Have the desire to confide, but feel uncomfortable doing so.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlayerHendrix

Reaction score
So yeah, as the title says, I feel that I do want to "open up" to others, but everytime any such oppurtunity should arise, I back out.

I get very anxious and vexed whenever I do confide in others. I always get the feeling that although they are not saying anything hurtful, they are thinking it, even if it were just a fleeting thought in their minds saying that "Im weak" or "whiny", it would still disturb me to a great extent, and I would worry that their perception of me would change negatively.

It really frustrates me, as I know that telling others how I feel (when it was welcome of course) would help me a lot, and it would stop me from bottling anything up which I do all the time. It would also strengthen bonds and such.

So yeah, I suppose I am taking the first step by venting here anonymously on a forum, and I thank you if you have read this :)

No problem slayer, it's always good to have somewhere or someone to vent to :)

Hi Slayer,
i can relate to so much of what you said. When i was growing up my mom used to tell me not to show my weak side and to not confide in people, because they will end up using it against me. Now i know she was badly hurt, but as a child i though this was thee way to be. i blew up 16-32 and 38.
I still have problems talking to people, but i do vent here freely, because only those who want to read it will. I'm not boring anyone with my stories. I also had a psychologist for years, omg, it did take a while before he figured me out and got me to open up, but it was so helpfull.

I'm glad you are opening up, it keeps us healthy :)

Thanks guys! And you're right about how venting does keep us sane Whispers :) My mother was taught the same thing you were, she ignored and bottled up her emotions all her life up until a couple of years ago when she erupted into a suicidal depression. So I guess I really do not want to make the same mistakes of compartmentalizing my emotions, and neither should anyone else! Thanks again.

I've opened up to some people. A few times it bit my in the ass but not all the time. I guess you really have to get to know the people around you.

I feel the same way. Want to confide in someone but just can't do it. Afraid of what people would say/think

How do you get close to people if you don't confide in them?
Yes, I feel the same sometimes, it's scary, but surely it's worth it in the end. :)

Latest posts

Back