how do you guys deal with depression?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep myself busy. Lately my weight loss mission and exercise has gotten my mind off it (and from losing weight I feel better). I had to take meds to get out of my deepest depression.

5-HTP is an herbal supplement that has helped me, and St. John Wort is good, but it messes with other medications, so don't take that without talking to a doctor.

To be honest there are a lot of foods that have helped me get out of the dark hole of depression.

^ I have heard that one's diet plays a part in depression. For example, processed food isnt good to eat at all and can fresia with your mindset. Knowing that, what foods have you eaten that helped ease your depression?

sbm1990 said:
^ I have heard that one's diet plays a part in depression. For example, processed food isnt good to eat at all and can fresia with your mindset. Knowing that, what foods have you eaten that helped ease your depression?

Dark leafy greens (I eat spinach daily), eggs, cashews, drinking plenty of water, and cutting out sweets have all helped me. Also, eating less "heavy foods" like high carbohydrate foods.

I do allow myself to drink one can of coke a day, as a reward.

And as far as supplements, I take fish oil, Vitamin D3, Iron, and Zinc daily.

All have helped me after about 2-3 weeks of trying it out.

Since resigning Reuters I had a battle with depression for a while, but found antidepressants I was prescribed had a wide range of side effects, often far worse than the depression they were intended for. Instead I went about changing my diet, and this was helped because I was borderline type 2 diabetic. Taking lots of exercise really helped, too. I eat healthy and feel great except my legs have been troublesome so I exercise in our home gym.

Some antidepressants such as Amitriptyline, Gabapentin and Duloxetine can be used to reduce severe body pain, controlling the way pain messages are transmitted in the brain. However, I reacted badly to the three over a period of time and especially Duloxetine whose side effects were just downright plain evil. In addition to loss of appetite, nausea, increased anxiety and vomiting, Duloxetine caused hallucinations. That damned stuff made me as mad a box of frogs.

Regarding St John's Wort, that can cause psychosis and really, one would best consult a doctor. Herbal remedies are okay, but again, a doctor's advice is always the best option to be certain. Self-diagnosis on Google is potentially dangerous.

Recently I was referred to Health In Mind which is a free NHS service for anyone in East Sussex experiencing these kinds of emotional or psychological difficulties. This website might have availability in other parts of the UK and are worth contacting: http://www.healthinmind.org.uk/
http://www.healthinmind.org.uk/

Music, hobbies, excercise, eating; anything that will help you have a change of pace and maybe help you clear your mind. Try to do any kind of activity that you could enjoy even if you dont feel like doing it now. Its not escaping, unless you start some sort of addiction, its simply giving some time for you emotions to calm down a bit, because liek someone said before if you keep thinking about how depressed you are it can only get worst, so having a chang eof mind will help you feelm better and help the bad emotion settle down a bit quicker. Good luck, and i really do hope that things work out in the end, dont give up yet!

Mostly i used to eat to deal with depression, but now i come to work instead so only time im depressed is when im stop to think, like when i wake up or go to bed alone.

Awe *hugs you*
Things will get better soon stay strong not for your reputation or society but for yourself. See how bad it feels 😑 cmon now be strong strong strong. We'll discuss about it but for now quit listening to sad songs. Okay? I'll tell you some story how to win your joy back in a day.

I've started cutting again. That's how I deal now.

How to deal with depression?

Observe it. Like a third person. Observe it vividly. Feel it intensely. Try to find the meaning of this depression that is going on. I am not saying cause of depression. I am saying, try to see what is physically and mentally happening in your when you are depressed. And it will cease gradually. Thats it.

With the recent suicide of Chris Cornell I keep hearing a familiar message being repeated over and over. That message is that if you are depressed then you need to talk to someone and that there are people that care. I have found neither.

I never took any depression pills ,i used to hurt myself.
i tried to kill myself because of depression.
I tried hard to think positive in every moment ,it's really hard but once you made yourself positive then you never need any pills as my experience.
now sometimes depression hit me badly but I try my best to fight with that.and it's helped me alot.Sharing things with trusted peoples and friend helped too ,but it's really hard to have someone like that.

Stay busy, exercise, meditation, that kind of thing.
Force yourself to go out and do things, even if you don't want to. Don't let yourself make excuses as to why you shouldn't do something.

Latest posts

Back