help me please

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleS732

Reaction score
I don't even know where to begin. I have issues with everything. loneliness, depression, social problems, shyness, and low self esteem. I've cried every single night for the past year and a half, right after my 18th birthday. I'm 19 now and I still haven't had my first girlfriend yet, or even my first kiss. I want to start going out and making friends and eventually get a girlfriend but I have no idea how. People have caused me so much pain over the years from bullying. I was bullied almost every day when I went to school and a lot of the times it was the girls bullying me. Because of that I have major trust issues with people. Every time I go out whether its getting groceries or going out to eat whenever I come near a woman my anxiety goes through the roof.

I've kept to myself for so long now that being alone is the only thing I know. I need to know how to overcome all my issues. How do I make friends and get a girlfriend? I just cant take being alone anymore. I'm on the edge of breaking

(hug) (from a stranger, I know, but whatever)
You begin from the beginning.You can do it. But you must begin from the beginning. It sounds like my things in your life are out of place, and also that you are a smart person who is aware of what the problems might be (not everyone is there since the start). You can make a list, like you already did, of the issues that cause you pain and one at the time try to address them. You can make a list of things that could make you feel better and go for it. Social anxiety can be overcome little by little.
Women anxiety is another thing, but that also can go away. So sorry about your bullying experience, girls and women are two very different things. Also girls in school and girls in college or whatever. Also, ******** have no gender. Find a support group or a counsellor. Find websites and books. You can do it. You don't even have to believe that you can do it, just go one step after the other on your list. Seriously. No one can take action but you on this. If you do, good things will happen and only them. I hope this is not too direct but I don't know how else to explain. There are hundreds of self help books that can explain this much better :) but you totally can.

The only difference between us is that I am 20 and you are 19. I have never seen anyone having problems EXACTLY like me. And when I tell anyone about it, they wont believe it. They say,"Seriously, nobody?" or "Seriously, never????" I feel the same as you do, and all of my different problems direct towards a single problem, the one you are mentioning here. Loneliness. Which is probably caused by shyness, which is caused by lack of love/companionship. Which causes social problems, which cause depression. And we cant understand how the world is working, or whatt the fresia is happening to us and the world.

Like, some guy, who is rude has so many friends. We, who probably arent rude have nobody to talk with. So we decide to try being rude, so that it MAY give us a friend or two. But as we do, the world is upon us and all of them say,"How rude of him"
Then all we can do is to look at their posted photos and the gurl we've liked for so many years but havent told about it just because she has a great/smart/handsome person as her boyfriend or she is too good for us. Isnt it?

KyleS732 said:
I need to know how to overcome all my issues.
One at a time, or all at once. That's how.

KyleS732 said:
How do I make friends and get a girlfriend?
You go up and just start talking to people about stuff.
Friends/Girlfriends are when they enjoy talking to you. So before they go, if the conversation has been pleasant enough, you ask them if they 'would like to chat again sometime' and get some info from them to make that possible.

And yes, I mean literally walking up to and talking to strangers. Out of nowhere. For no reason at all.

You don't make friends/girlfriends by keeping to yourself or being afraid. Communication is necessary, and that does mean taking a risk that you might be rejected. But without risk there is no reward. The more you risk, the greater chances of that reward.

KyleS732 said:
I just cant take being alone anymore. I'm on the edge of breaking
In my experience it seems that what some people need to do is just break.
Just let things go, stop restricting themselves, and just stop being afraid.

Just break. Fall into pieces. Crumble.
Know there is nothing left.
... Then build yourself up again, from nothing.

When people speak of breaking, they often mean to say they want to kill themselves. But it isn't that they want death for themselves, but simply want the person who they are now to die.
And sometimes that is what must happen, if they are to be reborn as the person they want to be.
Suicide is simply not an answer to anything. But sometimes we do need to kill who we are as an individual in order to save the life that is being held captive by this individual.

Do you understand what I mean?
Not to break and fall apart with pointless actions like hurting ourselves or trying to commit suicide, but to simply believe that who we are is dead and that there is now nothing that can hold us back from our freedom. To separate ourselves from our past so that there is a future. To murder our captor, destroy him completely, and venture out of the cave we have been held into the blinding light. To accept all of our fear, but to overcome it completely.

It means to break away from the fear that binds us together, to fall apart and simply accept that we do not know what truth is and we do not have any answers for ourselves, and to then embrace and accept that we are walking blindly. Walking straight and true. Not with courage, but simply without fear. To simply stop believing in anything, because it is those beliefs that created us, and those beliefs that killed us.

Sometimes we, as individuals, need to break.
Once the dam cracks, it's only a matter of time before it goes. So we have a choice, wait and take the chance that it might happen when we are unprepared for it, or to simply accept the inevitable and to prepare now for the flood that will be unleashed by our own hand.

You have that choice. You have that power. Your weakness can be your greatest strength.

... Or maybe all of this is just utter nonsense, and I'm the only one who can make any sense of it. Maybe no one should ever listen to me. I'm not even sure I really care anymore. I don't claim to be perfect or wise. I am just me.

But if all you really want is a girlfriend... Just start chasing girls. Let the dam break another time.
Go up and chat with them, for no other reason than because you want to. You'll get turned down a lot, but that's just life. Eventually, and what will give you strength to carry forward, is that eventually one of these girls will like your company.

Don't ask what to talk about, either. You just talk. It doesn't matter what you talk about. You just talk. Shut your brain off for a while and just let your mouth speak.

Despicable Me said:
Don't ask what to talk about, either. You just talk. It doesn't matter what you talk about. You just talk. Shut your brain off for a while and just let your mouth speak.

Doesnt work. I tried a lot. When I am infront of a girl, I am just plain, blank. No matter what. No words come out. There is no girl I have talked who hasnt either blocked/insulted/ignored me. Most of them ending with them behaving rudely with me for no reason or the reason that I am boring which they clearly tell me.

M_also_lonely said:
Doesnt work. I tried a lot. When I am infront of a girl, I am just plain, blank. No matter what. No words come out. There is no girl I have talked who hasnt either blocked/insulted/ignored me. Most of them ending with them behaving rudely with me for no reason or the reason that I am boring which they clearly tell me.
If nothing comes out then you're letting the fear speak for you.
As I said, just shut off your brain and let your mouth speak. You don't need to know what to say. You will just say it. And if that leads to them being rude, you're better off not knowing them because they're a rude person anyway.
Everyone is different. You could say the exact same things to a hundred different people and 99 of them might react the same way, but it's that one who doesn't that you want. The one who makes it all worthwhile.

Edited - Let me put it another way. From my perspective there are two things which create silence: Fear and Intelligence. If you don't feel that your silence is due to intelligence, then know that it is nothing but fear that holds you back. Nothing but yourself.
If you do feel that it is intelligence, know that it is often intelligence that causes us to create our fears, because this teaches us how to survive. So know only that sometimes you simply just need to be a little dumb. Don't think, just do. Be irrational. Worry about consequences later.
This is why ignorant people are often the ones who talk the most. It is natural for them to do so. As well as why its often hard to find people who speak and say great things.

KyleS732 said:
I need to know how to overcome all my issues.

Hey Kyle, very sorry to hear about your troubles, but am glad you decided to reach out and ask for some help.

I'll give you my advice, but it's just my humble opinion. But I think it's a good option tho ;)

Fake it. Play a role. Pretend you're an actor and you're playing the role of being confident. Actually, pretend you're a method actor.. feel the role. Feel the confidence, the boldness, the indifference of how others might view you. Then talk to people. Doesn't even matter who it is. Could be a 90 year old lady (or man) crossing the street. Say "Hi" to everyone you cross paths with. Chat up the clerk when at the store. Doesn't matter. Just play your role and don't care who you talk to... as you're just practicing your craft anyway.

If you do this, I'll tell you what will happen. Some people will be nice, and this will make you feel good. Some people won't even answer you, or will look at you odd.. and it will make you feel like crap. Like you want to shrink and crawl under a rock. But simply go "oh well" and don't think about those occasions at all. It's not a failure on your part anyway, they are the ones with the issue. Just think of the positive, and your craft of acting like you are confident and talkative.

If you can keep this up, you'll find something very interesting.. you actually WILL become more confident. You WILL become more talkative.

Oh, also, when you are crossing paths with these people... think of something positive about them. Doesn't matter who they are.. look at them and find something positive to appreciate about them. It takes positivity to receive it. And it can't be exclusive, it needs to be universal.

Anyway, my two cents!

M_also_lonely said:
There is no girl I have talked who hasnt either blocked/insulted/ignored me. Most of them ending with them behaving rudely with me for no reason or the reason that I am boring which they clearly tell me.

That's horrible. I never understood girls who behaved that way. Just know that we are not all like that. The only guys that approach me are usually drunk but I'm still polite to them even if their dribbling drunkenness makes me feel a bit queasy.

Minty said:
girls who behaved that way.
are there girls too who dont behave that way? I think their behavior changes depending on the type of person they meet.
Minty said:
usually drunk but I'm still polite to them even if their dribbling drunkenness makes me feel a bit queasy.
Yeah, all the girls do. Maybe getting drunk would help me...

KyleS732 said:
I don't even know where to begin. I have issues with everything. loneliness, depression, social problems, shyness, and low self esteem. I've cried every single night for the past year and a half, right after my 18th birthday. I'm 19 now and I still haven't had my first girlfriend yet, or even my first kiss. I want to start going out and making friends and eventually get a girlfriend but I have no idea how. People have caused me so much pain over the years from bullying. I was bullied almost every day when I went to school and a lot of the times it was the girls bullying me. Because of that I have major trust issues with people. Every time I go out whether its getting groceries or going out to eat whenever I come near a woman my anxiety goes through the roof.

I've kept to myself for so long now that being alone is the only thing I know. I need to know how to overcome all my issues. How do I make friends and get a girlfriend? I just cant take being alone anymore. I'm on the edge of breaking

I would forget all about finding a girlfriend. That should come much later on. I was like you 20 odd years ago. What helped me was getting a job in retail. Dealing with the public. It was scary as hell at first but I soon got used to it. If you can't find a job, do some voluntary work. You need to be talking to people, mixing with them, developing a personality and some self worth. Not staying in by yourself. Good luck !

Kyle, what interests do you have? Maybe you need something you can develop that will give you pride in yourself.

Latest posts

Back