Don't like smiling

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MalphasR

Reaction score
I just don't like smiling. It doesn't really bother me, but it bothers others. I generally dislike bothering other people, because then they are unhappy. And it draws attention towards me. All of my shirts are pretty much the same, black turtleneck shirts made by the same brand. I often cover my mouth with the turtleneck part, so if I accidentally smile, no one will notice.

I believe it came from when I used to have friends, who would ask me if I have any problems. I smile because I don't want to worry them. I absolutely dislike worrying people, even if they don't get worried but I feel they may. Yet I also disliked hiding behind said smile. There are also some other stuff, but there is no need to mention it...
I still would rather not smile, so I guess what I am asking is, what can I do to ensure that others are not bothered when I should be smiling? I probably shouldn't care what other people think (especially considering I am talking about people I don't know)... But I do.
It normally isn't easy to make me smile, almost impossible to get a chuckle or a laugh out of me. But when it does happen, I feel uncomfortable... If that makes sense.

Hmm... Well, at least over 5 years. It did not really kick in until about 2 years ago, however. Though, I currently do not feel depressed. Haven't for months now.

MalphasR said:
I just don't like smiling. It doesn't really bother me, but it bothers others. I generally dislike bothering other people, because then they are unhappy. And it draws attention towards me. All of my shirts are pretty much the same, black turtleneck shirts made by the same brand. I often cover my mouth with the turtleneck part, so if I accidentally smile, no one will notice.

i used to suffer from depression myself and its great ur getting over it but its still there..not feeling the desire to laugh or be happy is depression..it wont hurt u or anyone around if u try to do it more often ;)

You should smile, smiling and laughing can often lift your mood. There's nothing wrong with smiling just to return a strangers smile or at something that amuses you. You feel uncomfortable because of your misgivings about smiling or allowing happiness, because that is what you are really denying yourself. When we are happy we smile. The only reason I see is that it's because you don't feel like it. Why don't you smile?

:)

I usually smile and laugh a lot when talking to people my age, especially girls. Helps lighten the air lol.

Do your best to make it sincere, smile, it tells everyone you're outgoing and happy; the type of person everyone would like to be friends with!

Good luck. :D

Latest posts

Back