does anyone feel lonilyness has made them fearful of contact?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simhthmss

Reaction score
like for example i find even though i desperately crave to be held, hugged for long periods of time i feel so cut off from others even if my dream type of partner offered just tactile TLC i think maybe id be too alienated from others to get the confidence to do so i don't know, i know its made me a bit asexual as im far less sexually aware of attractive people the longer ive been lonely certainly, im wondering if say in 10 years id be asexual

Simhthmss,

It's crazy how much i can relate. I recently (few months ago) got out of a relationship, and for a long portion of it, i thought i was head-over-heels in love. But now looking back, i realize how closed off i was. I couldn't bear too long of a hug, or extended periods of affection. I would close up, my muscles would tense, and that would be the end of it. It wasn't even on purpose! More subconscious, but i was aware of it. For me it comes down to being afraid of getting too close, and then being left. That may be one of my biggest fears. Maybe these are similar repressed feelings you have? I'm throwing it out there because my situation is a bit similar.

Fearful of contact, no. It's made me want it more but because of my situation I stay clear of it. Plus people just end up letting you down.

It's been so long since I've had any type of physical contact, that I honestly can't remember what even a hug feels like (and a hug is as much as I've ever had). Sometimes, I wonder how I would feel if the chance to have physical contact with someone happened again. Would I be nervous? Yes. Anxious? Yes. Fearful? ..... I don't know. In some ways, yes. Like I said, I've lost all recollection of what affectionate physical contact feels like, so I don't know what my reaction to it would be. I'm not sure how it would make me feel. I would be more fearful of making a mistake though. Of not getting it right, even a hug.

I am fearful though, of never getting to experience a hug, a cuddle, holding hands, a kiss, or anything more. It seems like it's going to be that way though ....

I certainly miss it, but isolation hasn't made me fearful of it. I would probably find it awkward more than anything.

Loneliness made me want physical contact more.

rdor said:
In two words, awkward boner :(
^ Don't know if that was meant to be funny but it made me laugh. xD

The last time someone hugged me he told me I was a bad hugger... I guess I am afraid of physical contact. I don't think it's because of my loneliness though. I think it's because of all my bad experiences and it really only happens with guys. I hug my friends whenever I see them but they're girls and my friends. So, that isn't scary at all. I really would love it though. Hopefully I find someone who makes me feel safe enough to enjoy it one day.

It makes me both ways. I am fearful of making contact but deep down I very much want to be around anyone. I'm just too afraid to now. Though, once I talk to someone I can't stop talking because I miss having company.

Latest posts

Back