Holidays

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiddenHydey

Reaction score
UK, somewhere in the south west peninsula
I know this will show my age but still...

Are they not the single most depressing time of the year? THey combine 2 of my most favourite of things; time with your judgemental family, and that feeling of complete inertness that comes with a lack of purpose.

So I ge 2 weeks off. I spend maybe 1 week thinking about working (evidense is later produced that would lead to one drawing the conclusion that staring at work in fact does not get it done), maybe 3 days actually working and the rest of the time being dragged round relatives (because as my mother tells me: "It's not like you were actually going to do anything).

So I get to meet some people
Uncle 1: Why do you worry about school work like an idiot, all the real money is being made by mechanics and plumbers?

Uncle 2:Your grades are quite good. Keep this up and you might get into a half descent university but you'll need to improve to get anywhere really good.

Uncle 3:Why do you have no social life (Actual Dialogue: "If someone as awkward as me could get a girlfriend what's your excuse?")

Great Uncle: You need to pick your career now or your life will be wasted on something pointless and unfufilling.

So I was just wondering if anyone else found holidays/time off/time with family so much of a downer?

I don't really spend time with relatives during the holidays. I'm guessing most of the lonely folk here don't. :D

But if it really bothers you, you have no obligation to see them. Your mother can't force you to visit your obnoxious relatives.

Matt said:
But if it really bothers you, you have no obligation to see them. Your mother can't force you to visit your obnoxious relatives.

I don't know about that. This person is apparently sub-college level. I'm guessing high school (no telling what level) and under mother's roof. She probably could apply force... :D

Pfft, as long as you're physically stronger, I can't see how your mother could have have control over you, especially regarding such a trivial matter as familial sociability.

Matt said:
Pfft, as long as you're physically stronger, I can't see how your mother could have have control over you
strength/size has nothing 2 do w/a mom having control over her kid Lmao...... absolutely nothing at all :rolleyes:

Holidays can be tough if you don't have anyone to spend them with or if you do , like your family, and they have no respect for you.

I've been in your situation before with one of my uncles. The only one that could change this was me. I finally stuck up for myself and told him that he was stepping over my boundaries. I told him I didn't care to talk about the subject with him and I'd be glad to talk about something else. He was taken aback. He respected me after that and never talked to me like that ever again.

Sometimes we have to realize that we are giving our power away to others we are saying it's alright by not saying or doing anything about it. Or sometimes we are to quick to react to others and we let it get to us. It's all about owning your self. Respecting yourself.

Things keep on happening for a reason .You can change it if you want to. Or you can avoid the situation entirely by not going to visit them.
Do what's best for you. Take care of yourself no matter what.

Latest posts

Back