How About Internet Cafe's?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
Noticing that some members have posted asking where a good place is to make friends and even a girlfriend. My apologies if this idea has already been suggested, but why not try "Internet Cafe's if you haven't already. Just a thought.:)

I think its hard for guys because if one randomly spoke to me anywhere I think I'd instantly think "nutter". Plus the amount of times I've heard girls talk about some "nutter" on a train or somewhere. Or I only get "nutters" talking to me...though EVERY girl seems to say this.

Just an observation.

annik said:
I think its hard for guys because if one randomly spoke to me anywhere I think I'd instantly think "nutter". Plus the amount of times I've heard girls talk about some "nutter" on a train or somewhere. Or I only get "nutters" talking to me...though EVERY girl seems to say this.

Just an observation.
What if they are in that cafe for the same reason you are? The thing is the two of you take a little while to work up the courage to talk. In life, sometimes you have to have a little guts to approach or chat with other people. If you don't risk being embarrassed in the effort to make friends sometimes, you are going to regret it for the rest of your life.

I used to be afraid to talk to people in search of a friend or companion because being nervous was a hell of a lot better than being lonely. I've had my share of people who rejected me, but I'll tell you a secret. The more I tried to make friends, the easier approaching people got. So you will strike out on some situations. fresia it and move on.

Can it be any harder than what you are going through now?

I just think its hard because I think people are wary of strangers who talk to them. Especially if its the opposite sex. I might be wrong but I think I'd also say that girls are even more wary than guys.

I think places like night school or somewhere where you are all a group of strangers is better than public places because if I get asked for more than the time anywhere I think I'd be backing off.

Of course this has a lot to do with how people are individually and to a degree their nationality.

I'm super shy myself.

Do you seriously suggest a place where people go to ignore others and focus on interacting through a monitor with a keyboard and mouse? Horrible venue. In overly modernized countries like the USA where I reside the only acceptable venues to meet strangers tend to be bars and clubs. But the people there tend to be at least social drunks(cannot be at a social gathering without feeling the need that everyone should drink) and entertainment oriented flakes(only good to waste time with, not to count on).

annik said:

Just an observation.

I get this reaction enough from people who do know me haha. I think I'll stick with my do nothing and see what happens approach.

It has worked a couple of times before so who knows?

Maybe it's a bit tougher for people in my shoes though. I've actually had strangers approach and ask, "Is something wrong with you?". I don't think they mean any harm (they ask kindly enough and not with those exact words) but it doesn't help my self-esteem.

Thrasymachus said:
Do you seriously suggest a place where people go to ignore others and focus on interacting through a monitor with a keyboard and mouse? Horrible venue. In overly modernized countries like the USA where I reside the only acceptable venues to meet strangers tend to be bars and clubs. But the people there tend to be at least social drunks(cannot be at a social gathering without feeling the need that everyone should drink) and entertainment oriented flakes(only good to waste time with, not to count on).
What venue would you suggest?:)

LoneKiller said:
Noticing that some members have posted asking where a good place is to make friends and even a girlfriend. My apologies if this idea has already been suggested, but why not try "Internet Cafe's if you haven't already. Just a thought.:)

Quite honestly a where but a bar. People are so guarded and fake at bars its ridiculous. You could approach the same women in a bar and then in the convenience store the next day and get two different reactions.

The best place to meet people is in locations where the pressure of meeting is not so high. Avoid bars, coffee shops, concerts, and such. Anywhere where you would expect to meet people is an awful place to meet people because your not meeting people your meeting everyone but the person standing there because they are trying to hard to be someone else.

The only way I know to meet people is groups/clubs/meetings about activities I like. If I don't share a hobby with someone, I find I'm unable to really click with the person, I run out of things to say (or do) really fast with that person.

I'd never cold-approach someone in an Internet café, and I'd probably back away if someone approached me (though I wouldn't think anything bad about the person that approached me). But I guess it depends on what kind of atmosphere the café has.

Thrasymachus said:

I meet people but never go to bars. I wonder how this works out!

Well, I would also suggest coffee cafes quite a bit. Really, anywhere is fine, so as long as you can interact with the people there. I did once make a very good friend in an university computer lab, if that's any relevance to internet cafes?

IgnoredOne said:
I did once make a very good friend in an university computer lab, if that's any relevance to internet cafes?

I think that would actually be a better place to make a friend, somehow. Atleast, I wouldn't back off in this setting.

hehe, internet cafe's here are internet shops where kids (highschoolers, college, elementary kids) could play lan games such as DOTA, HL. It's a dark room with no proper ventilation, with almost only bright screens lighting the room, plus screaming trash talking kids from basketball game or class. It's a jungle :D

floffyschneeman said:
hehe, internet cafe's here are internet shops where kids (highschoolers, college, elementary kids) could play lan games such as DOTA, HL. It's a dark room with no proper ventilation, with almost only bright screens lighting the room, plus screaming trash talking kids from basketball game or class. It's a jungle :D

Where's that?
I remember some filipinos who talked about how their Internet cafés are huge gaming circles. And some brazilians too, actually. Sounds lively, either way. Definitely not like that here.

Nitramici said:
Where's that?
I remember some filipinos who talked about how their Internet cafés are huge gaming circles. And some brazilians too, actually. Sounds lively, either way. Definitely not like that here.

Originally Internet Cafes were used primarily for computer and console gaming. The term has been given a more generalized meaning to include places such as coffee shops and bookstores mostly.

...Encyclopedia Mode: Off?... @_@??

Nitramici said:
Where's that?

Its like that in China, too, when I visited. There's a strange sense of rowdiness about it all, and it can be a decent place to socialize if you're into gaming and all, but its definitely not for quiet or sedate conversation in my experience.

Nitramici said:
floffyschneeman said:

Where's that?

Yes, I do mean in the Philippines. Fun times though, internet cafe was always my destination after classes way back in college. :D

But definitely not a likely place to meet future dates as most of the people there are minors D:

We've got a few places like that in Belgium aswell, now that I think of it. I can't remember the name of the one in Leuven... but apparently, according to my friends, it was dark and filled with crazy, weedsmoking nerds. It's supposed to be great fun!

Peter Lorre said:
We've got a few places like that in Belgium aswell, now that I think of it. I can't remember the name of the one in Leuven... but apparently, according to my friends, it was dark and filled with crazy, weedsmoking nerds. It's supposed to be great fun!

Ours didn't have weeds but you can order noodles and steamed rice. :D

floffyschneeman said:
Nitramici said:
Where's that?

Yes, I do mean in the Philippines. Fun times though, internet cafe was always my destination after classes way back in college. :D

Woah, I'm surprised I guessed right. Funny.

FunkyBuddha said:
Originally Internet Cafes were used primarily for computer and console gaming. The term has been given a more generalized meaning to include places such as coffee shops and bookstores mostly.

...Encyclopedia Mode: Off?... @_@??[/font]

Really? Nice to know, thanks. :D

Latest posts

Back