How do you replace a hobby you love?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elixir

Reaction score
After splitting with my ex I can no longer follow the sport I love. We went to watch a local sports team every weekend & most of my week was spent on the teams forum. I can no longer watch the team as my ex works as a promo officer for them & it'd be impossible not to see her on game nights. Also if I view the forum my ex's pics & posts are all over the place. I'm taking the "no contact" approach to the breakup so I've been keeping away from the sport but I really miss it & I'm hoping I'll meet someone else at some point in the future who shares the same interest, but it's not like I can meet someone at a social event for the sport because I'm keeping away from it.

It's a really difficult one this because there's no other team like this in my area. I also have no-one else to go with :/ I'll go watch them again in the future but only when I'm fully ready which I imagine will be around 2 years.

Not only did i lose an important person in my life, I lost my favourite pass time.

Any advice really would be appreciated!

Hey Elixir:)
I'm sorry to hear that you are in a bad situation. You can't just avoid her
and give up doing things you love because she might be around. The no contact thing is going to hurt you more than it helps.

You can't keep avoiding her or your sports for the rest of your life. You have to face her. You can't go around avoiding contact with her and not going to places you enjoy going to because she may be present.

You are depriving yourself of things you enjoy because she is associated with them. I understand how awkward it is, but you can't go through life dodging people and sacrificing your happiness for her.

Accept this fact. Deal with the awkwardness. It's much better to confront the problem and solve it as opposed to running away.

Hey LoneKiller, thanks for the advice.

The "no contact" thing is the best way for me to move on. I understand where you say I can't stop doing the things I love, but I'd feel like such an idiot if I'm at games by myself.

Luckily the season is over next week & doesn't start again until September, maybe i'll go then if I feel ready, but I really don't want to make my situation any worse. I'm thinking of myself right now :)

Elixir said:
Hey LoneKiller, thanks for the advice.

The "no contact" thing is the best way for me to move on. I understand where you say I can't stop doing the things I love, but I'd feel like such an idiot if I'm at games by myself.

Luckily the season is over next week & doesn't start again until September, maybe i'll go then if I feel ready, but I really don't want to make my situation any worse. I'm thinking of myself right now :)
I understand.:)
I hope that you succeed in everything that you do to help heal yourself. I admire your strength.

Which sport are we talking about?

You could always watch a similar sport or try playing a sport yourself :)

cheer on the rival team?
can you move? lol no jk..

watch the game on cable?

but can I understand something?
was the sport your fav pass time before or after you met your ex?

consider the possibility that you want to go to the games for her then...

cuz I forgot why I asked the question... lol sorry Im no help. :p

Man I really want to know what this sport is now. You're being very cloak and dagger about it. :D

Latest posts

Back