Does time exist?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INTERPOL

Reaction score
Hey guys

I read an interesting question on Yahoo Answers about a week ago and it really got me thinking in philosophical way lol

Does time actually exist?

Some people would argue that there isn't such a thing as time which came into existance. (whether by God or The Big Bang etc) Rather that humans created the concept of time themselves.

What do you think about this? Just thought this would make an intersting discussion :)

Time exists but its not something that we should concern ourselves with , sadly modern day life revolves around time. If you look around people that have schedules and and just do almost everything according to time have a very stressful life.

LOL I dunno If everyone's picking up exactly what I meant by time.

of course humans have organised time into hours, days, weeks, months, years ect etc. But is time something that actually exists as a force? Or is it something we just perceieve to exist because we age and such?

Another random question, suppose we could survive in space, would we age slower?

INTERPOL said:

of course humans have organised time into hours, days, weeks, months, years ect etc. But is time something that actually exists as a force? Or is it something we just perceieve to exist because we age and such?

Another random question, suppose we could survive in space, would we age slower?

If there is no gravity you'll not wrinkle, but your body will deteriorate at the same rate on earth.

If you move fast (faster than light speed) you age slower.

idk xDD I'm just saying stupid things))

Billy Spleen said:
INTERPOL said:

If there is no gravity you'll not wrinkle, but your body will deteriorate at the same rate on earth.

If you move fast (faster than light speed) you age slower.

idk xDD I'm just saying stupid things))

LOL wouldn't you disintegrate going at the speed of light anyway? haha

Thats true traveling at the speed of light makes thing age slower because you go in a different time shift or something like that . Going 1 year at the speed of light equals 100 years for normal movement.

Time could be considered a concept, but we have velocity, which is not a concept, things move at different speeds. The SI units for velocity are ms^-1 (metres per second) if velocity and acceleration exist then time exists

Yes time is the rate at which we measure change
Things change such as the orbit of the earth and we can Observe and measure the change,

So yes time exists

I don't think time exist, I wan't to believe that everything is meant to be forever..

I have been thinking about this too and it does my head in. From a science point of view time is and space are one, imagine a sheet of elastic and dropping a basketball in it. The basketball would make a dip and the sheet would appear to hold exactly half of the ball from where you are looking, But of course that view moves as your view does. So we say this sheet of elastic is the ‘fabric of space-time’. Now we do not understand what causes gravity, but the most plausible explanation is that gravity is the effect of the curvature of space-time on an object of mass. The more massive the object the greater this effect.

The good thing about a ‘fabric’ of space-time is that time travel is almost certainly possible. And it makes interstellar space travel more possible.

However I heard a theory the other day that disturbed me. The theory said that “everything that has been or will ever be exists all at once”. I am 30. I have lived in the same house in the same street for 28 years. The theory says everything I have ever done in this house or will ever do and my age and physical state exist all at once. I can not get my head around this. As 30 year old me sits in this room so does 4 yr old me and depending weather I move anytime soon so does 40 yr old me.

Some parts of theoretical physics I understand independently. Some parts do not fit together. You have to take from all theoretical physics what makes sense. Often what makes sense in the human brain makes no sense in the mathematical universe.

Once scientist theorises that everything around us is an illusions. When you watch your LCD TV it is made up of pixels. By some coincidence as you magnify in on say a leaf, you find it too is made exactly of pixels. Pixels are man made. If nature is also made of pixels perhaps they are made?

What I do know is that the universe is vastly more complex than any human brain can currently conceive. We only se parts of the spectrum of light. We do not see in UV or infra-red. So we may only see in 2 dimensions, perhaps there are 10 dimensions but we cant see them.

Don’t think about this stuff. It will do your head in. I know because it does my head in every day.

Thats really interesting. and I know what you mean, these questions do my head in too lol. I often get questions like these in my Religious, Moral and Philosophical studies class lol so I've always got these difficult questions to ponder on all the time :)

Time as a concept, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Some people may believe in the concept of time others may not, probably because they do not have 'solid' evidence to prove it. I believe time does not truly exist and is a concept created by people to create more stability in their lives. Let me ask you this; does zero exist?

Time only exists in the human mind.We are obsessed with time to the point,that we have to apply it,to the entire universe.Even our entire understanding of physics doesn't work outside our own world.

The only thing that time serves on this planet,is the passing of the seasons,and that is peculiar to us only.Our sun will eventually die,and with it,our solar system,but the universe is timeless.

Jilted John said:
Time only exists in the human mind.We are obsessed with time to the point,that we have to apply it,to the entire universe.Even our entire understanding of physics doesn't work outside our own world.

The only thing that time serves on this planet,is the passing of the seasons,and that is peculiar to us only.Our sun will eventually die,and with it,our solar system,but the universe is timeless.

Get the man a cake cause he owned this.

Latest posts

Back