Forgotten Poem

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWalkingDead

Reaction score
I hate it when this happens, there is a poem I read in my teens, by Rod Mckuen, I know he wrote a lot of cheesy stuff, but some of his stuff really resonated with me when I was 18 and very lonely and sad.

I've just thrown my personal home library all over the place trying to find this poem, even though the opening is in my memory. If someone here knew which poem or book it was from, that would be amazing!

Even if it's just in my head it is sort of an amazing poem about loneliness so I will replicate it here:

If I thought that I was dying,
And I am -
Of inattention, indifference, and the need
to prove just once
I've lived for someone other than myself -
What would, should my reaction be,
especially if finally and forever
I knew there would be no-one?

Would I, could I, go back,
Retrace my steps....

And that's all I can remember!

I really thought that by the time I got into my forties I would feel different, that I would have met someone, that I would have got over this sense of rejection and loneliness - but 26 years later I still tend to feel the same and people's behaviour at a time when I have really needed good friends around me, never mind a relationship with a partner, have just served to reinforce that sense of loneliness.

Things have changed, but yet I feel very much the same! And now it really does feel that finally and forever there will be no-one :(

Latest posts

Back