Facebook is depressing?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Facebook... I think it is what is keeping me from becoming mad. I stay in touch, at least superficially, with my friends via Facebook. Without it, I would really just be a caveman at home.

Yes it can be depressing when people keep spouting on about how great their lives are, where they're going and what they've just bought. I do find though that a lot of these people are actually very insecure and just need constant reassurance about how great they are. And the ones who continually moan about having headache or feeling rubbish drives me mad!

Miss Demeanour said:
Yes it can be depressing when people keep spouting on about how great their lives are, where they're going and what they've just bought. I do find though that a lot of these people are actually very insecure and just need constant reassurance about how great they are. And the ones who continually moan about having headache or feeling rubbish drives me mad!

I have a headache... *sigh, moan* woe is me. I feel so horrible today, I just wanna go back to bed. Sigh, will this headache ever go away.
Dammit, I have a headache again.

:D

Callie said:
Miss Demeanour said:

I have a headache... *sigh, moan* woe is me. I feel so horrible today, I just wanna go back to bed. Sigh, will this headache ever go away.
Dammit, I have a headache again.

:D

LOL right that's you blocked! :p:D

IMO I think its all about your mental out look as to wether you like FB or not. I know its not exactly very helpful for me to say this, but dont take it too seriously! :)

I dont like FB, I have never seen what has got everybody so hooked on it and when I did have the profile ages ago I hardly ever used it and deleted it, A. because i was bored of seeing the same rubbish and B. because the site is just...bad. (http://www.businessinsider.com/10-reasons-to-delete-your-facebook-account-2010-5) these are not the reasons i chose to delete the account but its informative.

For many people, this whole "Friends" list has gone beyond healthy. There are not many people that have hundreds on "friends" and know everyone of them and just add people that look attractive to them or whatever as part of a popularity contest. There is no need for you to judge yourself on this! You only have 10 friends and only add people you know well? Good! It doesnt matter how it looks-they rightfully belong in that list at the side of your profile. those are people you can probably call on when in need- can the person with hundreds say the same thing about their army? doubt it.

Status updates- So you have written something and got no replies. Maybe they are busy, or maybe they just dont get your intelligence. It confused me at first when I saw quotes and posts that were meaningfull and smart but had no comments (before the days of 'liking') yet posts like "Im having noodles, YUM!" had thousands. MAybe the site dumbs people down or maybe they just want to get away from using their brains too much. Not all of the updates will be commented on-dont let it getto you. There is also the fact that your attitudes may differ from theirs. Like somebody could post something that you would never dream of saying, they may seem like a total twat or maybe just slightly uncouth but then again- there is no point letting their opinion or attitude offend or piss you off. (I often get annoyed when seeing comments on news sites or any other site that are completely stupid, biased and have no evidence or correctness about them, but then i just think that the person that has said it is worse off than me.) Then theres also the fact that facebook is the only place they can share their opinion and have people notice it- in person no one would take notice of their annoying self. Id like to see how someone would react if the person who say they have a great like did actually say that to someone in person! Of course there are annoying people online just as there is in real life, you just have to find a way of dealing with them.

Adding and being deleted- So you have added someone and after a day they have deleted you-thats no reflexion on you or your personality. Maybe they have a different motive for adding you if you dont know them very well; many a time i have had people stop talking to me becuase i wanted to get to know them when all they wanted was a one night stand or whatever-sure it was annoying and it did make me wonder if i was doing something wrong-but then it hit me that that is no way to think. If this is the case for you-try finding a different site to make friends-someplace that has higher posibility for meeting people with similar tastes and experience (hence a reason i turned up here one day). It may take longer and you may not get many people, but you havea higher chance of speaking to people and getting to know them.

Relationships- do you really think thats a good idea? they can see everything about you-well everything about you but in a way that may not neccesarily show the real you. They may see the posts you have made and take it the wrong way. Then theres the fact that that pretty lad/lady may have seen your pic and added you, hoping for a sexy chat but when you wanted to get to know them they got bored. thats not your fault-its theirs!

Facebook is a way of keeping in touch with people, there is no denying that. Sure, I would prefer skype or MSN, but others prefer facebook. Its like anything in life-a bit of a marmite situation- love it or hate it, so you cant really argue with people for it. Like has already been said; if its getting you down, stay away from it. Theres other ways to communicate. Dont let it get you down! :D

Rolo said:
IMO I think its all about your mental out look as to wether you like FB or not.

Absolutely! I think that people are talking about facebook way too much. Mostly I use it for information I seek or speaking with someone from work or an old classmate of mine when I need to. I just don't see what's the big fuzz. Personally for me twitter is better if you want to stay informed asap.

rosebud said:
Rolo said:

Absolutely! I think that people are talking about facebook way too much. Mostly I use it for information I seek or speaking with someone from work or an old classmate of mine when I need to. I just don't see what's the big fuzz. Personally for me twitter is better if you want to stay informed asap.

Yeh! Its like its taken over every **** conversation in the world. It will prob end up like any other fad from the past- bebo, myspace...all the other stuff- they all were the hot new thing that were "must have" but then now they are laughed at. Google now (or will) have a thing similar to facebook called google+ or something- i wouldnt be suprised if that becomes popular and people forget all about facebook. Its a shame people use things like this as a measure of their lives. I was a bit like it in the past, but now i have realised what it does to people! :D

Rolo said:
rosebud said:
Rolo said:

Yeh! Its like its taken over every **** conversation in the world. It will prob end up like any other fad from the past- bebo, myspace...all the other stuff- they all were the hot new thing that were "must have" but then now they are laughed at. Google now (or will) have a thing similar to facebook called google+ or something- i wouldnt be suprised if that becomes popular and people forget all about facebook. Its a shame people use things like this as a measure of their lives. I was a bit like it in the past, but now i have realised what it does to people! :D

It's a brilliant way to control people. To take society's mind of the real issues unfolding around us every day. Trends come and go. Look at myspace now. Facebook is adding voip and skype intergration for a desperate attempt to counter the google network fiasco. Brings a tear to my eye... from laughing.

rosebud said:
Rolo said:
rosebud said:
Rolo said:

It's a brilliant way to control people. To take society's mind of the real issues unfolding around us every day. Trends come and go. Look at myspace now. Facebook is adding voip and skype intergration for a desperate attempt to counter the google network fiasco. Brings a tear to my eye... from laughing.

I know just what you mean- economic problems, breakdown of society...hold on, FACEBOOK HAS A NEW FARMTOWN ANIMAL!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant help but wonder what great things are being missed out on due to the constant bickering and rivalry between social networking providers and how they are distracting people from teh world around them!

Latest posts

Back