How do you Feel about Bluntness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Defining "blunt" as someone telling you what they think even if its something "bad" or somewhat negative.

I do like when people are blunt IF theyre respectful about it, honestly theres some people I know who are that way and I trust them a lot more because I know they dont bullshit.

Of course, there are jackasses who use "being blunt" as an excuse to be rude, and those people are idiots, but theres some people who arent afraid to say something you might not like or want to hear but like I said, if they do so respectfully, I end up trustinf them more.

I myself am considered by many to be about as blunt as a baseball bat, but even then there are still degrees of bluntness. I simply say what I think to those who I believe can handle it, and to those who can't, well, I tend to be less blunt.
It used to be worse though, when I was a bit younger I simply spouted everything that popped into my head, which did lead to some nasty situations..

I like bluntness. I rather be stabbed upfront than in the back, all things considered.

IgnoredOne said:
I like bluntness. I rather be stabbed upfront than in the back, all things considered.

Reminds me of the quote by one of the great Irish poets, Oscar Wilde. "True friends stab you in the front.”
I, however, like to think a point can be made without a painful way of doing it.

Naleena said:
IgnoredOne said:

Reminds me of the quote by one of the great Irish poets, Oscar Wilde.
"True friends stab you in the front.”

"Either the wallpaper goes, or I do." - last words

I have trouble with this when I can't see my words before they're received. There's very little buffer between my mind and my mouth.

At its worst people were warned before meeting me... those were lonely times. :(

I like to think I've softened up though. I've been sought after for advice a lot recently.

I think people can be honest and get down to the facts without being rude. Mean people suck. Bluntness is just an excuse to act out. Might be my personal understanding of the word, but bluntness equals to being an ass in my books. Honesty, on the other hand, is laying down the facts how they are, without omitting or dressing up the truth.

Naleena said:
IgnoredOne said:

Reminds me of the quote by one of the great Irish poets, Oscar Wilde. "True friends stab you in the front.”
I, however, like to think a point can be made without a painful way of doing it.

And here I thought Oscar Wilde was more a fan of getting stabbed in the back. >.>

Limlim said:
Naleena said:
IgnoredOne said:

And here I thought Oscar Wilde was more a fan of getting stabbed in the back. >.>

Repeatedly.

Fvantom said:
Of course, there are jackasses who use "being blunt" as an excuse to be rude....

Yes there are those that feel that they can rationalize any rudeness if they just label it being blunt or being honest.

I am blunt. I just am. I've thought about being nice and sugar-coated, but people can usually tell that I'm just bullshitting them. They get upset. I also get upset with myself because I believe people deserve to know the truth. However, I at least have the common decency to apologize and explain my position to those whom I offend with my bluntness.

I am one sharp shooter, i dont take prisoners

Noun 1. bluntness - the quality of being direct and outspoken; "the bluntness of a Yorkshireman"
inconsiderateness, inconsideration, thoughtlessness - the quality of failing to be considerate of others
2. bluntness - without sharpness or clearness of edge or point; "the dullness of the pencil made his writing illegible"
dullness
obtuseness - the quality of lacking a sharp edge or point
shape, configuration, conformation, contour, form - any spatial attributes (especially as defined by outline); "he could barely make out their shapes"

also known as candid

Definition of CANDID
1: white <candid flames>
2: free from bias, prejudice, or malice : fair <a candid observer>
3a : marked by honest sincere expression <a candid discussion> b : indicating or suggesting sincere honesty and absence of deception <her candid face> c : disposed to criticize severely : blunt <candid critics>
4: relating to or being photography of subjects acting naturally or spontaneously without being posed
— can·did·ly adverb
— can·did·ness noun
See candid defined for English-language learners »
See candid defined for kids »
Examples of CANDID
He was quite candid about his past.
She gave us her candid opinion on the matter.
To be candid, I have wondered whether it is fair to write about a man for whom I cannot help but feel a real distaste. —Jill Lepore, Journal of American History, June 2001

Minus said:
Fvantom said:
Of course, there are jackasses who use "being blunt" as an excuse to be rude....

Yes there are those that feel that they can rationalize any rudeness if they just label it being blunt or being honest.

^ This.

If blunt means "direct", then I definitely prefer it. Beating around the bush drives me nuts. If blunt means what it usually means when people say they are blunt (rude and tactless), then I have little respect for it.

In any case, everything has its time and place.

I don't like passive aggressive behavior.

You can be blunt in a tactful/respectful way possible.

Or else you're just an ass, when you're an ass.

Latest posts

Back