How Do You Think The World Would Change If Animals Could Talk?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
Have you ever wondered what the world would be like if animals could talk? What ways would you think the world would change? I guess one example would be a trout trying to convince you to let him off the hook and go after the other trout below him which is much bigger.

Maybe they would have more rights since they'd be able to VOICE their feelings. :p

Badjedidude said:
They'd be talking.
And that's about it.

^ This ^

We're too stupid to take the time to listen to each other, animals would just be more ignored voices in the background as we strive to satisfy our own selfish desires.

The world would be a better place if animals could talk. Then, at least we can talk to them when people won't talk to us.

It would be great because they don't destroy the planet like we do, much to learn from them.

But probably turn us all into 'veggie' eaters, don't think I could roast something I once had a conversation with.

Unless we are also increasing their intelligence, I think a lot of animals would be saying things like, "Hungry! I'm hungry! I smell... Oh, food! Nom Nom Nom." "What's that big thing with the noise? Scary! Ahh!" "Itchy! Gotta scratch!"

I think there would be plenty fascinating things to learn from non-human animals if they could talk, and if we could understand them. Humans are so quick to conclude all other animals as stupid.. I think these people would be shocked if animals could voice their thoughts.

But I believe humans would remain just as horrible to other animals as always they are

I don't think they need to talk, they are pretty expressive as they are... You just got to know how to listen. Their language is more subtile. Perception and emphaty play a greater rol in their communication. It leaves little room to lies and deception.

Felix said:
I don't think they need to talk, they are pretty expressive as they are... You just got to know how to listen. Their language is more subtile. Perception and emphaty play a greater rol in their communication. It leaves little room to lies and deception.

Good point about little room for lies and deception. They still row though Cats make a terrible racket verbally when having a scrap or prior to one.

They would spill all our dirty little secrets. Think about it, if there is one thing that catches you doing things you shouldn't it is your animals. They are the ones we talk to about private stuff just to get it off our chest. Animals would be getting booked on talk shows like crazy.

Sci-Fi said:
They would spill all our dirty little secrets. Think about it, if there is one thing that catches you doing things you shouldn't it is your animals. They are the ones we talk to about private stuff just to get it off our chest. Animals would be getting booked on talk shows like crazy.
That would be like Barack Obama's dog ratting him out after catching him smoking a blunt in the oval office at 3 a.m.

Of course the world would change XD
You've taken a fundamental rule "Animals Can't talk" and transformed it. The world would fundamentally change from far simpler changes like making 10 animals talk.

What do they say? There is a great line between making words and being able to use them in conversation and understanding more complex things. If we have 'increased' the intelligence of a dog in the particular ability for him to talk... well that just means he'll be able to make it to about a 3-4 year old level of understanding by the time he's about to die of old age and the dog will most likely always be unable to perceive or understand certain concepts, even some that humans consider basic.

With this sort of 'intelligence', animals all over would become more protected, and we would probably all go vegetarian as farmers felt guilty when the cow could scream out "No!". But we wouldn't grant most animals a very high place in society or anything. A few animals, those that are already considered the most intelligent, might get granted 'personhood' by some governments. That is, they would be given full rights. I doubt full rights of humans would be given to all animals though. The most intelligent of these animals could even learn to work at complicated jobs. Your calls might get directed to a pig instead of a man in India when your computer is freezing up. Of course, if they can work, they can also get a job instead of you, or collect unemployment...

But of course, this brings into question what you meant by 'animals'... Insects are considered animals by scientific definition, so does that mean the ants on the ground can say hi to me or scream when i accidentally squash one of their legs? the Flies in the air?

Mankind will soon grow use to hearing the screams from our day to day activities, and I suspect mankind's entire system would break down, with millions dying. Those who do survive would probably become use to the noise of the animals and stop caring. This might even, ultimately, make a humanity where the strongest and the majority are even less moral towards the screams of other humans as they have grown use to the screams of the animals. There would, of course, be some minority group which went all monk and survived trying never to hurt a fly, but they would be as large as the monks are today... that is tiny and barely hanging on to existence.

Oh wait... Maybe I took this thread too seriously. XD

Sci-Fi said:

I am now visualising you as Dr Dolittle Sci -Fi :D

But you are right pets can be trusted with their unconditional love and funny how my old cat used to look at me as if he understood when I was fed up.

A_T_Swordsman said:
Oh wait... Maybe I took this thread too seriously. XD

interesting and intriguing that we would still be selective as to the most intelligent animals. I could see that happening.

Speech usually marks greater levels of intelligence. A talking animal would need high level cognitive functions in order to comprehend speech and produce it. Of course, with higher levels of cognitive function would come the ability to judge others, to lie and decieve, as well as to use and betray. Dogs might not be so loving.

Also, there would probably be mass starvation, as high levels of food would be needed to sustain cognitive function. Herbivores would be the first to go, as grass supplies too little calories to support a neo-cortex.

Predators would be reduced to cannibalism when the herbivores are gone. I imagine some animals might become great poets, lamenting the death of the age and such and such.

:D

Wessik said:
Predators would be reduced to cannibalism when the herbivores are gone. I imagine some animals might become great poets, lamenting the death of the age and such and such.

:D

YIKES ! you are right, a pack of wild dogs could sit and discuss how they are going to corner you and who is going to have what bits for dinner.

Sci-Fi said:
maybe youre worried your cat will start telling everyone how many times its watched you toss your junk around? lol

i dont think it would be a problem in my house.. the cat would get devoiced along with it's manhood and front claws before it learned to say mommy ;p

I think we'd see a switch from dogs to cats as "man's best friend." Dogs tend to be obnoxious and over-talkative. They are also overly honest.

Cats of the other hand, you could probably trust with secrets. They only speak when they need something, rather than bugging you all the time.

Walley said:
Sci-Fi said:
maybe youre worried your cat will start telling everyone how many times its watched you toss your junk around? lol

i dont think it would be a problem in my house.. the cat would get devoiced along with it's manhood and front claws before it learned to say mommy ;p

Except I don't have a cat, no pet at all. :p

Latest posts

Back