How do you think it happens?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elixir

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just throwing this one out there, I'm sure there have been threads similar to this in the past but I've only been a member for a short while so I thought starting a new thread would be better than resurrecting an older one.

My question basically is, do you think that meeting the right person is like love at first sight? Like those stories that you hear where the first words a guy says to a girl are "I'm going to marry you". It feels like it happens for a reason? When you first set eyes upon them you just know?

Me personally, I'm not so sure. The 2 girls that I've had relationships with, yes I thought they were nice when I first layed eyes upon them, but I didn't exactly go all funny inside & think "she's the one" or "she's too good to miss". The reality of both situations is that if I'd never seen them again I wouldn't have been bothered.

I'd really like to think you did go all funny inside when you first meet someone though. Like you're stood at a bus stop & someone gets off the bus & your jaw falls to the ground & you get butterflies. Everything falls into place from the first conversation, you both want to see & speak to eachother as much as the other person does, you just feel so darn good in that moment you wouldn't want to be anyone else, anywhere else.

But I'm yet to experience anything like that.

If this has happened to any of you please share your story, I'd be really intrigued to know.

I can't say that I believe in love at first site. I think it's all drama. It sounds sweet and romantic, and makes for a nice story, but I've heard people say that they have never felt this way about a woman/man before, my heart races at the thought of her/him, I feel something very special inside. All of this to only crumble in a relationship
when all of these feelings are supposedly present and can conquer all adversity. Hogwash.

I beleive in it, not likely to happen to everyone. I'm not talking about heart racing and madly in love. I just experienced it, when we met after chatting for a month, we both knew we would stay together, but the feeling was reassuring, grounding. Its simply knowing and beeing happy and confortable.
I beleive anything dramatic is likely to loose its passion after a while... i wouldnt call it love at first sight, i,d call it strong attraction at first site.

Love at first sight...nah... more like lust. But that's where it starts usually. After a few days of really getting to know each other, yeah I think it's probably easy to see where things will go from there on out. But looks mean nothing, just attraction to me. And I've thought someone was hot but I'd never date them if their actions weren't something I liked.

I've definitely had it where I could kinda see if a friend would last or not, or if we would get along at first impression. As for love though...no I have never experienced it where I had that lust at first site and actually dated that person. Never has happened to me.

happened to me once...

you know that scene when homer first meets marge?

I totally get that feeling..
slow motion... heart beat... and unclear senses...

I've never experienced this "love at first sight." It seems to have always been a gradual intensification of feelings and impressions over a given course of time. The actualisation of "falling in love" with her would strike me at an unexpected moment, and it sure hurts when it happens.

I realised something recently. When I'm falling in love (or having very strong emotional attraction, as some may prefer to say); it is best if I clearly rationalise and intercept such feelings from getting out of hand, while being mindful of the fact that there is not the slightest chance she would be interested in a guy like me, and my hopes of getting to know her, even as a friend, are but a definite impossibility and a maddened fantasy. And that I should be fully aware of this truth, so when I'm hit with the pain and disappointment brought in the end with the despair of such feelings dying out in vain, it won't hurt too bad. Hard to do, but it only seems right to be realistic in such a futile circumstance.

From what I have run into, women on dating sites only believe in love at first site. They state they require an initial "click" or "chemistry" you are not "the one".
Gets annoying when you don't know what they are looking for so it's impossible for there to be an automatic "click".

Latest posts

Back