Holiday Loneliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonelyGuyinSTL

Reaction score
Christmas is quickly approaching and I'm dreading the next couple of days. Does anyone else feel like giving up this time of year? I am wondering why I should keep going on.
Does life suck, or is it just my life that sucks?

Hi-
Christmas is tough for a lot of people. A lot of people think that everyone else is living a Norman Rockwell-type holiday but that only happens in the movies. I've spent some Christmases completely alone and others were the best ever. When I was alone, I tried to keep myself busy and distracted. Even now, I don't have family around except for my daughter and her dad's relatives. So we'll probably go bowling and to a Chinese buffet on Christmas or something. You'll get through it, my friend.
Welcome to the forum!

Teresa

Welcome LonelyGuy!

The holidays make me sad too so you are not alone in that regard. I have my own reasons for wanting to give up, but if you are only thinking of giving up around the holidays, then it seems like you can tolerate the rest of the year. Is there anything aside from the obvious about the holidays that triggers your reaction? If you have reasons for not giving up otherwise then try to focus on that. Yes, the holidays may be sad, but they do not last forever (and are relatively short)

Unfortunately, it's not just the holildays when I feel like giving up. However, the holidays do make matters worse. I'm trying to stay busy, but unfortunately, I usually end up in a bar, which of course, only makes matters worse.

LonelyGuyinSTL said:
Christmas is quickly approaching and I'm dreading the next couple of days. Does anyone else feel like giving up this time of year? I am wondering why I should keep going on.
Does life suck, or is it just my life that sucks?

Hi there -- Try living in the moment and take one day at a time. Regarding the trials and tribulations for some of us during the holiday season, check out this thread and please join us on XMAS day. Life doesn't suck, but not everyday is guaranteed to be a bowl of cherries. The trick is to forge ahead and keep a cheery attitude! LG:)

I'm going to be alone on Christmas. I have next to no family nor friends that care about me, let alone love me.

I will be spending this Christmas alone because I don't get on very well with certain members of my family, so I try to treat it as just another day.

Blue Sky said:
I will be spending this Christmas alone because I don't get on very well with certain members of my family, so I try to treat it as just another day.

Blue Sky -- New Year's, too. OMG! LG:)

yea this time of year does fell especially lonely. for me its not only christmas but my birthday is christmas eve, technically its been my birthday for like 40 mins now. i get the little family dinner and cake thing but thats it. i dont have any people around that i talk to regularly enough to where i would get a party or anything. i never go out and do anything. i used to always end up working on my birthday but i request off now. it doesnt matter though because by like 10pm i will be home alone anyway.

LGH1288 said:
Blue Sky said:

Yes, I don't celebrate New Years either, I just stay at home and try not to think about it.

edgecrusher said:
yea this time of year does fell especially lonely. for me its not only christmas but my birthday is christmas eve, technically its been my birthday for like 40 mins now. i get the little family dinner and cake thing but thats it. i dont have any people around that i talk to regularly enough to where i would get a party or anything. i never go out and do anything. i used to always end up working on my birthday but i request off now. it doesnt matter though because by like 10pm i will be home alone anyway.

Hey Edge -- I'd like to wish you a very special "HAPPY BIRTHDAY". Best, LG:)

Blue Sky said:
LGH1288 said:
Blue Sky said:

Yes, I don't celebrate New Years either, I just stay at home and try not to think about it.

So, we'll "ALL" be hanging with each other during the holiday season! LG:)

Yes.. I think your definitely not alone in this.. it sucks.. I know that not everyone would like to do this but I find that keeping yourself as busy as possible helps, even though Christmas is supposed to be a time to have a good time and relax, its hard to relax when your feeling this way..

Latest posts

Back