Great answers

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think part of the problem is that your answer doesn't sound that unique to you, it is something anyone can say. When I'm asked that question I often respond by telling then about my creative ambitions with music. It gives them more of an idea of who I am and tells thrm I'm passionate about.

For what it's worth, I've always got the feeling they were impressed by this answer.

M_also_lonely said:
Why? Is helping them is so embarrassing thing?
As 9006 explained, it's simply about giving them answers related to the job. It's not about being an embarrassing answer.
That's what they are looking to hear. It's simply topical relevance.
If you put out an answer unrelated to the job they don't really see it as a true answer. They see you being unable to fully comprehend the situation you're in and putting out whatever answer came to your mind first.

It would be like someone asking "What is 2+2?" and you say "Bubblegum" instead of what is honestly expected. It is not the sort of answer they are looking for. They are asking in the context of math so they want a mathematical answer.
Even if you could somehow explain how "2+2 equals bubblegum" they probably wouldn't care at all, and would probably just think your answer is funny/outrageous.

In other words, you need to stick to the topic and not give them answers that aren't relevant to the thing they are discussing, whether it's a job or club membership or whatever else.
For example, if you're trying to become a member of a boating club and they ask you "What do you see yourself doing in 5 years?" don't talk about your plans to become a doctor or get rich or cure cancer or the like. You'd come up with an answer related to boating, like "I hope to be cruising around some beautiful islands" or whatever. Even if it's not really what you'd expect to be doing in 5 years. It's just what they want to hear. It shows them dedication and excitement for their program.
Now, if the job you were applying for was to help the poor, you can definitely give that answer about helping the poor because it would be relevant. But hopefully you'd elaborate a little more, as I explained earlier, because people will be wanting to hear 'ideas', not just desires.

Latest posts

Back