Fear of being judged

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway. I just realized that I didn't respond to the topic itself. Might as well.

BadGuy said:
Just wondering if anyone else here has a secret that they not only fear others know about but also how they would be judged
Feeling like I am trying to balance on the tip of a sword ... no win no matter what choices I make from here

Then I start finding out that the people I fear judging me have their own dirty secrets

I used to be more worried about this than I am now. For example, when I was a kid I was very reserved because I didn't want to be judged for liking the things I liked (Star Wars, LOTR, Transformers, roleplaying games, collecting toys, other stuff like that). I didn't talk about my interests publicly except to trusted friends, and I didn't even wear shirts of things I liked. Nowadays I look back and wish I could have done it differently. I would have worn myself on my sleeve, because I wouldn't want to give power to the people that I was worried about being judged by. What's so great about what they like anyway? How is their way any better than mine? I never really stopped to think about it. I believe it would have been better for my confidence to have just been me inside and out, and the haters be damned, because no matter how nice you are or how reserved you are there's always going to be somebody that will choose to have a problem with you, usually over something trivial. It's better to just ignore them than to wait for them to completely go away, because it's another way of waiting to be happy and letting time pass by instead of being happy now.

Later, I minimized the list of things I worried about being judged over to a much smaller one. The only things that remained were a few bad habits, which I stopped doing.

I guess the last thing that remains, and the hardest one to overcome, is the feeling that I don't want to be judged as a loser, as "not good enough". This concern is especially strong in the areas of jobs/money, interests and skills, and especially with girls. I'm still working on it.

delledonne11 said:
I did kind of expect to get more positive feedback here.

Do you mean on this thread or the forum in general?

I've thought about whether there might be instances when it would be very challenging to just shrug off people who might judge our secrets and move on. I'm a non-believer (in god) - I believe in secular humanism instead and I'm teaching it by example to my child. But announcing my un-beliefs to friends and family would likely lead to loss of friends, problems at work and being excluded from my community. So I keep this to myself, not always easy though.
In some places I would be called an apostate and could be put to death. That sort of consequence in my opinion isn't worth being 100% open to everyone about this particular part of myself.
I have a few gay friends who are closeted and they've also likely decided others' small-minded judgments, leading to exclusion and even physical violence isn't worth it either.
So fearing others' judgments of our secrets isn't always a cut and dried issue. There can be real consequences for saying the wrong things to the wrong people at the wrong time.

Anyway, it looks like the OP is frolicking on a Mexican beach at the moment and probably miles away from thinking about this issue :D

-Teresa

TheSkaFish said:
Believe me, I've been maliciously attacked on here several times, which is something I don't further wish to discuss. But I decided the good outweighed the bad.

That's fine because I wasn't about to ask you but I am very sure it was nothing like mine.

delledonne11 said:

Gee I'm sorry to be so honest here. Maybe I'll just sit back and pretend nothing's the matter.

delledonne11 said:

Gee I'm sorry to be so honest here. Maybe I'll just sit back and pretend nothing's the matter.
[/quote]

BeyondShy, I think your reply here is a textbook example of what Skafish was talking about earlier when he said you seem to perceive attacks being made against you that aren't there. Why did you think Delledonne11's post was aimed specifically at you?

You know, BeyondShy, the OP posted that he wondered if anyone else has a secret that they not only fear others know about but also how they would be judged
Do you have a secret that you're worried about being judged for?
If not, why have you hijacked the thread and turned it into your own off-topic thread about how poorly you perceive you're being treated on the forum? Not cool.

I can only surmise that you seem to enjoy being the center of negative attention.

-Teresa

Paraiyar said:
BeyondShy, I think your reply here is a textbook example of what Skafish was talking about earlier when he said you seem to perceive attacks being made against you that aren't there. Why did you think Delledonne11's post was aimed specifically at you?

Because unfortunately I was the one who shared the most in here when I tried to explain what was going on and that's why I think she targeted me. I'm not going to get upset about it because there's no need to. It's fine man. :shy:

SofiasMami said:
Do you have a secret that you're worried about being judged for?

No I don't. I get judged for everything so I don't need to have any deep and hidden secrets to hide.

SofiasMami said:
If not, why have you hijacked the thread and turned it into your own off-topic thread about how poorly you perceive you're being treated on the forum? Not cool.

I get it now.I'm only allowed to say what I think for a certain period of time. Now you have decided that I talked long enough you don't want me to do it anymore. I'm not hijacking anything. I am and was responding to people that asked me things about what I posted. You see, that's how it works.What's going on here? You've come to the conclusion that I shouldn't post here in this thread from now on? What's wrong? Am I getting too close to the truth?

SofiasMami said:
I can only surmise that you seem to enjoy being the center of negative attention.

You can surmise you can assume and you can guess all you want but you would be wrong. That's not the case.

You know something? Forget it. What I said, everything. I have zero interest in fighting with anyone. From now on continue on believing and assuming what you want about me like before. I won't go back and forth about this any longer.

For those who responded to me. thank you. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

BeyondShy said:
From now on continue on believing and assuming what you want about me like before. I won't go back and forth about this any longer.

But you get offended at almost every thing someone says even if they did not direct it to you. That's what you do to people first... and that's what most likely makes people not feel like responding to you because you might just take it the wrong way in an instant (since you keep bringing up about the photo gallery thread even after people have explained).

Do you even care to ask or hear people out? No, you jump right into the victim position, making everyone else the bad guy when the truth of the matter is, no one is out to get you here and that not everyone is obliged to respond to anything anyone says on this forum, on any particular topic. A lot of people are not in the best state of mind to respond to others here, sometimes they just want some lighthearted conversations or jokes, while sometimes they just only want to observe. My point is, you can't expect people to respond to you when you bark at them or doubt them or question their motives every single time, especially people who mean well towards you. I'm not saying you do this all the time now, but you certainly did do this a lot before and that sticks around as the first impression people have of you.

You're trying, I can see that but stop assuming things of people when you don't want people to assume things of you. That would be a good start if want people to stop turning away or shutting you out because it's frustrating as hell when they try to be nice to you but you spit on them no matter what, yet you complain people don't care to respond to you. Stop making everyone else the bad guy, and stop making yourself the victim of what doesn't even exist in reality around here.

OP, sorry to go off-topic. I'm done here.

I have a secret... A very shameful secret, which I reveal at great personal risk...

...I can't dance.

insane-dancing-gif.gif

Solivagant said:
...I can't dance.

Ah, who gives a ****. We dance duds should bust some moves anyway.

3db.gif

On a more serious note, during a conversion with my parents yesterday the old "being sociable" topic came up again. I straight-up told my parents that when I have to be among people from Monday to Friday I have a hard time enduring the physical presence of others on the weekend. My dad's reaction was "Don't let anyone catch you saying that", to which I replied: "Well, I don't go around telling people 'Sorry, would you mind going over there? I simply can't stand your presence right now' but that doesn't mean I'm afraid of implementing this attitude."

Paraiyar said:
delledonne11 said:

My comment was not directed at you in any way. I was thinking that there would be more interaction for reputation comments, etc.

Stop being so snippy with each other. This thread is more of people taking shots at others and hijacking this thread to do so than keeping on topic to the OP.

Lol, somehow delledonne11's last comment got messed up to make it look like I said that response and not BeyondShy...

I did not mean anything. I thought i was making a sympathetic comment.

Paraiyar said:
Lol, somehow delledonne11's last comment got messed up to make it look like I said that response and not BeyondShy...

Don't worry man I got your back. You did no wrong here.

Sci-Fi said:
Stop being so snippy with each other. This thread is more of people taking shots at others and hijacking this thread to do so than keeping on topic to the OP.

What was the OP ?

TheRealCallie said:
BadGuy said:
Sci-Fi said:

What was the OP ?

OP = Original Post

ROFL
I STARTED the OP ... sorry for being a smart ass

Latest posts

Back