Ghosts

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batman55

Reaction score
What do you folks think?

Anyone seen a ghost? Anyone have any other paranormal experiences?

I don't mind skeptics, but I do ask that you don't ruin the thread. A small favor to ask, really.

1. Once years ago when my parents were alive, mum and I were sitting in the kitchen and dad was downtown. At one point we heard the front door being opened and dad walk up the hall towards the kitchen whistling (he had distinctive footsteps and there was noone else in the family anyway) . I opened the door to the hall but there was noone there. Dad came home twenty minutes later and when we said we had heard him arrive 20 mins. earlier, he said he had still been downtown at that time.
2. I worked for just over a year as a hospital cleaner in the late 1980's. There were four small rooms at the end of the ward for patients who were dying. One day a patient died and a couple of hours later I was walking past the room and I saw (through the little window into the room) a nun walking across the room, which was lit by what looked like candlelight. I assumed a new patient had been admitted and opened the door to see if s/he wanted a drink. The room was pitch dark and empty.

Never witnessed one and I'm not sure about believing it but I find it interesting.

I was a skeptic.

Key word: Was.

I've seen/heard some unexplained things. My dog can vouch for it... One night (living at parent's place back then), the dog and I were chilling downstairs in the basement. Parents were gone for 3 days out of town. So, naturally as I always do, I mad sure the doors were locked (and windows, because y'know, I'm paranoid like that!).

Then I heard the back door open (it squeaks...), then close. Then the sound of heavy boots walking across the floor. I would have thought I was hearing things but in fact it was the dog who heard it first... She awoke from a dead sleep, her ears perked right up and she watched the area where the stairs were, listening to exactly what I was hearing. We slowly, and quietly, walked up the stairs, pausing now and then to listen. When we made it up stairs to the kitchen, I grabbed a knife and checked the back door; it was closed and locked. The front door was closed and locked. The windows were closed and locked. I checked each room, each closet and each hiding place a person could fit in - nothing. I sure as Hell didn't sleep that night... And since then if I do not have a dog with me, while alone at night I will not sleep. If I do "nap" I have a knife readily at hand.

Dear Tina,

That's very interesting.

About the incident in the hospital, just how sure are you that you actually saw the candle-lit person? And when you told your co-workers, what did they think?

A ghost thread! :)

Boy, could I tell you stories about this house that I live in alone! A lot of stuff has happened to various people that have lived here - me and my sisters, but also other tenants (interestingly, come to think of it, the reports have always come from the "younger" generation). Let me explain that this is an apartment house (5 apartments, a small one) that my parents & grandparents built. My family has lived here ever since. At this point I live in a different apartment from my parents (obviously), and my youngest sister & her husband live in the apartment next to me, we share a living room wall.
My sister has been telling me for several years of incidents very, very similar to that of Tiina (#1) and Senamian. Quite frequently actually she "hears" her husband come home from work, even "heard" his voice downstairs, just to find he wasn't actually home yet, but would arrive not too long after.
The most remarkable story she told me was this: She had washed the dishes and put everything away (in the kitchen) and was in some other room with her husband. Suddenly they both heard a noise of silverware being stirred, coming from the kitchen. When she went to look later, she found that all the silverware had been moved ("had moved"??) in its drawer and wasn't anything like what she'd left it earlier.

I'm just glad I didn't move into *that* apartment. lol :p

I live a fairly "undisturbed" life in mine, although minor things have happened. Like one morning, I was bending over the sink washing my face, and suddenly a sensation as if someone was touching my hip - and not just lightly! It startled me so much, I seriously slapped at whatever it was, soaking my whole left pants leg with water :) It was creepy as hell!
Very often, I will see movement from the corner of my eye. Admittedly, most of the time that's probably just dust fuzzies swirling through the room and catching the light. Other times, it stops me dead in my tracks so violently, it makes me look twice.

The apartment right under the roof, that's where my parents still live and where I and my sisters grew up..... Things happened to us through our childhood there, too. Catching a movement in the mirror, as if someone was walking down the hallway, but of course no one was there. One night when I was a child, I was laying in bed waiting to sleep, when again there was a sensation of someone lightly touching me. No one there. And on and on.

I've spoken to many people about this topic, and I'm always amazed at how many of them also have a story to tell!

My ex boyfriend told CRAZY stories, of fiery eyes in the dark. Or of a giant King Kong-like hand coming up from behind the couch, shoving it all across the room - when he went into that room the next day, the couch actually had moved - not all across the room, but enough to notice!
Now that is creepy! For me, except for the thing with someone touching my hip, the incidents remain rather unthreatening, thank goodness. I hope I didn't just jinx myself by saying this - I hope no one's looking over my shoulder reading this :)

Thanks for your reply, Ms. Moon. I was hoping for this thread to be filled with stories of the paranormal, it didn't turn out that way, but your addition here hits the spot nicely.

I'm always wondering when or if there will ever be a good explanation for these phenomena. For all those things that can be seen or heard, but never adequately documented. The most ideal explanation for ghostly apparitions, at least, is it could be proof of an existence beyond death. The most troubling explanation for paranormal events is that the fragility of the human psyche, the unreliability of memory, and simple stress combine to explain all of it.

Batman55 said:
Thanks for your reply, Ms. Moon. I was hoping for this thread to be filled with stories of the paranormal, it didn't turn out that way, but your addition here hits the spot nicely.

It can still happen! I'd certainly LOVE to read more about this!
Do YOU have any stories to tell, Super- err, Batman?

Batman55 said:
I'm always wondering when or if there will ever be a good explanation for these phenomena. For all those things that can be seen or heard, but never adequately documented. The most ideal explanation for ghostly apparitions, at least, is it could be proof of an existence beyond death. The most troubling explanation for paranormal events is that the fragility of the human psyche, the unreliability of memory, and simple stress combine to explain all of it.

I also had a few interesting dreams of my grandfather and a couple (ahem) celebrities after they passed away, almost like a message. They weren't people that I was especially crazy about, which made it a bit more "serious" in my opinion.
A friend of mine had a similar experience after someone else died. And, she swears her uncle visited her after he passed away.
Interesting stuff, really.

daughter of the moon said:
It can still happen! I'd certainly LOVE to read more about this!
Do YOU have any stories to tell, Super- err, Batman?

I wish! I'm still waiting to experience something definitively "supernatural"... my patience is getting thin!

Batman55 said:
I wish! I'm still waiting to experience something definitively "supernatural"... my patience is getting thin!

While I can understand that, and although I said the majority of my experiences haven't felt threatening, I think I'd rather trade with you. I'd be happy to give you mine (except for my grandfather dream) and in return never have experienced anything at all.

Hi,
I've had a few odd experiences, most notably in the cemetery where I used to work as a volunteer. It's a historic cemetery, owned by the city and mostly from the Gold Rush era. It's a truly amazing and beautiful Victorian era cemetery, lots of amazing plants and rare roses. But I digress.

There are a few massive granite mausoleums and one of them a few times I could have sworn I've seen out of the corner of my eye something or someone walking behind. Of course, when I looked, nothing.

One time I was walking up a path in broad daylight, clear blue sky and looked up to see a white mist about 20-30 feet up in the air in the trees. I was walking with another volunteer but said nothing because I figured I was just seeing things.

I don't believe in the paranormal or life after death :)
I'm sure there are some interesting explanations for things we can't currently explain though :)

-Teresa

Two years I moved into a house for only one month, it could have been that it was very noisy and i never slept properly, but every single night when half awake i saw always the same completely different furniture in the house, always in the same place, and twice i had a scary dream of this fat guy with half his face burned, sitting in the (imaginary) armchair. I was quite glad to move out, and not just because of the noise.

When I was growing up I always felt like someone was there in the house, only that one house, and it must have been some really bad aura or whatever because all the people who moved into the house went mad (seriously! there were records up to three previous owners/renters, one killed himself, another one went mad, another one depressed, my father was depressed too, the lady downstairs had depression as well). That's all I guess, it doesn't prove anything. I don't believe in anything I don't see by myself, but I do hope to see as little as possible of these things.

SofiasMami said:
I'm sure there are some interesting explanations for things we can't currently explain though :)

-Teresa

If you don't believe in the paranormal or life after death, then you better make sure you acquire all the success and life goals you've set for yourself, otherwise you might end up switching sides at some point :p I guess that's a little beside the point, though... :rolleyes2:

Peaches said:
Two years I moved into a house for only one month, it could have been that it was very noisy and i never slept properly, but every single night when half awake i saw always the same completely different furniture in the house, always in the same place, and twice i had a scary dream of this fat guy with half his face burned, sitting in the (imaginary) armchair. I was quite glad to move out, and not just because of the noise.

When I was growing up I always felt like someone was there in the house, only that one house, and it must have been some really bad aura or whatever because all the people who moved into the house went mad (seriously! there were records up to three previous owners/renters, one killed himself, another one went mad, another one depressed, my father was depressed too, the lady downstairs had depression as well). That's all I guess, it doesn't prove anything. I don't believe in anything I don't see by myself, but I do hope to see as little as possible of these things.

Wow. It certainly seems most of the folks here with "potentially paranormal" incidents don't find much pleasant about it. Here I am, thinking "wouldn't it be great" to experience such phenomena, and just now I'm reminded that you should be careful what you wish for... :p

When I was a little girl (about 10 or so), I remember waking up suddenly and seeing a little girl dressed in white standing at the foot of my bed - she was younger than I was, about 4 or so, with blond curly hair and wearing a long white dress. Of course, that frightened the heck out of me and I remember screaming at the top of my lungs and having my dad come rushing into my room to comfort me.

That was my only ghostly experience for many years...until recently....

I walk my son to preschool every morning and I was walking home from dropping off Nigel and I always cut through a car dealership lot - for a few days now, there's been an ambulance parked in the lot, I guess they're working on it or something. Anyway, I looked up and noticed an older man, heavyset, dressed in a black trench-type coat with a Trilby hat on his head walking slowly across the lot and behind the ambulance. As I walked up to it, I fully expected to see him right there, but there was nobody (this was a matter of about 10 seconds or so between me first seeing him and reaching the ambulance) - I thought maybe he'd gotten into one of the other cars in the lot but there were only a handful of cars, all empty, and he would've had to pass behind the ambulance to get to them - I would have seen him. Otherwise, it's just a gravel lot, fenced on 3 sides and nowhere else to go. I can't imagine he got into the ambulance back doors as I would have heard the sound, and there wasn't enough time for him to climb in. There was another lady coming down the hill, opposite to where I was and would have seen this guy too, but judging by the look she gave me (I was totally startled, trying to figure out where this guy went) I don't think she saw anything...very strange experience.

Other than these 2 stories, that's it for ghostly experiences. I do get 'feelings' in some places, sometimes positive, sometimes not, and have a very good sense of intuition and hunches which often prove correct (I knew my sister-in-law was pregnant for weeks before she finally announced it)

Batman55 said:
SofiasMami said:

-Teresa

If you don't believe in the paranormal or life after death, then you better make sure you acquire all the success and life goals you've set for yourself, otherwise you might end up switching sides at some point :p I guess that's a little beside the point, though... :rolleyes2:

Yes, indeed, thank you :) I've already switched sides as I used to believe in ghosts and life after death. That makes it all the more important for me to live a meaningful life, doesn't it :)
Interesting thread, though.

-Teresa

ringwood said:
When I was a little girl (about 10 or so), I remember waking up suddenly and seeing a little girl dressed in white standing at the foot of my bed - she was younger than I was, about 4 or so, with blond curly hair and wearing a long white dress. Of course, that frightened the heck out of me and I remember screaming at the top of my lungs and having my dad come rushing into my room to comfort me.

Freaky for sure. Hard to explain it away easily... the only possibility I can think of is perhaps you were still "half-asleep" when you awoke and this figure was a part of your still-ongoing dream. So I wonder if you have your doubts about the incident, or remain certain that you literally saw this little girl? (I have a willingness to believe and a need to be skeptical, haha)

I also want to say, FWIW, I think there's a good chance this life is a kind of pseudo-Hell, and the best part of existence ("heaven") only comes once we are liberated from the flesh. So I think there's a lot of signs of this next life to be observed--some of them within this very thread!

Yeah, I've thought about the possibility of my being half-asleep and still in a dream state, but the figure of this little girl has remained so vivid in my mind, even after 30 years or so have passed, that I am quite convinced I saw her in real life. And I've nurtured a life-long interest in ghosts/the paranormal, perhaps as a result of this early experience.

Batman55 said:
SofiasMami said:

-Teresa

Peaches said:

Wow. It certainly seems most of the folks here with "potentially paranormal" incidents don't find much pleasant about it. Here I am, thinking "wouldn't it be great" to experience such phenomena, and just now I'm reminded that you should be careful what you wish for... :p

lol, maybe we are just more nervous or watched a huge amount of horror movies (and read too much Lovecraft in high school) , I know I am still paying for that

Batman55 said:
I also want to say, FWIW, I think there's a good chance this life is a kind of pseudo-Hell, and the best part of existence ("heaven") only comes once we are liberated from the flesh. So I think there's a lot of signs of this next life to be observed--some of them within this very thread!

I'd be interested if you cared to elaborate on that a little bit :) Especially the part about "signs"? Like, do you have a specific vision of what that next life may be like?

Latest posts

Back