Have your opinions changed?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How serious of a change do you want? :p

I used to be into Power Rangers when I was a kid, then a couple years later, I saw Star Wars, got really into that instead, and have been ever since.

Anyway...

Mr Seal The Albatros said:
I thought if people would ignore me when I was being nice, they would pay attention if I was mean instead.
Looking back on it, I'm glad I changed that part.

I used to feel that way too. I used to feel that being mean was equal to being cool, as it seemed that the most popular, well-liked kids were the meanest and most exclusive. I didn't bully anyone, I was always an outsider. I didn't think I had the physical strength and quickness or the wealthy background to justify having a big ego and picking on people, and furthermore, it just seemed wrong. I didn't understand why anyone wanted to do that, to be so negative, when you could just find things to like instead. But that is how I felt people worked.

I thought everyone was naturally mean and elitist. I didn't really talk to people because I thought everyone was stuck-up. It didn't occur to me that being friendly would increase my chances of reciprocating a friendly reaction.

I used to feel that there were no girls who shared my interests, therefore, I couldn't really connect with them except by trying to trick them into being with me and just bs my way through any interaction instead of really trying to have a conversation. That's how I thought dating worked.

I used to think that my interests were "wrong", that being a "nerd" meant there was something wrong with me and it was my rightful place to have low status and I should just be thankful I wasn't disabled or something. I remember once I was carrying my Star Wars roleplaying game books to a friend's house when I saw one of my running teammates (a very popular and social guy) who said hi, and I think I mumbled something and quickly turned down a sidestreet. I used to think there was something wrong with me that I was grown-up but still wanted to play with LEGOs or things like that. Thankfully I don't think there is anything wrong with my interests anymore.

I used to not stand up for myself because I didn't think I could fight and win against whoever was bothering me. I thought fighting, even when I was right to do so because it was self-defense, would mean I was "bad" and I didn't want to be "bad" because I thought "bad" people would go down the drain in life, towards poverty, addiction, and so on and I didn't want to be like that. Also I enjoyed being friendly with most people and didn't want to lose that. Now I feel that while you should always stand up for yourself and sometimes it might include fighting, I mostly think fighting isn't worth it.

I used to think I was just naturally weak, clumsy, shy, ugly, and awkward. Now I don't think that anymore.

I used to not listen to popular music because I thought it was gritty and negative. Then I discovered that was not the case, I discovered Pink Floyd and Red Hot Chili Peppers in my late teens and have been finding new bands I love ever since.

I used to pay attention to politics, then I realized it made me feel weak and overwhelmed and unmotivated because it made me angry about things I couldn't do anything about anyway. Then I stopped paying attention to it because it doesn't do me any good to take on the world's problems, and makes me feel like I can't solve my own.

I used to have a completely straight edge, no drinking, no smoking, no drugs mindset because much like the fighting, I thought it almost always led to addiction and poverty. Then I kinda got into drinking and marijuana for a little while, partially because I thought it would remove my inhibitions and creative blocks, and partially because I thought the future was just going to suck anyway so there was nothing to look forward to. Since then I have changed again, and while I still drink moderately, I no longer smoke anything. I think it's unhealthy and kinda gross.

I used to think people's futures were fixed based on genetics and dumb luck, now I don't think that as much. I'm trying to get rid of that belief because it keeps me from doing my best.

I used to think that it would be enough for me to just spend my life working and playing video games, because I didn't believe I was capable of more than that. I figured, at least I'd be safe. Then I discovered other interests I didn't have before. I don't think there is anything wrong with video games, but it's just not the only thing I want to do with my life anymore.

Well, I will forever be into Power Rangers...

Over the last year, I have really been able to see the other sides of my situation. And I have had many changes in opinion. I've probably done more growing up in the last year than I did my entire teenage life lol.

Although I haven't changed much as a person, my opinions are totally different. As a kid I was highly supportive of achievers and admired those who used ruthless Machiavellian manipulation for other people's own good :p . Now I despise such people and consider them the cause of all of the world's problems.

I was also a strong proponent of social engineering because I believed the human species could deliberately be made better. Now I believe the following: "When you try to play God, you only end up finding out you ain't."

AmytheTemperamental said:
Well, I will forever be into Power Rangers...

Not to get too off-topic, but which was your favorite? I liked seasons 1 and 2, where they had the Dino-Zords, the Dragonzord, and the mystical animal ones like the thunderzords, I think they were called. My favorite was the Red Ranger. Which was yours?

TheSkaFish said:
My favorite was the Red Ranger. Which was yours?

I dressed as the Pink Ranger for Halloween once when I was a kid. I mostly liked her because the pterodactyl was my favorite dinosaur. =] I loved jumping around pretending to morph and shouting "Pterodactyl!!"

Latest posts

Back