From people's experiences, what is the most effective Anti-Depressant?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAS

Reaction score
I've been taking Citalopram now for several weeks and I'm not feeling any better. I've been on other A.D.'s for short periods of time as a teenager but I can't recall what they were.

In your experiences, which A.D. works the quickest and the best? I'm seeing my doctor in a couple of weeks to get my treatment assessed and I want to have some knowledge. Cheers.

the most effective anti-depressant: Think less, do more. seriously. depression is the result of thinking too much about what you cant do and not realizing what you are doing, what you can do, is enough. Do more, think less. its the only thing that has worked for me.

when depression starts to come, i start doing something. i clean, walk the dog, go online, read, sleep and i do everything possible to stop thinking. cleaning is an excellent mind-numbing routine for me.

of course you have to learn to notice when you're starting to go downhill. if you wait until you've stopped showering, stopped talking to other people, and want to die, this method wont be terribly effective. in those moments you just have to wait out the storm and try again another day. but if you can start to notice when negative thoughts are creeping in, find something that numbs your mind, then you'll be able to keep it reasonably under control.

CAS said:
In your experiences, which A.D. works the quickest and the best? I'm seeing my doctor in a couple of weeks to get my treatment assessed and I want to have some knowledge. Cheers.

For me, Lexapro is the most effective. I feel a dramatic difference fairly quickly. I have to be careful of the dosage however, because a change as small as 5 mg can send me into a hypo-manic episode.

Zoloft was the worst. It eventually lost its effect and my doctor kept increasing the mg to find the therapeutic dosage; the side effects soon overwhelmed any benefits.

heretostay said:
the most effective anti-depressant: Think less, do more. seriously. depression is the result of thinking too much about what you cant do and not realizing what you are doing, what you can do, is enough. Do more, think less. its the only thing that has worked for me.

While it is great that such a positive attitude has helped you, you should not be so quick to discount the fact that for those people suffering from unipolar depression or depressive episodes associated with bipolar disorder, something more than just "put on a happy face" mindset is necessary. There is a huge difference between the blues and true clinical depression.

That aside, I do think that meds are overprescribed. It's gotten so that ADs are treated like Skittles, FFS. Some of us really do need the chemical intervention in order to function.

Real depression is not the result of "thinking too much about what you cant do and not realizing what you are doing," but a chemical imbalance of neurotransmitters.

I'm with you on this one. You have to catch it before it gets to the out-of-control point.

I'll also add (much to the dismay of some, I'm sure) that mood medications can actually create more emotional issues and conditions than one already has. I've seen this many times before with people, unfortunately.

Even our most modern and advanced scientists do not know enough about the brain, its chemistry, and how it functions to even BEGIN to create these drugs. People are being used as guinea pigs, and it's mainly all about making money.

There are other things to consider also, which most people highly underestimate, such as diet. If your diet consists of mostly dead foods (fast, packaged, frozen), obviously your brain cannot function on these because they lack what the body and brain require. To say it simply, negative emotions and moods are a side-effect of this.

Eating live foods as much as one can (raw or as close to raw as you can learn to enjoy - fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts & seeds) will assist a person to a high degree when attempting to regulate brain chemistry.
Also, if you're sitting around all day, that isn't good for the brain either chemically-wise. It needs exercise to stimulate the production of positive chemicals.

Sleep is also very important. Don't underestimate it. An adult human requires at least 7-7.5 hours of sleep - anyone under 16 requires even more. If you're not obtaining an adequate amount of sleep, you're creating problems also.

I know that it's difficult to get from the ultra-depressed phase to all I've described above. The energy just isn't there, but making 1 small step at a time is how it all begins.

Long and short this information is for those whom would like to have it. To those whom don't, may you have a great day. :)

heretostay said:

when depression starts to come, i start doing something. i clean, walk the dog, go online, read, sleep and i do everything possible to stop thinking. cleaning is an excellent mind-numbing routine for me.

of course you have to learn to notice when you're starting to go downhill. if you wait until you've stopped showering, stopped talking to other people, and want to die, this method wont be terribly effective. in those moments you just have to wait out the storm and try again another day. but if you can start to notice when negative thoughts are creeping in, find something that numbs your mind, then you'll be able to keep it reasonably under control.

I can say I didn't like prozac much at all. Citalopram doesn't seem to help me either.

I had bad experiences with Zoloft and its side effects as well. That was less than 5 years ago. Then two years after I tried Cipralex for 6 months, and it really helped, but I stopped using it for a year and a half now.

The only thing that has really worked for me is exercising hard 6 days a week, and keeping really busy. Taking a plunge into many things I used to hesitate on trying has created way more positive results than I could ever have imagined.

Sure. I get my low feelings some time, but I just hold on and it usually passes after a day or two. They also are starting to occur few and far between.

cheaptrickfan said:
While it is great that such a positive attitude has helped you, you should not be so quick to discount the fact that for those people suffering from unipolar depression or depressive episodes associated with bipolar disorder, something more than just "put on a happy face" mindset is necessary. There is a huge difference between the blues and true clinical depression.

That aside, I do think that meds are overprescribed. It's gotten so that ADs are treated like Skittles, FFS. Some of us really do need the chemical intervention in order to function.

Real depression is not the result of "thinking too much about what you cant do and not realizing what you are doing," but a chemical imbalance of neurotransmitters.

Type II diabetes is a result of insulin resistance due to an unhealthy life style and sickle cell anemia is an inherited disease one is born with. Which one would you pop a pill for and why? Do you think depression is more like type II diabetes? Or do you think depression is a biological defect like sickle cell anemia where no matter what one thinks or does one will be sick? And if that is your assumption, why? Do you assume that the change in the synaptic junction that leads to depression is not a consequence of one's thoughts and actions, like anemia? Why do you not assume that the change in one's body is the effect of one's thoughts and actions, like type II diabetes? Or can it not be a combination of both? Since you are the authority on 'real' depression, please, enlighten us.

My assumption, and therefore advice to CAS, is that most forms of 'real' depression are a combination of the two; both something that is not in one's control, yet can be maintained to an extent by ones thoughts and actions. I never suggested CAS stop taking medication. I have taken it myself when i needed it. There is a time and place for everything. However, it is widely understood that taking medication without working on cognitive therapy techniques is not effective; Much like diabetes, one cannot pop a pill and expect a magical cure. Since CAS is already trying one side of the equation, without a lot of results, i was suggesting CAS work on the other side of the equation- the cognitive approach. Dr. David Burns has a great book cognitive therapy book called Feeling Good. I have come up with my own approach that i refer to as a mind-numbing technique, but i also use a lot of Dr. Burns' ideas. I do suggest CAS talk to a therapist about cognitive approaches, as i believe they are more effective then other approaches like talk therapy, or medication therapy.

I never said it was about a "positive attitude" and "putting on a happy face." How you got that out of a mind-numbing technique where one cleans to avoids ones own thoughts is truly beyond me. Those are your ideas, not mine.

It is a well known fact that the best antidepressant is the smell of a village burning, the smoke hanging thick in the frigid air of a winter night, mixed with the agonized cries of those who opposed you. The sight of your warriors driving their livestock back to your own pastures, and the clinking of gold coin in to your coffers. They are vanquished; you may rest at ease.

Also hot chocolate, and furry little kittens, curled up against you while you're sleeping with their head tucked in to their paws, purring gently. Dozens of them.

ACCEPTANCE.

And just what the heck is happy anyway? For me, happiness (the polar opposite of depression) was always just not feeling as bad as I did yesterday. Shades of gray, clouds of mists, veils of shattered sorrows, these things I do have and can't they be beautiful and worthy and acceptable?

deirdre said:
Shades of gray, clouds of mists, veils of shattered sorrows, these things I do have and can't they be beautiful and worthy and acceptable?

thats really beautiful and you know, as i get older, that's exactly what has been happening to all my 'bad' experiences in the past. they are turning into something beautiful that i, oddly enough, cherish.

i do a meditation online that guides me through my thoughts, tells me to just let them come, and experience them. they are usually negative, painful things. at the end the voice prompts me to 'love' all these things because they are what makes me me. i was so shocked when i heard that, but at the same time it has started to change my perspective.

Thanks "here to stay"... this is difficult I think for the majority of young people here to see....us older folks have gained at least some wisdom along the twisted and rock strewn path of our lives and you can't but learn after awhile, even if you are as stubborn, dense and woefully unprepared for life as I was

My father always bemoaned the fact that I could only learn the hard way....well....that is and was certainly true...but there is definitely something to be said for embracing the darkness, the effluvium that tripped us time and time again and taking it into us, crafting it as part of us and finally getting to a place where people may stop and stare, but who the heck cares at this stage? We've earned the right to be eccentric and fully us, warts and all. I have braided my scars and wounds to the tapestry of me and yes, tho I do struggle with seeing them as beautiful or even necessary, this is the key. My ah-ha moment came reading a poem by Donald Hall about the loss of his beloved wife.... " "it is fitting and delicious to lose everything"...... what a concept!!! Delicious!!!! Yes, we have to take our sorrows, loses, defeats, or even the nothingness and devour them, savor them....that is the only way to reach the plain of, yes, we are here to stay, and **** it, try to stop me.

heretostay said:
deirdre said:
Shades of gray, clouds of mists, veils of shattered sorrows, these things I do have and can't they be beautiful and worthy and acceptable?

thats really beautiful and you know, as i get older, that's exactly what has been happening to all my 'bad' experiences in the past. they are turning into something beautiful that i, oddly enough, cherish.

i do a meditation online that guides me through my thoughts, tells me to just let them come, and experience them. they are usually negative, painful things. at the end the voice prompts me to 'love' all these things because they are what makes me me. i was so shocked when i heard that, but at the same time it has started to change my perspective.

deirdre said:
I think for the majority of young people here to see....us older folks have gained at least some wisdom along the twisted and rock strewn path of our lives
[/quote]

Interesting point, Deirdre.
So, if the young have physical growing pains, we have wisdom pains?

:p

LOL.... don't know about you, but I got plenty of physical deteriorating pains nowadays....

but I do feel kinda like a fish outta water around here. Wish there was an old farts corner. Not that our lonely angst is any more painful or relevant, I certainly don't feel that way.....it's just the debilitating effects of isolation, being totally alone when approaching old age is really harsh. Most of the younger people have at least parents or siblings alive, whether they wish to avail themselves of their familial support systems or not. Never had siblings and my parents are now gone, this is it, just me...and when you are alone, you are in bad company so they say......I'm trying like hell to revamp that thought and accept this unacceptable situation, somehow come to terms with the fact that alone doesn't have to mean totally worthless, totally invisible. I am just tuckered out trying to connect, make friends, all the effort and drama to try to fit into other's lives...most people at age 60 have their support systems in place, families and life long friends. Circumstances beyond my control transplanted me from one geographical location to this one and starting a life all over again has proven to be impossible. Now I have to adjust my thought processes and try not to let depression over take me. Hopefully this is possible.

I'm sorry to hear that, Deirdre :(

I'll be honest. One of my biggest fears is having no friends and no partner by the time I am old. I would likely still have siblings as I am the oldest, but it's pretty likely I will have transplanted for a job long before then.

Aren't there ways for seniors to socialize? Around here I know a lot of older people volunteer at the thrift stores and the food bank. And I see lots of advertisements for things like senior luncheons and social get-togethers.

LOL.....I'm not old enough to hang out with the medicare crowd yet. I'm sixty, my town's senior center consider's 62 as the participatory age...most towns around here do too.... sometimes the director isn't around and I sneak in to do jigsaw puzzles...plus I tried learning to play bridge, hated it. didn't like the chair yoga and couldn't afford the many trips they take all the time....plus there wasn't anyone under the age of 75..... I'm just saying, age 60 isn't quite dead yet and most people my age are still doing active stuff with friends and family and don't go to the senior center. I have just been totally unsuccessful in hooking up with people. Tried poetry groups, readings, volunteering all over the place... when I had a job and money I took courses or classes or tried meetup.com...nothing has clicked. I'm tired of beating my head against a wall.... that's all.

So, voila, here I am because hopefully I will get through the joyous entirely annoying holiday season with some shards of sanity left with the help and support of this website.

Brian said:
I'm sorry to hear that, Deirdre :(

I'll be honest. One of my biggest fears is having no friends and no partner by the time I am old. I would likely still have siblings as I am the oldest, but it's pretty likely I will have transplanted for a job long before then.

Aren't there ways for seniors to socialize? Around here I know a lot of older people volunteer at the thrift stores and the food bank. And I see lots of advertisements for things like senior luncheons and social get-togethers.

deirdre said:
the effluvium that tripped us time and time again and taking it into us, crafting it as part of us and finally getting to a place where people may stop and stare, but who the heck cares at this stage? We've earned the right to be eccentric and fully us, warts and all.

true, once you reach a certain point, you do just stop caring about your eccentricities. like you said, ive earned them. lol

im really sorry about your situation, though. what do you do during the day to keep busy?

not much. i go the library and get dvd's and books. i overeat continuously....my drug of choice ..... I do not do well with no routine, I'm one of those people that just is not self motivated, I need the structure of a job, a work day, to keep me on track and well scheduled. Like I said, I have tried myriads of activities and ploys to get me out into the world. Nothing seemed to click...now that I am really destitute and am dumpster diving for food, there is very little I can do if it does not encompass what I can handle on my bicycle. (no gas in the car now either)

I was really lucky for the past two whole months, I was able to volunteer at a local art project, it was a mural on 5 concrete pipes, they guy kept nagging me to come, and I finally dragged myself over there and who knew? I was really pretty good. I turned out some pretty nice work. Never painted a thing before in my life. All of a sudden I felt alive again. Self esteem was inching off the zero, people were asking for my card and supposedly wanted me to do their portraits, do something on their child's bedroom wall ( none of them came to pass, people are all hot air), but I am really proud of what I accomplished.... it's over now and I have no money for paint and brushes and canvases or I would be painting right now, it was so great while it lasted though. I almost felt human again. I'll see if I can post something I painted as my avatar.

heretostay said:
deirdre said:
the effluvium that tripped us time and time again and taking it into us, crafting it as part of us and finally getting to a place where people may stop and stare, but who the heck cares at this stage? We've earned the right to be eccentric and fully us, warts and all.

true, once you reach a certain point, you do just stop caring about your eccentricities. like you said, ive earned them. lol

im really sorry about your situation, though. what do you do during the day to keep busy?

well, no can do with the avatar pic...apparently my pictures are too big to download. sorry.... I really was very proud of them

Effexor, im on 225 mg a day now. its my wonder drug. would not be here if it wasn't for that pill. had my dosage increased recently and i've never felt so content in my entire life. problems now buzz past me instead of bothering me, my energy levels have increased tremendously. i'm now clear headed and escaped the black cloud, well for now i have anyway. no doubt one day it will return unless i analyse myself and cut out the core of my depression. i'm getting there day by day.

Latest posts

Back