Earliest memories

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else but my mind is constantly thinking, even as I type this I'm thinking about random stuff at the same time; almost like interference.

I have this amazing ability of remembering small details and events from my past, and every day I see things that triggers a memory to pop up in my mind, but more often than not it's just random. Sometimes it amazes me at just what I remember and just how vivid they are; other times it also amazes me what I don't remember, lol.

Just this morning right after I woke I was remembering things from when I was younger, and that got me thinking about what the earliest thing I could remember, how far back I could recall.

My first proper memory is when I was pretty young, I was awake before my parents and I could hear other kids outside. I'm not sure how young I was but I remember using my pram to reach the latch to open the front door to go out and play with the other kids. I actually remember how sunny it was, that early morning sun that's nice and warm, I remember where I lived at that time, the walls and even the type and color of the bricks. The other kids were using an old skateboard to ride down a hill and I wanted a go but they were older kids and they were all taking turns, I think I managed to have a go at some point before I got rushed back in by my parents who woke to find that I had escaped.

What's the earliest memory other people have?

I can remember quite far back, and usually in detail. In one of my earliest memories, I remember taking my diaper off in my room and running out to the living room to show my parents. I was proud of myself for getting it off and expected my parents to be pleased as well, but they reacted differently for obvious reasons (that I didn't understand at the time), lol.

In another early memory, probably earlier than the former, I remember standing up in my crib and looking around me. There was a painted wood carving of my name sitting on a shelf, and I stared at it for a long time. Something clicked in my brain, and I remember suddenly realizing that it had meaning.

^It's so cool you could remember yourself that young, Solivagant.

My earliest memory was of me getting a doll from my father. I was proud of it so when my father wanted take some photos of me, I asked if I could take it with the doll. Either my mother or him got my hair tied up like Pebbles from the Flintstones and I was dressed in this rainbow coloured clothing. Then I posed for the photos. It was just me and my father. And I was like his little model. That, is the earliest memory I can remember. I was probably around 5 years old there. Don't remember anything younger.. oddly.

One of my earliest memories is myself being about 3-4 years old and my parents are fighting, yelling, shouting curse words to each other and also throwing stuff. I walk down the stairs from my room and dad shouts me to go back. :(

I was 3 years old also. I can never forget this memory. My family just got off the plane and then I saw a crowd of people welcoming us and the other migrants. Then I started to cry because I was scared of all the attention(I thought they were all greeting me). and that's it.

I may have had a memory but I'm not sure if it really happened. I was less then 3. I remember a man coughing in front of me and I mimicked him. We were in a filipino jeepney. what's odd was it was unusually bright though.

My first memory is when I was 16 months old when my younger sister was born. I remember walking down the road holding my Dad's hand to tell my Grandma about the new baby. More vividly, I remember the new bright red shoes I had been bought and was wearing that day. Nice memory!

Sitting on my grandpa's lap in my grandparents' living room. Always thought I was 4 years old then, but later I noticed he died in '95. So I was actually 3 years old. But I seem to have no memory beyond this one, at least not from toddler age.

I know it now, but didn't know it back then, that I was as a child very jealous of my 4 years younger sister. One day, I took all the toys out of the toy chest and picked her up and was going to get rid of her by putting her in it and closing the top. I stood there a second and it hit me I couldn't do that and I put her down and lost my footing. I fell straight backwards and hit my head on the point of the baseboard. I got up and ran into the kitchen to see if my mother heard anything and knew. She started streaming, but not AT me. She was screaming because I got a hole in the back of my head from the fall and there was blood all over the back of me. I couldn't see it. The next think I remember is getting stitches in the emergency room. I am not jealous of my sister today and if I was, I swear I wouldn't touch her!

I'm not sure what my absolute earliest memory was. Floating paper boats in puddles with my cousins, burning my arm on an iron while playing and then forgetting about it and crying when someone told me it was supposed to hurt, going to the farmer's market with my granddad and sitting on his bicycle while he walked alongside holding me on the seat, not swallowing my food so as to prolong the time my grandmother would spend telling me stories although she inevitably fell asleep.

With early memories you have to be a little careful. The power of suggestion isn't to be underestimated. One of the stories my father is very fond of recounting is about me shaking hands with everyone and saying hello on my way out of the house when I was about three, including with the family cat. He's told me the story so many times I'm quite sure I can see the expression on the cat's face at this point.

It's so awesome how all of you have such early memories. My earliest memory would be of myself at like 9 years old. Anything younger than that I wouldn't remember. To add on, it's so weird how everyone thinks i've got perfect memory, actually, I think this about myself too but I guess it's short term things or memory of things that 'stand out'.

lonelyfairy said:
One of my earliest memories is myself being about 3-4 years old and my parents are fighting, yelling, shouting curse words to each other and also throwing stuff. I walk down the stairs from my room and dad shouts me to go back. :(

Well that's crap, not all memories are good ones. My parents used to fight when I was younger too.

9006 said:
lonelyfairy said:

Well that's crap, not all memories are good ones. My parents used to fight when I was younger too.

Yup, it sucks... They divorced about one year after that. I'm sorry to hear that. :<

lonelyfairy said:
9006 said:
lonelyfairy said:

Yup, it sucks... They divorced about one year after that. I'm sorry to hear that. :<

Nah mine separated when I was younger, my dad walked out when I was about 13 but I'm not so bothered, I got over that a long time ago. I seen him for a bit after it but predictably it never lasted.

ladyforsaken said:
My earliest memory was of me getting a doll from my father. I was proud of it so when my father wanted take some photos of me, I asked if I could take it with the doll. Either my mother or him got my hair tied up like Pebbles from the Flintstones and I was dressed in this rainbow coloured clothing. Then I posed for the photos. It was just me and my father. And I was like his little model. That, is the earliest memory I can remember. I was probably around 5 years old there. Don't remember anything younger.. oddly.

That was a beautiful memory you shared, LadyForsaken.

My earliest memories were of the first place I lived, watching the construction trucks go down the street, and playing on the sidewalk with my own plastic trucks. I also remember going to the beach and to the playgrounds around town. I remember that I loved using the steering wheel at the playground, and later on the swings. I think I my earliest memories were from when I was 4 or so. I can't believe how long ago that was now.

My earliest coherent memory was the day a room air conditioner was removed for servicing from the second story of our house. From the garden outside, I could see the hole in the wall opening out to the porch roof....by myself I went inside, up the stairs, into the room and crawled out onto the red tiles of the porch roof. We moved away to another city just before I turned five, so I'd have been four years old.

I thought it was so cool to climb around up there but when the family saw me from down below, they freaked! I got in trouble alright. But that's OK, it's a cool memory.

9006 said:
lonelyfairy said:
9006 said:
lonelyfairy said:

Nah mine separated when I was younger, my dad walked out when I was about 13 but I'm not so bothered, I got over that a long time ago. I seen him for a bit after it but predictably it never lasted.

Aw, okey... I'm sorry, though. :/

Latest posts

Back