the SM Land is so similar to SM World for the regular Nintendo.

I just bought The Legend Of Zelda and Paperboy from Amazon. Both, I haven't played since I was a kid, but I have good memories of them...especially Zelda. I remember being so envious of my friend, because he had it and I didn't.

I'm playing Link's Awakening right now.
Almost done with it. I have to say, it's easily one of my favorite Zelda games.

The original Zelda is awesome. No doubt about it. I'm not that big into Paper Boy. I'm kinda excited to try Hybrid Heaven.
I remember seeing it back in a magazine a while back and it looked interesting to me. As soon as I finish Zelda I'm going to pop it in.

BTW, You're awesome! ;)

Do you keep track of what you have by the way?
I would recommend this site for you. http://backloggery.com/

It keeps track of what you have, what you loan out to friends, what you've finished or have left to beat.
It's pretty handy. It will even randomly pick a game for you out of your collection if you don't know what to play!

Here is mine for example. http://backloggery.com/Gaming_Penguin

Looking forward to waxing nostalgic with you for a very long time. I could talk your ears off! :p

Is there a way I can log my video games on Facebook? (Yes, I use that a lot.)

Hybrid Heaven? Is that for the NES? If so, I might try it....

No wait, it's for the N64. I used to have a Nintendo 64, but it was stolen. Crap! I was looking at it on Amazon.

I have about 30 games for the NES, 15 games for the Super Nintendo, 10 games for the Sega Genesis, about 20 games for the Game Boy, and 10 games for the Game Cube. Not sure how many I have for the Sega Game Gear, but I remember it was like 5 or something...didn't have very many. And at one point, I had about 4 NES 64 games, but gave them away, because I didn't have the console anymore.

I liked Paperboy because it was simple, easy fun. It's not something you blow your brains out trying to figure out. When I was bored as a kid, I was able to pop it in (plus, I was a paperboy at one point, so it was fun for that reason.)

Hmmm... I'm not sure if you can via facebook. Perhaps they have an app for that.
They do for a lot of things, so I don't see why not.

I use Facebook as well, so don't worry about that.

Paperboy can be fun. It's interesting the hell that guy goes through and it really makes you wonder why people live on that street!

I agree though. Retro games definitely have a feel and charm all to their own. I've owned a 360, PS3, and Wii all at one point.
I still own the Wii. A feature you may like is it has a store that lets you buy retro games from various consoles. They have Turbo Graphix for example.

They also sometimes have import games on there. Like you can buy and play the original Sin and Punishment. It never came to the states. So, sometimes it makes it really neat. Esp especially if you're into retro stuff. If you ever decide to purchase one, I can give you some titles to try if you'd like! :)

Hey, speaking of games, are you American?

There's a store called Game Stop up the street. So far, I've stayed away, and just shopped on Amazon, because I figured that they wouldn't have games for the consoles I do own...but I used to love walking into a video game store or Blockbuster, and walking out with a new video game.

If they sold games all the way back to NES original, maybe I'd stop in, you know?

Yes, I am American. Gamestop only goes back to like PS2. You can find GBA games sometimes though.
The tend to really only stock for the current and last generation of gaming consoles.

Just don't try and resell your stuff to them. It really doesn't go well in your favor unless you go on like a special or something.
Feel free to ask whatever you like! :)

I've been playing a lot of small indi games lately which have an old school feel to them, they are a good alternative if you're skipping out on the big budget stuff because you miss the style.

I love retro gaming, I have a small collection myself that I plan to expand on :)

Have you guys seen the 'Retro Hunters' or the 'Game Chasers'? I'm not sure from which states you guys hail, but in Texas they seem to have a lot of second hand/retro gaming stores.

Anyway, I'm trying to finish Castlevania II on the NES, but it's been such nice weather lately that I've mostly been spending time outside :)

PS: Nice link there Dark, I've been trying to find something to organise my collection and keep track of the titles that I own. Thanks for sharing it! :)

I completely misunderstood my video game collection! :eek:

Anyway, just went through and created lists with that website. Thanks Dark! :)

http://backloggery.com/winterstale

55 games in total. I need to get more! ;)

But I decided not to get Zelda right now. Paperboy shipped today, so it's included.

Yes you do! ;)

I tend to buy my games from garage sales or second hand stores.
I just see if there are any good deals and pick them up.
Every once in a while I'll go to a flea market and see what they have.

I love the randomness behind going to these places.
You just never know what you're going to find.
I walk away with some high priced items for pretty cheap sometimes! :D

I'm at the last boss on Link's Awakening now.
I downloaded it on my 3DS and I'm definitely picking it up as soon as I come across it!

I removed the ones for the Sega Game Gear. I just tried to play that console again, and I smelled smoke, so I turned it off. I think it, and the 3 games associated with it, are going to Goodwill.

So, 52 games now.

You could always list on ebay as broken.
People buy and modify old gaming handhelds.

For example, you can get a Sega Nomad modded with a new screen and the battery life improved from ebay sometimes.
They become peoples fun hobbies.

You can then list the games in a bundle and make a few dollars.
It might even cover your recent purchase. ;)

Gamecube is my favorite console :D I have about 40 Games for it. Most of which I either didn't buy or bought for cheap~

Best games?

Gotcha Force (If you know of this, PM me now!)
Tales Of Symphonia
Pikmin 2
Resident Evil 4
Monkey Ball

There are plenty more but I shan't list them. Long live Gamecube! :D

Dark_Poet said:
I'm playing Link's Awakening right now.
Almost done with it. I have to say, it's easily one of my favorite Zelda games.

The original Zelda is awesome. No doubt about it. I'm not that big into Paper Boy. I'm kinda excited to try Hybrid Heaven.
I remember seeing it back in a magazine a while back and it looked interesting to me. As soon as I finish Zelda I'm going to pop it in.

BTW, You're awesome! ;)

Do you keep track of what you have by the way?
I would recommend this site for you. http://backloggery.com/

It keeps track of what you have, what you loan out to friends, what you've finished or have left to beat.
It's pretty handy. It will even randomly pick a game for you out of your collection if you don't know what to play!

Here is mine for example. http://backloggery.com/Gaming_Penguin

Looking forward to waxing nostalgic with you for a very long time. I could talk your ears off! :p

Link's Awakening is a great game! I played it a lot as a kid on the GB.

Didi you know that if you pause just when the screen is moving to the next square, you'll skip that square and go to the next one? You can get to more advanced areas like that... and make glitches too.

I play a lot of old games. Those are my favourites. I must say I don't care much about new games...

Playing Age of Empires II btw.

internetmemesrtslogic.jpg

I didn't know that actually.
I just finished the final boss.
I love this game soooooooo much!

I suppose it's on to Hybrid Heaven now.
Hopefully it will be pretty neat!

I still play retro games too. I still have my pikachu gameboy colour lol ;)

The 'next gen' consoles are cool but they seem to miss some of the old magic

dannyr22 said:
I still play retro games too. I still have my pikachu gameboy colour lol ;)

The 'next gen' consoles are cool but they seem to miss some of the old magic

lol

I had a pikachu gb too.. sold it for us$100.- it was the best deal ever.

Agreed, new games focus too much on the visual aspects, which is good, but they seem to miss something.....

Green with envy :) Own no old consoles but I'd like to play again. Most memorable to me was Zelda, ocarina of time and the early Final fantasy but adore Pokemon too. Thinking of buying a "game system clone" . That way I'll be able to play both US and EU games.
Thanks for the backloggery link. I recently began a comprehensive list at gamefaq

Latest posts

Back